Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #57
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Thaaat's it.......

It's standard, as it's a configuration of the suspension...not a "thing they added", per-say...
The sways and such...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #58
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
The sways and such...
Should be negligible, if not less...but that's something so detailed we haven't a chance at guessing till it's torn apart in a shop somewhere.

EDIT:

I hadn't realized they'd released information on the diameter of the new sways...

Off-hand, I don't know the diameter of the 2010-2011 or aftermarket sways...but here's the release on the 2012 FE4 improvement. I imagine we could infer a weight based on what we've been given.

Just keep in mind they're longer in 2012...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
FE4 suspension enhances performance

The new FE4 suspension debuts as a performance improvement for the Camaro SS coupe in 2012, focusing on more refined handling.

“Our objective was to create a more precise sport suspension for the SS coupe, with greater road-holding capability,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. ”We applied lessons learned from extensive track testing to better refine the suspension geometry for flatter cornering, a more neutral balance during hard turns, and minimized understeer at the limit.”

Elements of the FE4 package include:
  • Retuned front and rear dampers
  • New solid front (23 mm) and rear (24 mm) stabilizer bars
  • Twenty-inch aluminum wheels and P245/45R20 front/P275/40R20 rear tires (SS).
More than just new components, the new FE4 performance suspension incorporates learning from the ongoing development of the high-performance Camaro ZL1. In particular, the suspension geometry has been adjusted, including reshaped stabilizer bars that are repositioned outboard of the shock mounts. This results in more effective body control and more precise response in performance driving.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #59
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
That's the main reason behind my Z28 campaign is to keep the chatter alive, it totally killed my momentum in your first post but gave me some hope on your follow up. I love solving problems, especially problems that seem hopeless but no problem that cannot be solved. I am met with resistance but who cares, that's half the fun. As for the super Mustang, we will save the details for when they are confirmed (and nobody will lose their job). That being said, I think the announcement of the Z28 will be a great defense to the next Gen Mustang. You really got me thinking now, I think a full Camaro lineup including the possible Z28 (released in spring 2013) would be difficult to beat. I am beginning to think that a mid Gen refresh would be better served as a last resort, maybe when the actual Mustang III hits the lots. I am working on the curb weight for the Z28 but need the weight of the FE4 option, for it will be an essential piece of the chassis.

By the way, thank you for reading my thread and the post that pertained to the Z28. Also, thank you for the respect on this perticular topic.
Pill, when you are talking in the speculative, all thoughts, ideas and opinions are fair game. Sometimes those discussions will delve into areas of fact (GG Tax) and hopefully the discussion remains respectful and we all learn from it.

As for the NG Mustang, your insights aren't off the wall. Even if you were going by your own instincts and ideas it's probably not far off from at least what Ford might like to do, even if they don't or can't. You seem fairly confident so I'll only say that my experience is that unless you know somebody who IS working on the program and IS risking their job by leaking information, then I wouldn't count on it. As I said, internet speculation, even good internet speculation can be a wide margin from fact. I see a LOT of "a guy I know........" comments about GM products on the internet that are so far off you would laugh if you knew the truth. In the industry, there is a lot of internal "what if we.............." and suddently somebody saw a memo or overheard a hallway conversation and it gets out as FACT....................only it was a 5 minute study that resulted in a "never mind, I thought we could go that way". So I'll defer to your confidence because I don't keep as close to Ford stuff other than our internal "counter intelligence" activity Besides, my friends at Ford don't tell me much other than how much they luuuvvvvvv their jobs. No, really they don't tell me anything. You'd think something would slip after that 3rd beverage, but nothing...................that I'd ever admit to.................comes up. Strange.

And for what it's worth, I believe we are at a historical time in the auto industry. In 2016, CAFE will rule the world as far as we know it today. Do an internet search and look at what China is proposing. They are actually worse than CAFE in the out years. In some worse case scenarios, they may be at 50 MPG + in the very near future. And with many cities in Europe proposing "no drive" times for gas AND diesel cars and trucks. CO2, Green House Gas regulations. They will drive us to a new and very different future. Even if oil is not a rare item, the demand for it in countries with rather large populations (China and India) will only go up. So we are at what I beleive to be the Zenith of gasoline fueled performance. The simple fact that you can go to Ford and GM and have a choice of 500+ HP cars is simply insane. And those cars still are capable of 20 mpg give or take. But 5 or 10 years, this simply will be so heavily regulated or cost constrained due to the price of fuel that it will simply be harder and harder to get cars like the ZL1, Z06, GT500 to market in such an affordable manner. It might be why I love these discussions. Talking about a Z28 is not far fetched today. It's a possibility..............it could happen.................maybe. But in by 2025 that conversation may require biblical tones to be realistic.

So could we tolerate a 2025 discussion about a Z28 with electric propulsion? Or is our historical reference to what a Z28 is make that impossible.

Hmmmmmm maybe too profound a question. It's easier to speculate on 2012 and 2013 than 2025. I haven't heard any rumors on 2025 yet. LOL
Old 05-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #60
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Should be negligible, if not less...but that's something so detailed we haven't a chance at guessing till it's torn apart in a shop somewhere.

EDIT:

I hadn't realized they'd released information on the diameter of the new sways...

Off-hand, I don't know the diameter of the 2010-2011 or aftermarket sways...but here's the release on the 2012 FE4 improvement. I imagine we could infer a weight based on what we've been given.

Just keep in mind they're longer in 2012...
The FE4 option added some 40lbs to the Corvette but that included a bit more hardware. I believe the Z51's. That is something I would like to see on the Z28, the Z51's with the FE4 like the Z06.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #61
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
The FE4 option added some 40lbs to the Corvette but that included a bit more hardware. I believe the Z51's. That is something I would like to see on the Z28, the Z51's with the FE4 like the Z06.
I wasn't aware they assigned the "FE4" designation to the Z51 package on Corvette...in any event, Z51 did add more heavy-duty components, including brake rotors.

Anyways, you may be more interested to look into the Grand Sport Corvette...it's a base Corvette with the Z06's suspension and bodywork. It replaced the Z51 package available on Corvettes.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #62
Formula

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Because I just traded in my 2009 s197 GT in for a 2010 2SS, I can speak a little about the Mustang vs Camaro.

Head room, the Mustang destroys the Camaro, I'm 6' and have already hit my head off the roof of the camaro 2x, I never hit it in the Mustang. It might be the seat position or the roof slant, but the Mustang wins that.

Shoulder width, Camaro hands down, the Camaro is a much more overall comfortable car. I'm 195 lbs and have a wide back.

Back seat, Camaro wins, the roof has a more aggressive slant to the back window, it gives the rear passengers more space directly above thier heads. People have hit their head on the back window of my mustang a few times (Im sure the 460whp didn't help that). Leg space seems about the same.

Ride, My camaro is lowered, and my Mustang was set up for drag racing (no front sway bar, anti-squat, etc..) so I can't compare the two. The Camaro is a more fun car to drive though.

acceleration, again, I cant compare because the mustang was heavily modified.

attention, they get about the same total amount of attention. The Camaro gets more attention from young people, the mustang got more from older people.

seat comfort, both are very comfortable

user interface (buttons, controls, etc..), mustang all the way. The camaro needs a bunch of clicks to get to any of the settings, the mustang was simplified. The camaro also has more features, so that might just be a trade off.

thats about all the comparisons I can think of, if you have one that you would like for me to think about, let me know.
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #63
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Pill, let's take an alternate look at a "speculated" Z28.
Start with a ZL1 and go "back" to a Z28. This could(?) be easier for GM, to de-content.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #64
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Pill, let's take an alternate look at a "speculated" Z28.
Start with a ZL1 and go "back" to a Z28. This could(?) be easier for GM, to de-content.
You could start with a SS and go "forward" to a Z/28.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #65
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

I'd like to see a ZL1 minus the LSA, mag suspension and heavy power seats. Add back an LS3 with as close to 475hp as possible, an adjustable beefed up suspension and manual more supportive seats. Add a Z28 inspired front fascia, hood and rear spoiler.
Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #66
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
You could start with a SS and go "forward" to a Z/28.
Been there done that!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #67
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
I'd like to see a ZL1 minus the LSA, mag suspension and heavy power seats. Add back an LS3 with as close to 475hp as possible, an adjustable beefed up suspension and manual more supportive seats. Add a Z28 inspired front fascia, hood and rear spoiler.
Any thoughts?
You had me right up to the 475 HP LS3. Where is that supposed to come from exactly.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #68
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You had me right up to the 475 HP LS3. Where is that supposed to come from exactly.
One can dream right?!
I did say as close didn't I???
Old 05-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #69
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

BTW Number 3 would this way of doing things (stripping back from another model) assist in speeding up a project?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #70
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
One can dream right?!
I did say as close didn't I???
Sure, and not even saying it couldn't happen. It's just the toughets link in your list.

Quote:
BTW Number 3 would this way of doing things (stripping back from another model) assist in speeding up a project?
Most definitely. The more things you have that have already been tested and to meet your requirements, the easier it will be. So to simply take the chassis bits from the ZL1 and take away MR would be much easier than to try to develop another all new suspension. And to simply maintain an SS interior instead of an all new Z28 specific interior is a no brainer. So a unique fascia would be a bit of work, but a new engine or higher output engine would require some work. For example, if you get your 475 HP LS3 that you are dreaming of would you use the trans and rear axle from the SS? or would you use the heavier duty bits from the ZL1? The ZL1 with a lower output engine would be easier, but heavier. The SS driveline would require the same torque management in the base LS3. So the more KNOWNS you can start with the easier the work to get there.