Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-09-2011, 03:52 AM   #1
bumblebabe
SoCal Race Team #10

Drives: 2012 CTH 2SS/RS
Do you get challenged a lot?

I've had my new Camaro for maybe 6 or 7 hours, and I'm driving home after a night of driving around town answering many text messages of "Come over I want to see it!"... While stopped at a light, a brand new BMW all blacked out with limo tint and still sporting the dealership plates revs his engine and "challenges" me ... so after beating him off the line and til the next light he basically hovered around me waiting/hoping for a race for a good 2 miles. I just sort of laughed the whole way home and enjoyed my reward of seeing a cop car hiding out on a side street as I passed going the speed limit.

Is this what I should come to expect in my TF3? It's brand new and mod less, so I'm curious who else gets these fun/funny little moments.

Current mods: CAI intake, catback exhaust upgrade
Future mods: too many to list

Tundra CrewMax SR5, TRD, 5.7L V8, 2" Lift, 381 HP; 401 ft lb
bumblebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
Bomber
Byron4

Drives: SS RJT
I just got my Camaro last Friday and drove it from Austin, TX back to Denver (1200 miles) and I did not have this yet. I did how ever get a lot of thumbs up and I saw a white Camaro pulled over just before OKC.
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
I had more run-ins with "challengers" in my 4th gen SS than my 5th gen SS. So far just some ricer "flyby's" and nothing more. I'm guessing the rice comes around for a look then runs off to find slower competition.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
bumblebabe
SoCal Race Team #10

Drives: 2012 CTH 2SS/RS
I actually got a guy in a Prius chat me up while I was on my test drive before I signed the paperwork, talking about how he just recently sold his previous gen... he seemed very sad about it and obviously thought I was younger than I am because he left me with a "good luck and keep both hands on the wheel! no texting!" hahahaha

But mostly good looks and smiles - this BMW was my first run in, and it was about midnight at the time in an area of tons of spoiled teenagers.

Current mods: CAI intake, catback exhaust upgrade
Future mods: too many to list

Tundra CrewMax SR5, TRD, 5.7L V8, 2" Lift, 381 HP; 401 ft lb
bumblebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
Ive had mine about 2 months and after owning a Transm Ws6, I was kinda surprised because nobody was picking a fight, not that I was hoping for one. But last night, I was taking my 68 year old mother home from the hospital and was at a red light. A Dodge Hemi truck bounced off the stoplight as if he was racing me. I didnt know we were racing but I got caught up in the moment and pasted poor mom against her seat. I made short work of the Hemi, tapped the Brembos and told mom I just dodged a deer.
RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Not sure if you guys realize that this forum has rules against posting about street racing. Hate to be a Debbie downer, but just letting you know
Old 10-09-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Pics of the car please...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:56 AM   #8
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
And what's a TF3? I'm assuming you mean a 2SS. That's all that really matters. The color of your car is a personal thing.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:00 AM   #9
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXIIIDave View Post
And what's a TF3? I'm assuming you mean a 2SS. That's all that really matters. The color of your car is a personal thing.
Transformer edition camaro?
Old 10-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #10
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #11
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
Yes, I know what TF3 means. I try to put it out of my mind, because I'm not a child.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #12
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
Quote:
Yes, I know what TF3 means. I try to put it out of my mind, because I'm not a child.
Ouch, a bit harsh. It IS a special edition, many people refer to them that way. To each their own, right?

Bumblebabe, to answer your question- No, I don't get many challengers, but my car has a bit more 'tude and rumble than stock. On the rare times that I do get challenged it is usually by some weenie in a ricer that has no chance. That said, we all know that a fart-can exhaust adds at least 100 horsepower to a 4-cylinder so maybe I need to be more careful...
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
Needs Exhaust!

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2008 XLR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebabe View Post
I've had my new Camaro for maybe 6 or 7 hours, and I'm driving home after a night of driving around town answering many text messages of "Come over I want to see it!"... While stopped at a light, a brand new BMW all blacked out with limo tint and still sporting the dealership plates revs his engine and "challenges" me ... so after beating him off the line and til the next light he basically hovered around me waiting/hoping for a race for a good 2 miles. I just sort of laughed the whole way home and enjoyed my reward of seeing a cop car hiding out on a side street as I passed going the speed limit.

Is this what I should come to expect in my TF3? It's brand new and mod less, so I'm curious who else gets these fun/funny little moments.
I'm seventeen and have never had idiots want to race me on the streets. If I do any racing, it would be around a track . However, I do have other fun/funny little moments but those won't be shared with the group .

Also, just because the BMW had dealer plates does not mean that it was a car being test drove. My father has dealer plates because he has a dealer license, not because he owns a dealership. Just sharing some knowledge .
Needs Exhaust! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
Do I get challenged frequently?

Not too much... when it's another Camaro I know he/she is just playing around...

When it's a hyundai elentra I just have to grin and wonder who could be that stupid. (yes, this actually happened this past week... and yes... I know "you never know what's under the hood", but this one still had the car dealer fake plate on it, obvioiusly plain stock.... especially considering how long it took them to catch up and over take me. (I don't "race", but I will get up to the speed limit REALLY fast, as fast as safely possible that is)

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote