Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Drives: SIM 2LT
Stress Riser .. Check your windshield ASAP

First let me say I tried to get a picture of the issue but its impossible. I wil try again over next couple days and see if I can get a picture.

Today I am cleaning my windshield and above the shaded part of the windshield I see a crack. Its shaped like a star. Its about an inch to the right of the blacked out square in the middle of the windshield where the rearview mirror is. Its about an inch above the blacked out area about an inch below the rim of the windshield. See pic below for an general area pic

I run my finger over it and cannot find an impact spot. Look closely at it and it looks like its inside. I look inside the car and cannot see any damage or any crack. So I run over to speedy auto glass and ask one of the guys if its possible to have an crack in a windshield without an impact mark. he says no. So I ask him to look at it.

He looks it over goes into the shop and get a magnifier. puts the magnifier over the crack and cannot see an impact mark and says its cracked from the inside. He tells me I should bring it to the dealer right away.

So I drive over to the dealer and go to service. They take a look at it and the supervisor tells me its a Stress Riser. it caused by stress on the windshield that may have been caused by something putting stress on the windshield when it was installed. The good news is he said its covered and a new windshield has been ordered.

Now if the windshield had cracked before I noticed it would they have covered it under warrenty. Would the crack have opened so it looked like something had impacted it.

Check your windshields. Catch it before its gets bigger.

The picture below shows the location of the crack its next to impossible to get a picture of the actual crack becasue of the black background of the windshield location

Old 08-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
CloudXTC

Drives: 1LT|RS|SIM|M6|BA Stereo
good to know.. good to hear it getting replaced too

1LT | RS | M6 | SIM | BA Stereo
1000 - [07-23-2009] Order Made at dealer
1100 - [08-04-2009] Preliminary order accepted
2000 - [08-25-2009] Accepted by GM
3000 - [09-01-2009] Accepted by production control TPW = 10-05-2009
3300 - [09-28-2009] Scheduled for production
3400 - [10-01-2009] Broadcast - Being Built
3800 - [10-13-2009] Produced - Built- VIN 2G1xxx54917
4200 - [10-19-2009] Shipped
5000 - [10-19-2009] Delivered to the dealer
6000 - [10-20-2009] Delivered to the customer

CloudXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
sigma_1966
My baby is here

The dealership was amazing about it. No hassles or arguments they said we will order the windshield and call you when it arrives. Full explanation of how it could happen. Another good experience at North York Chevrolet. They have a black 2LT with RS and white stripes automatic and a 2LT IOM with auto and the rs package in the showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudXTC View Post
good to know.. good to hear it getting replaced too

Last edited by sigma_1966; 08-25-2009 at 08:45 PM.
sigma_1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
On the same note but different: Today I cleaned the inside of my windshield with Windex- Not an easy job due to the slant/tight area. I then figured I would do the inner rear glass. I took one look and decided I would have one of my grown kids do it.
I'm 60+ so even getting in the back seat would be a chore for me. You guys, Enjoy your youth !.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
FYI.... In most states your insurance company has to replace all front glass without a charge to you ....... Reason being it is a safety issue ....
Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Checked mine out, no crack
Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Laserjen

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
FYI.... In most states your insurance company has to replace all front glass without a charge to you ....... Reason being it is a safety issue ....
I don't know about that...my understanding was that they had to repair it for you at no charge. If it needs replaced (crack is too big or whatever), your deductible applies. That's how my insurance is, anyway.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Look at it every once in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andro View Post
Checked mine out, no crack
Old 08-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
katman

Drives: 2LT Auto RS sunroof
Slingshot - You are wrong, LaserJen is correct. Almost all insurance companies offer free windshield REPAIR. If you need windshield replacement, your comprehensive deductible will apply. The reason for the free repair has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with saving the insurance company money. If the consumer had to pay for a repair or have the insurance company pay for a new plate of glass minus your deductible, which would you choose? By the way, the repair is permanent and almost always perfect, and a new windshield might leak, whereas a windshield installed at the factory almost never leaks. Most repairs are possible if smaller than a dollar bill in size and not directly in the driver's vision.
katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserjen View Post
I don't know about that...my understanding was that they had to repair it for you at no charge. If it needs replaced (crack is too big or whatever), your deductible applies. That's how my insurance is, anyway.
There shouldn't be any deductible involved for the front glass, reason being in most states it's against the law to drive with a cracked windshield. Ive had several replaced from getting hit by rocks. The installers just ask for you insurance info, and bill them directly... The states I've dealt with are Michigan and Florida and it's never been an issue replacing at no cost ....
Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
In connecticut insurance companies must offer "full glass coverage"- No deductable no matter what for all glass claims. Regulations can vary from state to state.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #12
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
not entirely true... with most insurance companies the windshield is covered under the comprehensive part of the insurance normally haveing a deductible. some states and insurance companies dont require a deductible.
Camarofan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
By the way, the repair is permanent and almost always perfect, and a new windshield might leak, whereas a windshield installed at the factory almost never leaks. Most repairs are possible if smaller than a dollar bill in size and not directly in the driver's vision.[/QUOTE]

this is not true either. rock chip repairs are not always permanent and perfect. in fact there is no suck thing as a perfect rock chip repair. you will always see soem part of the chip whether it be the impact mark or the cracks themselves. rock chip repairs are to postpone replaceing your windshield. if you have a good reputable shop do your install it will be as good as factory. yes sometimes you get a leak now and then, but once again if you go to a reputable shop they wont hesitate to fix it. (meaning pull the glass and do it over)
Camarofan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Slingshot, you're getting the words "most" and "few" mixed up. There are far more states that do not require insurance to cover the cost of windshield replacement then those that do.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote