Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
waxing over my hood/trunk stripes

Hello to all,

I just took pocession of a new dark gray Camaro with silver stripes. Instead of paint under clear coat they look like only some sort of vinyl stricker on the hood/trunk areas so I now wonder how long can I expect the stripes to stay soft and plyable. When I get my baby washed is there a wax that can be applied to keep the stripes from drying out and cracking??? I was also thinking on spending some money on getting it Scotchguarded inside and out over the entire car or some other coating like Seal a Jet. What do you all think

Sincerly,

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I feel the vinyl is by its nature, not very long-lasting. Then again I saw Trans Ams with perfectly good hood decals in junkyards in the '90s. But I'm not in LA.

I use a synthetic wax partly because of the stripes- carnuba wax, which I use once a year- does make white rings around the stripes and it's a PITA.

That doesn't mean it will dry out in a month. But it will matter what you'll do, depending on if the stripes are matte (dull) or gloss (shiny). Which do you have?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailclerk View Post
Hello to all,

I just took pocession of a new dark gray Camaro with silver stripes. Instead of paint under clear coat they look like only some sort of vinyl stricker on the hood/trunk areas so I now wonder how long can I expect the stripes to stay soft and plyable. When I get my baby washed is there a wax that can be applied to keep the stripes from drying out and cracking??? I was also thinking on spending some money on getting it Scotchguarded inside and out over the entire car or some other coating like Seal a Jet. What do you all think

Sincerly,

Mail Clerk
Keep them properly washed and seal them. I wouldn't wax them because it can lead to a glossy finish on matte stripes.

And like I tell everyone, for the money you spend on scotchguard which I thought was an inside only product and seal a jet (I think you mean Chemical Guys JetSeal?) I would just invest it in products and spend your time learning it yourself. But for the interior I'd recommend CarPro Fabric and Leather Coating, and for the exterior if you want a permanent type coating I'd recommend Opti-Coat 2.0. Or just a good combo sealant (for everything on the exterior) like Sonax Net Shield, Menzerna Power Lock, and wax (all painted surfaces) such as Adam's Americana, Chemical Guys Pete's 53, etc... Depending on the money spent which I'd say for my area would be around $400-500, you could easily build a great inventory to do not only that but much more plus learn the skill.

Last edited by ec1990; 07-08-2013 at 10:25 PM.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
mailclerk

ec1990,

I think it's spelled Cilajet.

mail Clerk
Old 07-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Use Zaino Products on the decals. That will keep them looking great for quite awhile!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdog89 View Post
Use Zaino Products on the decals. That will keep them looking great for quite awhile!
I use the Z-6 on my whole car including the stripes.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Dylan made a nice how-to video a while back on how to care for vinyl stripes, check it out here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...+vinyl+stripes
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
If you have mat stripes there are specialty waxes to use. If they are the glossy ones like mine, I just use regular wax, and I've never had a problem.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
I have glossy stripes on mine, and I just used the Adams Brillant Glaze, it took off the water spots and even the built up wax around the edges of the stripes.
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
mailclerk

warren3537,

I too have the semi glossy stripes but I've already just had my car Cilajet so everything should be sealed for another 5 years.

Mail Clerk