Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #29
ABM Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro
I was thinking 1 7/8 headers and do they connect directly into the stock exhaust? my wife doesnt want the car to loud
ABM Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #30
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
i copied it....

also if your running headers into a stock exhaust system, you may not be doing much.
Tha fuq? Man the gains had from cat backs are minimal if not non existing besides the weak sound and heavy cans ls3 exhausts are extremely free flowing! Just an fyi
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #31
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
Tha fuq? Man the gains had from cat backs are minimal if not non existing besides the weak sound and heavy cans ls3 exhausts are extremely free flowing! Just an fyi

I think he is referring to the always relevant carbureted big blocks from back in the day.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #32
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
is there any data like this that is relevant to our mordern engines? i feel that that info was not at all releavant to modern engines but i did learn something from it. I now want to know if the the results for the shorty vs long and various primary sizes when compared to each other over the whole rpm band vice just peak numbers that get thrown around so much
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #33
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM Camaro View Post
Hi guys,
I have a 2010 SS. I searched and and I think Im ready to start the modification. The air intake seems to be the first mod and I want to do all the work/install myself, but what are the best modifications and brand names about $500 each. Since

1) What brand of air intake and I want to keep my washer bottle in place. I read the air intake thread, but the runs didn't seem consistent or were on different test cars so I discounted the information.

2) throttle body and manifold.

3) What type of headers. I see stainless steel power (SSP) and stainless steel work. What's the difference? If the SSP rust out in two years, I don't want them, but they are priced cheap, but why?

I guess im asking you to list what three performance modifications you bought in or under the $500 range.
FYI, its just Stainless Power, not stainless steel power, also you said will the stainless rust out in two years, stainless steel doesnt rust.

They are a quality set, made by Stainless Works, a quality company.

Intake wise, get a CAI, Inc. (cold air inductions brand).

But seriously, search.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #34
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
I think he is referring to the always relevant carbureted big blocks from back in the day.
Lol someone needs to freshen up the modern era engines a bit more lol now @ right to travel to this date the stepped kooks headers were yhe best on the market since they will go from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 allowing the air to compress and rush in at the beginning and then expanding and allowing more air to come by and get released out the back so you get the low end from the 1 3\4 with the top end of the 1 7/8. Now these new tri y headers are suppose to be the next big thing for around the same price as the competition so ill save my pennies for those just my .02.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #35
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
[QUOTE=vroomapunk;6741898]FYI, its just Stainless Power, not stainless steel power

HAHA! Stainless Steel Wool Power Rangers headers!!
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #36
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
guys just wanted you to know the Texas Speed headers are back in stock!!

http://www.texas-speed.com/c-51-headers-x-pipes.aspx
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #37
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
so headers know the difference between a carburetor and fuel injection....who knew?
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #38
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
So let's rock the boat here.

Take all 3 of those $500 budgets and install a Cam.

Guaranteed it'll make you more happy than all three of whatever $500 mods are out there.

And yes, it's something that anybody can do themselves.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #39
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
so headers know the difference between a carburetor and fuel injection....who knew?
Ah, you stepped in it now.

Headers do not know the difference but craburetors don't have a nice PCM to adjust the fuel flow to get the AFR back into range. This is where the "cars need backpressure" myth came from. Muffler shops would swap to a free flowing exhaust and the cars would lose a noticeable amount of HP and Tq. They attributed the loss to the engine needing the backpressure of the smaller exhaust, hense the backpressure myth. If you were to take that same carb'd small block with larger headers and rejet it for added air being pulled through the engine, it would show the same gains we show.

Google is a wonderful thing. You just have to USE IT.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #40
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Ah, you stepped in it now.

Headers do not know the difference but craburetors don't have a nice PCM to adjust the fuel flow to get the AFR back into range. This is where the "cars need backpressure" myth came from. Muffler shops would swap to a free flowing exhaust and the cars would lose a noticeable amount of HP and Tq. They attributed the loss to the engine needing the backpressure of the smaller exhaust, hense the backpressure myth. If you were to take that same carb'd small block with larger headers and rejet it for added air being pulled through the engine, it would show the same gains we show.

Google is a wonderful thing. You just have to USE IT.
And understand. It not just copy and paste lol
Old 07-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #41
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
"Headers do not know the difference"

thanks for the heads up...
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #42
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
So let's rock the boat here.

Take all 3 of those $500 budgets and install a Cam.

Guaranteed it'll make you more happy than all three of whatever $500 mods are out there.

And yes, it's something that anybody can do themselves.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125123

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
I second that!..but a minimum would be getting some sort of headers...

CAI/tune/nitrous is gonna give you a huge HP boost too.

Halltech CAI doesnt need to relocate the washer reservoir.

I'd get 2'' TSP headers for the price, nothing can beat it.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote