Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Tire Advice

It's time to replace the stock Pirelli's on my 2013 SS. I am looking for opinions/advice on what tire to go with. The car is a daily driver in good weather, no tracking or racing, just street use. I am considering General Gmax, Continental Contech DW, Goodrich G Force, or even another set of Pirelli's. I want something that will give good traction dry or wet and hoping to get more miles out of them than the 35K I put on the Pirelli's. The car will not be driven in the snow or cold temp's
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
I switched to the Goodrich G-Force a few years ago. I am about to replace them now, and they got about the same mileage as my original Pirellis, for me about 27K. I'd say they are a bit noisier than the P-Zero, but a bit better in the rain. Hardly measurable I'd say though. Dry traction is also about the same. Both seem to stink in snow (as expected for summer tires).
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
I can tell you that the General G-Max fit the bill of what you are looking for but they are LOUD!!! To the point that I replaced them early.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
woyster_13ss

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS
I only got 16,000 miles out of my stock Pirelli's, all 4 were worn equally...no track, no burnouts, only street/highway driving. I decided to go with Continental Extreme Contact DW as a replacement as I had read good things about them. Dry traction I would say is almost equal to the Pirelli's, wet traction is much better than the Pirelli's. Unfortunately, I have put just over 12,000 miles and the rears are at the wear indicators. The fronts have plenty of life left. Looks like I'm going to have to put new ones on the rear or go for a full set of something else.
6.2L V8, NPP, Manual 6-Speed, GM Performance Shifter, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Bo White's Stage III Ported TB, Sunroof, Window Tint, Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harnesses, 5000k LED DRL Bulbs, APEX Skip Shift Eliminator, Hood Spears / Front & Rear Blackout Panels / Gills from Big Worm Graphix, Gary's Customz Front & Rear Painted Bowties, Powdercoated Wheels & Camaro Badges, Painted Calipers, Plastidipped Taillight Bezels
woyster_13ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #5
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by woyster_13ss View Post
I only got 16,000 miles out of my stock Pirelli's, all 4 were worn equally...no track, no burnouts, only street/highway driving. I decided to go with Continental Extreme Contact DW as a replacement as I had read good things about them. Dry traction I would say is almost equal to the Pirelli's, wet traction is much better than the Pirelli's. Unfortunately, I have put just over 12,000 miles and the rears are at the wear indicators. The fronts have plenty of life left. Looks like I'm going to have to put new ones on the rear or go for a full set of something else.
Don't mean to go away from the thread topic, but I would have thought the DW's would have held up better for wear..I guess not, that is too bad.

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:46 AM   #6
jdrop01

Drives: 05 GTO
The DWS will think they have a 500 rating.
jdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:53 AM   #7
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrop01 View Post
The DWS will think they have a 500 rating.
I have read that the DW is very good but the DWS has a softer feel and seems to "wander" a bit on the road.

So far from the responses I see I am inclined to go with the stock Pirelli's again. I was hoping to find something that would last maybe 50K miles???
Old 04-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #8
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
I'm in the same situation. At 12,000 miles, my rear tires are also at the wear indicators. No burnouts, and the tire pressure is always where it should be. Fronts aren't bad, but they'll need replacing soon too.

I'm looking at BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S and the new version Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's (Not the Wide Oval Indy 500). I may go with the BFG's for the longer treadwear.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #9
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
I have read that the DW is very good but the DWS has a softer feel and seems to "wander" a bit on the road.

So far from the responses I see I am inclined to go with the stock Pirelli's again. I was hoping to find something that would last maybe 50K miles???
I run the DWS in the winter months and love them. If I had to go with an all season tire for the whole year, I would be running DWS's.

I think the stock Pirelli's are the worst tire ever for traction. If you put a tire on this car that gets 50K miles, it has to be made for a big truck and traction will be horrible in all conditions.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #10
justjoshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm96z28 View Post
I'm in the same situation. At 12,000 miles, my rear tires are also at the wear indicators. No burnouts, and the tire pressure is always where it should be. Fronts aren't bad, but they'll need replacing soon too.

I'm looking at BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S and the new version Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's (Not the Wide Oval Indy 500). I may go with the BFG's for the longer treadwear.
The BFG's have some good reviews on here from some members but i hope you are wanting the stock sizes because the 285/35 & 305/35's are on backorder for no telling how long.....
Old 04-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Conti tires hands down IMO.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
My P-Zero fronts are just about done at 50,000. The rears are better.

Like the OP, I am going to buy new tires soon. They will be summer tires. The Pirellis have been satisfactory, wet and dry, but a bit noisy.

There are Firestones for a lot less money. Any comments on these or other less expensive summer tires?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #13
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
My P-Zero fronts are just about done at 50,000. The rears are better.

Like the OP, I am going to buy new tires soon. They will be summer tires. The Pirellis have been satisfactory, wet and dry, but a bit noisy.

There are Firestones for a lot less money. Any comments on these or other less expensive summer tires?
You win, I thought me geting 35K out of my Pirelli's was about the max they would go, I have never heard of anyone getting 50K out of them. The more I read the responses here the more I am thinking of going with the Pirelli's again. I definitely don't want to get something with a lot of road noise. I consider the Pirelli P Zero to be pretty quiet.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
justjoshin

I just put a set of Kumho Ecsta PS91's on last week. There aren't many reviews on them as they are pretty new, but I like them so far. They are a summer tire and at this early stage I like them better than the P Zeros in all areas. Couple other members have bought them too and have only heard possitive things so far.