Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 RY
Interaction with LEOs while in the Camaro...

So this happened this past winter... Was pulled off the street close to midnight by Dallas' finest into the back parking lot of a supermarket. This was in a relatively decent residential area in far North Dallas... very close to the North Dallas and George Bush tollways.

Drove up to the (apparently it was a drunk) check point with just under a dozen LEOs and immediately had them all encircling my car.. All were commenting on the car.. One commented on the wheels, others made similar references... when one asked how many horse power... Which I answered with the stock number... Another immediately chimed in from the other side of the car with " you'll never be able to use that much horse power" To which I immediately replied... "Well not with you guys around"
Pretty sure every LEO laughed at that... and I was told to have a good night.

Just thought I'd share a humorous LEO story...

Anyone else have a good one to share?

Last edited by beebumble; 06-30-2014 at 09:06 PM.
beebumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
Trying to find a good "LEO" story is akin to trying to find a needle in....well you know.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
No Excuses
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I always compliment someone on their car even when I am on duty. Not all of us are evil. Just saying.
No Excuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
GMguy80

Drives: 2006 Trailblazer SS
If it is a nice car, I always make a comment about it. Not all LEOs are..well you know. I work for Dallas, and probably knew some of those guys who were commenting on your ride.
GMguy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
swiftdog01

Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS
The vast majority of LEO's are good people. I've only run into one that was a complete douche in my 24 years of driving.

That's not to say I haven't gotten the stink-eye or been followed a few times in my Camaro and GTO for no apparent reason. As long as you behave yourself while they are behind you they will eventually go on their way.

Not knocking the police in any way shape or form. My dad was a cop for 40 years and I have a cousin who is a Fed. Nothing but respect for those guys. Tough job.
swiftdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 PM   #6
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Excuses View Post
I always compliment someone on their car even when I am on duty. Not all of us are evil. Just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMguy80 View Post
If it is a nice car, I always make a comment about it. Not all LEOs are..well you know. I work for Dallas, and probably knew some of those guys who were commenting on your ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdog01 View Post
The vast majority of LEO's are good people. I've only run into one that was a complete douche in my 24 years of driving.

That's not to say I haven't gotten the stink-eye or been followed a few times in my Camaro and GTO for no apparent reason. As long as you behave yourself while they are behind you they will eventually go on their way.

Not knocking the police in any way shape or form. My dad was a cop for 40 years and I have a cousin who is a Fed. Nothing but respect for those guys. Tough job.
You guys are completely wrong. All LEOs are evil, only out to make money for the city/state/government entity of your choice and/or always looking to put someone in jail.

Seriously though, there are those that make the rest of us look terrible, I know I work with those types...
I always go out of the way to comment on people's cars when they are nice (far and few in between where I work). But 80% of the time I'm just not in the mood to joke around with people. Probably the nature of where I work.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
Trying to find a good "LEO" story is akin to trying to find a needle in....well you know.
Yes, every encounter with the police is horrible.

Give me a break.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
Rigzo510

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Excuses View Post
Which city are you currently a LEO in?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
You guys are completely wrong. All LEOs are evil, only out to make money for the city/state/government entity of your choice and/or always looking to put someone in jail.

Seriously though, there are those that make the rest of us look terrible, I know I work with those types...
I always go out of the way to comment on people's cars when they are nice (far and few in between where I work). But 80% of the time I'm just not in the mood to joke around with people. Probably the nature of where I work.
Funny you would chime in. My wife and I took our new 2012 Silverado CC on a vacation to northern California at the end of summer of 2012 to visit with my sister and see some sights along our journey. Passing through Holbrook Arizona on our way back from seeing the Petrified Forest, a local sheriff came flying off of a graveled side road onto the interstate right in front of us and threw up a bunch of gravel off his tires. One hit and chipped our windshield and to this day is the only flaw on my truck. He sped away down the road never to be seen again. We were like, what the hell just happened here. That wasn't you was it.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I know a couple of guys on various forces and I appreciate what they do. That's a job that would turn me into a very grouchy person, and I'm glad people like them step up to the plate to do it.

The State Patrol guys are now running Caprices in my area. Pretty cool looking.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
One day I had to make a police report (that's another story) in Bethesda, MD. Montgomery County Police came to the scene (probably 5 of them). They all came over to my car and asked about the horsepower and remarked how badass the car was. They were in the 40-50 year range, so they started to reminisce about the Muscle Car Era. They actually told me to be careful because of all the speed cameras. I thought that was really cool. Maybe it's because I'm in that age range too and present myself very well, that they were so cool. I also come from a family of NYPD, so I know how to talk with cops.

Everybody talks $hit about cops, but when you are really in trouble they are a sight for sore eyes. Besides, most cops know that speed limits are too low and will work with you if you are not an arsehole. Just don't lie to them. All they hear are lies all day. Man up, but do it in referential manner, and you just might get a warning.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
I was sitting in the car outside a meat market (They make great lunch sandwiches) talking on the phone when a local parks up next to me on the left. He stood in front of his car for probably 3-4 minutes while I finished my conversation, and once I was off the phone the only thing he said was "Nice!" with a nod of his head. He then went in to get his lunch I would presume.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
We have some really bad sheriff's in my county but I know it's the specific person and not a representation of all LEO's, not in the least.

I've been pulled over a couple of times and the LEO was nothing short of respectful and helpful. One time I was looking for a certain area in a big city that I hadn't been to and was surprised by a round-a-bout (sp?). I slowly merged in behind an officer of course and he pulled me over as he should have. He then gave me directions and just told me to be more careful. I easily could have received a ticket but he knew it was an honest mistake and let me go.

I think most of us have our bad stories, but there are many good stories out there that just don't get shared enough. LEO's have a hard and stressful job and, like any of us, are entitled to their bad days. Just be respectful to them and you're much more likely to get respect back.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #14
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
LEO's are just a slice of the community's they serve. Occasionally you will get a prick.

As long as you (generally) follow the road rules and not do anything stupid (burn-outs, road racing, etc) you will usually do fine. There are technically several violations on my car, the most obvious being a lack of a front plate (I just can't drill into it). Two years and only stopped once (for speed).
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote