Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
BenzinaBrera

Drives: Alfa Romeo Brera V6
Need 3.6 tuning knowledge

Hi guys, i have some questions to ask from all guys on the tuning scene over here, but first some background.

I actually have a Alfa Romeo Brera, but the Engine is the alloytec in 3.2 guise and the heads are the direct injection heads that the LLT camaro uses that GM and Fiat co-developed, in any case i converted my Brera to 3.6 thanks to importing the needed parts from newgmparts.com (highly reccomended btw) so in essence i have a 3.6 LLT now.

I checked a lot of youtube vids and noticed the camaro gets whooped by quite a few similarly powered cars. this caused me great concern as i love the alloytec engine and want to wave the flag high, even if it is the american flag with an italian flag background haha.

Now to help the situation along i have prepared some mods, i would just like to hear how much power you guys think my car might push after im done with my mods since you have a lot more experience in these engines than people here in South Africa

Along with the 3.6 conversion im running:

-K&N Filter
-Fully port & polished Heads
-Complete removal of catalytic converters
-Complete remap tuned to use with 95 octane fuel (hopefully from trifecta)
-Extrude Honed Intake manifold

Also the Alfa uses the GM F40 Gearbox and Torsen 4 wheel drive system. Do you guys think the F40 Box will help with acceleration assuming it has shorter ratios maybe than the Camaro?

Also something i dont understand is both the camaro and cadillac ATS are LFX models but the Caddy runs away from a 335 and the camaro loses out completely?? these should essentially be the same cars more or less?

Sorry about all my rambling but ey camaro land is my home now that i have a LLT hehe.
BenzinaBrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
jlawrence613

Drives: 2011 V6 Premium Mustang
Problem with the Camaro isnt so much the engine as it's the weight that prevents it from really shining. I don't know it to be a fact, but I believe the Camaro is at least 200lbs heavier than each of the similarly powered cars you are talking about.

If you truly have an LLT engine, and your car is sub-3600lbs, you should be ok vs those cars you see on youtube. But of course there are other variables I dont know about your car. Gearing, drivetrain etc
Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Airaid CAI, Boss 302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 2010 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555, BBK Longtube Headers O/R X-pipe Up next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Mustang GT 2.75" Overaxle pipe.
2011 Ford Mustang V6: 13.258 @ 107.45 MPH Uncorrected
jlawrence613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
BenzinaBrera

Brera is 3500lbs more or less but like you say there are other variables like the awd etc but im hoping it will be close atleast. Otherwise i have to drive her with the mods until i have enough money for the RX roots charger and retrofit that badboy hehe

Ill keep you guys posted with some pics of the car etc, i know its not a camaro but since it runs llt maybe some people would just like to.see

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
--Magic--

Drives: like a granny
Pls post some pic and videos. I love breras. I wish they sold them here. It would by my secondary car... if I could afford it lol.
--Magic-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
BenzinaBrera

Haha alfas arent usually that explensive.

Good news is alfa is coming to america, bad news is they dont make the brera anymore.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I'd love to see some pics of your car as well!

I think you'll easily be able to take down the cars you see camaros lose to in youtube videos mostly because of the weight. These cars are pigs. With less weight, these cars would really be something.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
So is this your car then?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
BenzinaBrera

Yes my personal car

Attached Images

Old 06-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
--Magic--

Drives: like a granny
Oh boy. Brera with 3.6 llt... what else could you ask for??? Italians design some sick cars. I just wish lancia would make modern version of stratos. Take care of that beauty.
--Magic-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Man I've always thought Alfa's looked amazing. Although I've read/watched (Top Gear) that Alfa's have serious reliability issues. Any truth to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence613 View Post
Problem with the Camaro isnt so much the engine as it's the weight that prevents it from really shining. I don't know it to be a fact, but I believe the Camaro is at least 200lbs heavier than each of the similarly powered cars you are talking about.

If you truly have an LLT engine, and your car is sub-3600lbs, you should be ok vs those cars you see on youtube. But of course there are other variables I dont know about your car. Gearing, drivetrain etc
I'm going to have to agree. The engine is fine, it's the weight that is the real issue. HOWEVER, another issue is the Bosch ECU. I'm curious, what ECU is your Brera using?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Man I've always thought Alfa's looked amazing. Although I've read/watched (Top Gear) that Alfa's have serious reliability issues. Any truth to this?

I'm going to have to agree. The engine is fine, it's the weight that is the real issue. HOWEVER, another issue is the Bosch ECU. I'm curious, what ECU is your Brera using?
He told me in another thread it was the Bosch.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Benzina,

Have you ever heard of IPF tuning? They have been tuning Bosch ECMs for 10 years throughout Europe and the U.S. Just wondering if you've ever heard of them.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
BenzinaBrera

Bosch, same a LLT however im hoping trifecta can sort this out for me?

Thanks for the compliments on my car i appreciate it. As for the reliability issues not really on modern alfas are there any problems to be honest, i move in a lot of alfa circles in SA and the guys with the new models dont really have problems especially not the gm based models like the 159 and Brera. I think everyone knows here topgear opinions can be really decieving with those clowns.

Im going.to love the 3.6 in this car i think, i will definately post some specs and vids once i have some.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
BenzinaBrera

Ive heard about ipf but do you think they can also send me a tool and let me send them a data log and then they send me a nice tune back?