Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #43
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
Man, I've got a ton of parts in my garage that I can't install until this gets resolved. This sucks. The only reason I bought this thing was to mod it.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #44
DeMaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
A 60/60 Thing

It is def not only a Camaro thing . . .check any of the boards . . .some see it more than others . . .I had an 09 V with no issues . . my 10 Maro has none . . .but I have the problem in a 2011 500 Vert . . .

It does suck . . .it is driving some people crazy and others are adjusting their driving style . . . .

I will mod and know I could get worked . . . but it may be a while before . . .if ever . . it get sorted out.

DC

"When parts exceed the whole.....you have Mod Fever!"
DeMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #45
usmcjlp

That's what I was told by MGW.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #46
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have the same issue even after it's warmed up. It feels like it has to hit 2 notches before it goes into gear. It doesn't really happen when it's low rpm but when i get higher than 3k it seems to start. Told the dealer about it and they called GM about it. They said given that my car only has 8000km it may still need some time to loosen up. They told me to put some km's on and if the issue is still there to bring it back in. I'm satisfied with that.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #47
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
OK so here's what I found out from my dealer. Took it in this morning and after a few hours they called back saying that the synchros and 2nd gear failed. They ordered new parts, will take two weeks to come in, and they will replace it. They said I might as well keep driving it till then and just try to be as cautious as I can but not to worry about it too much since they are being replaced anyway. Just keep the revs down when shifting into 2nd.

They offered no further explanation of why they failed or if there was some sort of dealer notice from GM about this. They just said that this is a muscle car and is built and designed for performance. The competition mode furthers that and it should be more than able to stand up to most any load, unless you are racing it time and time again.

As for warming up your tranny, they said it would need no more than your motor would need, especially the SS as they are meant for "fair weather" driving anyway and would rarely see very cold temps.

As long as it gets fixed for good, under warranty which they said it would be, I'm a happy camper!

I have 6500kms on the car
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #48
usmcjlp

Which dealership did you use? Can you post their service department's contact info?

Any details you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I would like to go in with as much directive info to my dealer. I don't want to waste time with "We couldn't duplicate it."

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #49
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
Which dealership did you use? Can you post their service department's contact info?

Any details you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I would like to go in with as much directive info to my dealer. I don't want to waste time with "We couldn't duplicate it."

Thanks.
Unfortunately Im a bit north of you in Northern Canada. There was nothing official from GM, they just said what was wrong and that they ordered parts and would fix it. The service manager also said that these cars should be able to handle quite a bit as they were designed to, (with 426hp they need to be)

I mentioned that I have been reading on BB's that this seems to be somewhat of a common issue only with 2nd gear, and he just said, we'll get yours fixed. He said they have had very little issues with the Camaros they have sold, several minor trim things and the mysterious "knocking" from the trunk.

It's under warranty so for the most part the dealership shouldnt care all that much.
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #50
lee

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs

ive had this same problem but figured even though ive owned many m6s mabey i wasnt driving right im gonna say something next time i go get my oil changed, like someone else said i wouldnt mind waiting a while untill the syncros are trashed and just getting it all redone before the warrentys up
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #51
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Funny you mention that mysterious knocking from the trunk. It happened to me a couple weeks ago and after shutting the engine off and restarting, no more knock. It only happened once! Very strange! Glad to hear they are going to replace your syncros! Let us know if that takes care of the problem!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #52
fearless

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss grey/black
WOW SAME issues here. At 5k miles going to take mine in as well.
fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #53
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Mine is just extremely notchy, usually in gear 1, 2 and 3 since day ONE. It did grind once but it's usually just very difficult to get it into gear . . .
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #54
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
Mine is just extremely notchy, usually in gear 1, 2 and 3 since day ONE. It did grind once but it's usually just very difficult to get it into gear . . .
Yeah, it is so bad it has me lookin at trading mine in.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #55
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Having same issue here, as far as I'm concerned all the gears appear really sticky.
As for the grinding, this seems to happen anytime the RPMs are up there, and I want to let loose reving high and then slamming into a higher gear.
Just happened earlier shifting from 3, 4 to 5 (grind), N, 5 again.
My approach will be to discuss with my performance mechanic.
Word of advice don't deal with day to day mechanics at a GM dealership. These vehicles are high performance race cars that are tuned to run like street vehicles. Do yourself a favour and find good performance installer in your area and have them tune the vehicle the way you like it.
My installer has a Camaro SS they work on regularily and have done hundreds of tunes on it, with varying combinations of aftermarket parts. I drove their car and shifting gears are smooth like butter (stock).
My opinion is there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, it's the vehicle's tuning from the manufacturer that's the problem.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #56
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I think you are a good candidate for a trade in like I was. I loved my Camaro SS however with all the problems I could not see it surviving long past its warranty without me having to spend some big change on it at some point. Shifting should be smooth and not clunky. None of the Camaro's competitors have clunky shifters, even the ones using the same Tremec model. I have yet to hear of one person posting how smooth their Camaro shifter is compared to "XXXX" other vehicle. It is usually the opposite.. That should wake some engineers up in my opinion..
to be truthful,i believe the "general" listened to the "bean counters" when developing both the aisin ay6,and the tremec 6060 for the camaro!..awful lot of people experiencing "issues" with these set-ups in the 6 AND the 8!..i have driven "stick" in ALL my cars and trucks for 45 years,because i dislike "slush" boxes,and this aisin ay6 doesn't appear to be a quality tranny in my view!..the hydraulic clutch is fine,but the tranny is "junk!"..too many people are reporting problems for the issue to be considered they don't know how to drive "standard!"?..this is a bunch of "horse s**t"
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote