Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #127
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
So base V8 could be the LS2 (this could be what GM was alluding to by saying a few V8's...maybe they have some they need to get rid of...hehe). Then, the LS3 could be an upgrade...with a SC OR LSA being the top engine.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #128
alleykt123
err… MEOW!

Drives: 2005 GTO
Send a message via AIM to alleykt123 Send a message via Yahoo to alleykt123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
So base V8 could be the LS2 (this could be what GM was alluding to by saying a few V8's...maybe they have some they need to get rid of...hehe)
This is what happened when the GTO was introduced in 2004. Introductory year had the LS1 engine, but LS2s were standard in the 2005 and '06 models.

Kinda makes me wonder if Chevy is doing the same thing for the Camaro's introductory model…

Quote:
Motorcycle Cop: Whatcha got in the trunk?
J. Frank Parnell: Oh... You don't wanna look in there.

Repo Man
alleykt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #129
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
I will wait for the LS3 and i'm even having thoughts of waiting for a convertible. who knows this is kind of annoying me having all this damn wait time.. maybe i'll just say **** it and buy me a trans am and 4th gen camaro convertible and just rock it old school.

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #130
Kahlis
Gotta love this shit!

Drives: 1981 Camaro Z28
Will they have differences between trims? Perhaps the "base V8" and RS will could have the LS2. Then step it up to the LS3 for the SS and Z28.

And when/who decided the SS would be Chevy's top trim model? A couple years before they Camaro died, Chevy was throwing SS tags on a lot of models. More specifically, the Z28 kinda lost it's namesake. Personally, I see it as "Z28" being Camaro's most powerful trim. A SS badge has been thrown on everything from Camaros and Chevelles to Novas, and even now on Silverados and Cobolts. But there has only even been one car to ever hold the title "Z28".

Will there be a combination trim as well? Ie, SS/Z28? So I propose they put the LS2 in the base model and RS, LS3 in the SS and Z28, and if a combo trim model become available, slap in the rootblown LS3.

If they are truly going retro, they need to respect the 60s outlook on trim models and put the Z back on top!
Kahlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #131
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlis View Post
Will they have differences between trims? Perhaps the "base V8" and RS will could have the LS2. Then step it up to the LS3 for the SS and Z28.

And when/who decided the SS would be Chevy's top trim model? A couple years before they Camaro died, Chevy was throwing SS tags on a lot of models. More specifically, the Z28 kinda lost it's namesake. Personally, I see it as "Z28" being Camaro's most powerful trim. A SS badge has been thrown on everything from Camaros and Chevelles to Novas, and even now on Silverados and Cobolts. But there has only even been one car to ever hold the title "Z28".

Will there be a combination trim as well? Ie, SS/Z28? So I propose they put the LS2 in the base model and RS, LS3 in the SS and Z28, and if a combo trim model become available, slap in the rootblown LS3.

If they are truly going retro, they need to respect the 60s outlook on trim models and put the Z back on top!
To anwer your question about trim models, no one knows yet. I know...it's killing us all. I wish GM would release SOME info on options or models of Camaros.
For discussion on the whether or not the SS or the Z28 being top dog, here's the thread below.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808

For discussion on the SS nameplate going on way more models than it should have, here's the other thread.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=nameplate
Old 06-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #132
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
Given the current state of things. I can definitely see the LS3 being in the Camaro. At least it will be when I buy one. It's been decided, I'm waiting to buy a new car until after I buy a house in the next few years. Then it justifies the few thousand dollars for mods to my TA such as heads/cam, wheels, a good rear end, etc. It looks like my 30th birthday/new Camaro plan in 2011 will work out, I should have bought a house by then. Also Chevy will definitely have the LS3 in the Camaro, and maybe Pontiac will have released SOMETHING.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #133
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

OR...maybe there will be a Chevelle... w/ a LSA...

But we'll save that for a different topic/thread!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #134
Gary English
"Builder"

Drives: '70 Chevelle SS 396 4-speed
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary English
Looks good in Yellow

I still thnik the grill should be deeper and taller its a lil narrow for my likings, my question is ,what's the most powerful power plant it will come out with?
LS2 (400hp)???
~gary
Gary English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 PM   #135
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary English View Post
I still thnik the grill should be deeper and taller its a lil narrow for my likings, my question is ,what's the most powerful power plant it will come out with?
LS2 (400hp)???
~gary
Either the LS2 @ 400hp (highly unlikely) or the LS3 @ 420+ hp N/A and above that S/C...

But personally I don't think the "majority of the buyers" will be disappointed and pissed if Chevy drops the LS2 in there - I will be. But I doubt we, the enthusiasts who read up on this stuff - count as the majority. Most people say how fast...and okay. Look at all the Mustang buyers right now...
And btw, As I said above I HIGHLY DOUBT an LS2 will make it's way into our car...lots of rumors have it that the LS3 is going into the Corvette this next model year - both N/A, and S/C...so I am confident in saying bye-bye to the LS2, amazing engine...but not amazing enough lol!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #136
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Either the LS2 @ 400hp (highly unlikely) or the LS3 @ 420+ hp N/A and above that S/C...

But personally I don't think the "majority of the buyers" will be disappointed and pissed if Chevy drops the LS2 in there - I will be. But I doubt we, the enthusiasts who read up on this stuff - count as the majority. Most people say how fast...and okay. Look at all the Mustang buyers right now...
And btw, As I said above I HIGHLY DOUBT an LS2 will make it's way into our car...lots of rumors have it that the LS3 is going into the Corvette this next model year - both N/A, and S/C...so I am confident in saying bye-bye to the LS2, amazing engine...but not amazing enough lol!
True, true, and true. I forget that a great deal of the buyers are not going to be such enthusiasts like us. They, right now, believe that the LS2 will be the standard engine and probably haven't heard anything about the LS3. So, could it happen that they will still sell? Sure...I'll give them that. Of course GM will sell a brand new 5th Gen as the 09 model, but my prediction is that they won't sell as much if everyone knew that the LS3 would be the standard engine the following year. There still will be a lot of upset folks wanting the LS3 in their Camaro and it won't be available for the next model year....and they will have been waiting patiently for what...3 years???

I guess I'll be fine w/ waiting another year. I had thought about that as well...to save more cash. Now, I have another reason. Wait to save more cash and also to get the better engine. Ok by me.

I guess the "hell of a lot of people being pissed" would have been the die hards that have been waiting for 3 years, have the cash in the bank, and now are able to buy the Camaro...but with the LS2...when the LS3 is in the back waiting to be released the following year...making that 4 years of waiting.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:34 AM   #137
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
If Chevy releases a Chevelle I will hitchhike to wherever mine is being built to pick it up. The LS3 is the confirmed engine for the 2008 base Corvette. It has been for a month or two now. It's also getting a two toned interior, but that's neither here nor there.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #138
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Im surprised that no one has hit on the one year engine as a collectors item... figure the ls2 in the first year and then a swap over to the L23... in 20 years whose still going to have an ls2 in an 09 camaro? Very few people... even if they make 30-40k of them they are going to be rare
Old 07-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #139
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I suppose so, but I'm still not sold on GM putting the LS2 in the Camaro for the first year.

#1, It's like beating a dead horse - let the engine die if you want it to die....

#2, Although the "majority of buyers" won't know the difference between the LS2 and LS3, WE will still be pretty pissed - which leads me to my next point...

#3, It would just generally be stupid move be GM - which isn't a common attribute of the General these days.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:59 AM   #140
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I could see it becoming a rare Camaro....kinda like the SS LT1. They are getting harder to find. But this also means having to drive a LS2 for how many years before it begins to make money? Personally, I would rather buy, drive, and all out enjoy a Camaro w/ an LS3 under the hood over a LS2 for many years.