Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #57
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
Nice idea for sure, keeping from drilling into your front bumper. Could definitely have a ton of interest if you could lower the cost of materials and make it a bit more streamline. The brackets look really heavy duty for holding a lightweight plat. Maybe trim them down a little more aero and you got it. I would def buy
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #58
rdono
Cavallino

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IMO-IMO
Loos like the Show-N-Go product from Altec Products. They have made these for vettes for several years. They are key fob operated. Personally for California it would be better to wire somehow so they flip up with ign on and down with ign off. Check out the vender section & search for Altec.
rdono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #59
Trailbreaker77

Drives: 2010 Transformers Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2well View Post
Here is my front plate holder. two pulls and the plate is off. Its great for shows. NOT FOR SALE
Nice idea sucks that Maryland requires a front plate I am close enough to the Delaware border that I hope I don't have to put mine on. I only drive on weekends and most of the time it is in Delaware.

Great Job!
Trailbreaker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #60
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Your idea is great, and you're lucky you have a cool friend that has the skills and the machine time to spit it out.

I can understand the costs involved when you dont have a dedicated machine to sit there and cut 5000 of these things a day. But I think there as are some fundamental design flaws that would prelcude me from purchasing this setup.

A: The pins make it far too easy for someone to steal your license plate and half of your 150 bucks!
B: With only one bolt point between the two plastic pieces, the shape of the two square areas where the two brackets meet are the only thing holding the plate still. If the machining is a bit off, or road vibration wears the plastic down a bit, you're left with a front plate that is constantly wobbling.
C: To help alleviate problem B, you could counter sink the screw that holds the brackets to the gril and use countersunk screws instead of panhead screws, that way you have the back of the license plate bracket sitting flat and mating better with the grill brackets.

If I were going to buy it, I would want two bolt points for each side, so 4 total, this would lock the license plate and bracket into place very securely. But would preclude you from a clean look when you take the bracket and license plate off as it would make the grill brackets larger.

In either case, I personally dont "need" the removable aspect of the bracket, I just want one that's low profile and doesnt require drilling the bumper so obviously this bracket setup was designed with other things in mind which you definitely accomplished, so good on ya!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #61
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
Your idea is great, and you're lucky you have a cool friend that has the skills and the machine time to spit it out.

I can understand the costs involved when you dont have a dedicated machine to sit there and cut 5000 of these things a day. But I think there as are some fundamental design flaws that would prelcude me from purchasing this setup.

A: The pins make it far too easy for someone to steal your license plate and half of your 150 bucks!

If someone is going to steal a plate it would be the rear plate b/c of the stickers ....also if they want the front plate they are going to get either way. I do understand your concern though :-)

B: With only one bolt point between the two plastic pieces, the shape of the two square areas where the two brackets meet are the only thing holding the plate still. If the machining is a bit off, or road vibration wears the
plastic down a bit, you're left with a front plate that is constantly wobbling.

I can see how you would think that. But because of the angle at which the pieces are cut and in combo with the pins and how the screw actually fits into the unit the fit is rather snug and there has been no wobbling to date.

The bracket attached to the plate keeps the screw from backing out with vibration. The notched pieces fit together like a puzzle which also helps with stability.

ALL of your points were concerns of ours and went into consideration when designing this bracket.

It is SNUG AS A BUG :-)

C: To help alleviate problem B, you could counter sink the screw that holds the brackets to the gril and use countersunk screws instead of panhead screws, that way you have the back of the license plate bracket sitting flat and mating better with the grill brackets.

If I were going to buy it, I would want two bolt points for each side, so 4 total, this would lock the license plate and bracket into place very securely. But would preclude you from a clean look when you take the bracket and license plate off as it would make the grill brackets larger.

In either case, I personally dont "need" the removable aspect of the bracket, I just want one that's low profile and doesnt require drilling the bumper so obviously this bracket setup was designed with other things in mind which you definitely accomplished, so good on ya!
Thanks it is appreciated
Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #62
live2well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Been a while since I chimed in here,

I was wondering if you (Live2well) the OP have had any issues with any rubbing or movement or anything causing any scratching or anything where this piece was inserted now that you've been driving it around a while?
I will check the grill tonight to see if there is any wear and let you know.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #63
live2well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Been a while since I chimed in here,

I was wondering if you (Live2well) the OP have had any issues with any rubbing or movement or anything causing any scratching or anything where this piece was inserted now that you've been driving it around a while?
Ok Mayhem,

I checked the bracket this weekend. There is no wearing at all. It is rock solid .
Old 03-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #64
torranosaurus
Banned

Drives: 2010 orange 2SS
Put me down for one!!!!
torranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #65
Ringo
Politically incorrect

Drives: 2SS/RS
That's a pretty cool setup, but I'll take a ticket before I run a front plate. So far I've been lucky. At least you got a cool plate!

Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote