#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-03-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
Ajmalian

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2016 GMC Sierra Denali
Safe tire age for high speed pulls!!

Hey guys,

I have a 2017 A10 ZL1 and I have been driving it since day 1 twice or thrice a week but because of my work, family and lifestyle, I don’t really get to put much mileage on it. I’ve got a little under 11,000 miles on it and I’m still running factory tires. I occasionally do like to take it out on this road where I can give it the beans...basically max out the speedo...or at least as far as possible. No I have never been on the track so no my tires have not seen much abuse, or at least I hope.

Now the point of telling you the story above is, I was planning to go out again in the coming few days to hit the high speed track, but I got thinking that I may not have many miles to the tires, but they are two years old where in they’ve seen two mild winters and two harsh summers. Are these tires safe to do high speed runs? Visually they seem perfectly fine. Everyday driving too all seems good. But as I said, being as old as they are in age and mileage, is it safe to take such tires out on a 185+ mph run??

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks in advance.
Ajmalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
Tire compound is good for at least 6 years, if you're not on the tread wear markers, then you're fine.

However, if they worry you, replace them. Tires aren't that expensive, especially for some peace of mind.
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
You need to take into account the crown of the road. The Silver State Classic is a road race run on public highways. There was a horrific accident with a 350z a while back. The crown of the road caused the tires to load up uneavenly and heat up and fail at around 217mph. Race tracks don’t have a crown. Be careful! It’s not safe do do a 180 + mph on any public road for a lot of reasons.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aq2XWYjc96E
Old 05-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
Ajmalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFR View Post
Tire compound is good for at least 6 years, if you're not on the tread wear markers, then you're fine.

However, if they worry you, replace them. Tires aren't that expensive, especially for some peace of mind.

Thanks very much buddy!!
Old 05-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #5
Ajmalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrio Andretti View Post
You need to take into account the crown of the road. The Silver State Classic is a road race run on public highways. There was a horrific accident with a 350z a while back. The crown of the road caused the tires to load up uneavenly and heat up and fail at around 217mph. Race tracks don’t have a crown. Be careful! It’s not safe do do a 180 + mph on any public road for a lot of reasons.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aq2XWYjc96E

Didn’t know and didn’t think about it. Gotcha. Thank you very much.