Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #1849
Runin11z

Drives: 11 CGM 2RS-SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
We done?
Get use to this topic being dead once the Hellcat runs quicker than the 11.20 manufacturer claim then all we will hear is crickets..
2011 Camaro Ls3 CGM stock
Runin11z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #1850
Runin11z

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
A stock ZL1 won't beat a Hellcat. So what. Its an old design in its fourth and last year of production. Mod it.

The video only matters to shut up the claims that Chevy lied. Chevrolet stands by the 11.93 times on factory tires. Period
It has been like this since day one with the ZL1 due to the GT500 hitting the scene.. Maybe that's why modding has became the first verse in anything 1/4 mile related with the ZL1..

Not sure, but I think the ZL1 in '69 was the car everyone feared at the strip... ;-)

Last edited by Runin11z; 08-15-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #1851
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runin11z View Post
It has been like this since day one with the ZL1 due to the GT500 hitting the scene.. Maybe that's why modding has became the first verse in anything 1/4 mile related with the ZL1..

Not sure, but I think the ZL1 in '69 was the car everyone feared at the strip... ;-)

no offense - but who the hell leaves their car stock if they take to the drag strip/auto-x/road course/hell even the car shows????

Really arguing about bone stock times is just stupid.

People bought z/28s and already started talking about buying Hoosier slicks.

If Dodge allows the ECU to be tuned - then the Hellcat will be something to be feared at the drag strip. If its not - then the guy who guts the car, adds a little nitrous to it, and runs it on slicks - thats probably the guy to watch out for. And even then hes probably turning mid to high 9s

Something a ZL1 owner should easily be able to surpass (if done the right way)
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #1852
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
no offense - but who the hell leaves their car stock if they take to the drag strip/auto-x/road course/hell even the car shows????

Really arguing about bone stock times is just stupid.

People bought z/28s and already started talking about buying Hoosier slicks.

If Dodge allows the ECU to be tuned - then the Hellcat will be something to be feared at the drag strip. If its not - then the guy who guts the car, adds a little nitrous to it, and runs it on slicks - thats probably the guy to watch out for. And even then hes probably turning mid to high 9s

Something a ZL1 owner should easily be able to surpass (if done the right way)
I know tons of people that leave their cars stock. My ZL1 is stock. Why is arguing stock times stupid? That statement is just about the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. No offense.

I bet it wouldn't be stupid to you if we were on the winning side of the stock vs stock argument.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #1853
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I know tons of people that leave their cars stock. My ZL1 is stock. Why is arguing stock times stupid? That statement is just about the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. No offense.

I bet it wouldn't be stupid to you if we were on the winning side of the stock vs stock argument.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #1854
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
That statement is just about the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. No offense.
I'm not sure those two sentences go together.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #1855
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
i'm surprized no one has posted this up yet

all automatics with excellent launch control on a pretty decent looking track but no times posted

seems like there is plenty that is still embargoed
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #1856
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Lots of ppl leave their cars stock
Old 08-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #1857
Col. Brain

Quote:

Because 1) its bench racing. No wins sitting on the bench.
2) anyone who actually gets out and runs their car will eventually do at least a few things to make it perform better

3)and if they do not then they either bought too much car and cant afford the mods OR they dont really enjoy racing which makes the whole magazine racing pointless to begin with

And besides - id have no problem buying a hellcat if srt/dodge are willing to help the aftermarket with tuning the stock ecu. If not you can go a lot faster in a ZL or GT500. SO once again - arguing stock times is stupid
Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #1858
Runin11z

Quote:
2) anyone who actually gets out and runs their car will eventually do at least a few things to make it perform better

3)and if they do not then they either bought too much car and cant afford the mods OR they dont really enjoy racing which makes the whole magazine racing pointless to begin with

And besides - id have no problem buying a hellcat if srt/dodge are willing to help the aftermarket with tuning the stock ecu. If not you can go a lot faster in a ZL or GT500. SO once again - arguing stock times is stupid
How do we know if the Hellcat isn't getting the same ECM that the last 392 SRT had? If this turns out to be the case then there is tuning already available..
Old 08-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #1859
Runin11z

Quote:

It's not so much about stock times as it is about having to mod the car to run against stock cars in the same segment...
Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #1860
Col. Brain

Quote:
How do we know if the Hellcat isn't getting the same ECM that the last 392 SRT had? If this turns out to be the case then there is tuning already available..
None of this info has been made available. I am basing judgement on what Chrysler/Dodge/SRT has been doing lately.

And to think when the first SRT4 came out - they sold upgradable turbo kits that made that car fly

I really hope they are planning something similar with the Hellcat but recent history is telling me not to hold my breath.

Hell Mopar has been teasing the Viper guys with a new performance ecu for a few months now and still no word (and they wonder why they cant sell the damn car)

Quote:
It's not so much about stock times as it is about having to mod the car to run against stock cars in the same segment...
Understandable
However, the ZL1 came out when? 2011? It is 3 years later (4 model years) and just now Dodge is finally stepping up to the world of supercharged V8 muscle cars.

I mean Ford did this back in 2003 with their Mustang when the Camaro died.

Factories will keep 1 upping each other to generate sales. In 2016 the Camaro will most likely be lighter with an LT engine making 460hp (at least). Probably not far from a 2017 Z Camaro with the LT4 etc.

That is 2 model years after the Hellcat.

Don't forget Ford is testing a GT350 now that could very well run faster laps than the Z/28

Unless you have the means to keep buying the latest and greatest car - you will be forced to improve the performance of your car to keep pace.
The bitching about GM being "3rd place" is silly. It is a 580hp car from the factory that runs 12 flat stock and a few tweaks from being in the 10s and being a daily driver at that!!!!!
This is why i think the bench racing over magazine times is just plain silly. If they concern you that much then i dont know what to say - buy a Hellcat and wait for the gen 6 camaro zl1 to come out
Old 08-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #1861
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
The times are good and we should just let our right feet enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #1862
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:

From a 30+ year drag racer, sorry but you make no sense to me. These aren't race cars they are street cars. If I want to complete like it sounds like you're talking about, then I'll get my 69 out of retirement and out run these new cars. The only way to compare what manufactures have produced is to compare how they perform in stock form. Once the modding begins than there are to many variables involved to make a comparison any more. Like I said., you wouldn't be spewing any of your nonsense if our camaros were on the winning side of this argument.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, hellcat, horsepower, srt