Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
strokerls1

Drives: 2015 Charger Hellcat
Why is the ZL1 so slow?

So far the times are:

12.1@117
12.3@119
12.6@116
12.6@114
12.9@113
13.06@113

avg time 12.59 at 115

Not impressed by this cars performance numbers. If it posted consistent 12.20's-12.30's then I would say otherwise. The GTR ran 11.2 at 125, but the zl1 ran 12.9 at 113. The time was spot for the GTR...why does the ZL1 time suck so bad? Ive been steady looking at purchasing this car but these reviews are steering me away quickly...Its a win in every other category except performance. Al O. seemed a little too confident maybe...
Old 02-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
2Z's4me

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Corvette Z06
Quarter mile times are very dependent upon driver skills, especially with shifting.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
hmmm rwd car with summer grip tires at 45 degree's??????????

what more needs to be said.

If all you car about is quarter mile though I would not buy a ZL1. your spending 10k on roard racing technology to drive strait.

In the same artical it laps really well. that is what you are paying for.

If you have ever driving high HP cars 400whp plus you have to know you have to have traction to run good times. the tires on this car will not hook up well at 45 degree's.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Perhaps it was because the temperature was low. Perhaps the test drivers of the rag' are do not drive like many of us enthusiasts might (i.e. powershift, heat the tires up, etc.). There are a lot of unknowns in the way they test.

If I may make a recommendation: wait until a magazine like CHP, GMHTP, and SC start posting drag strip times. These are know publications to make great efforts to produce high numbers. When I see someone like Evan Smith post a time in ZL1 - I know I can take that number to the bank. This side of him, Scott Parker, or a couple others from those magazines, I don't lend them too much credit to acceleration tests. Some of the other rags' go so far as to say they DON'T powershift or even prep' the track. That's fine for some, but not me.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
strokerls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
hmmm rwd car with summer grip tires at 45 degree's??????????

what more needs to be said.

If all you car about is quarter mile though I would not buy a ZL1. your spending 10k on roard racing technology to drive strait.

In the same artical it laps really well. that is what you are paying for.
pictures from the article show the temp indicator in the GTR to show 65 degrees. All I am saying is this car is not performing up to the standards that chevy and Al O. have claimed.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
You're also comparing an AWD car to a RWD car, and let's not even get into weight....

And, as was mentioned, it also has a lot to do with track conditions and driver ability.

If you're planning to buy the car (any stock car for that matter) just for 1/4 mile times, you're always going to find faster and you probably won't be happy unless you're driving a Veyron.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
strokerls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Perhaps it was because the temperature was low. Perhaps the test drivers of the rag' are do not drive like many of us enthusiasts might (i.e. powershift, heat the tires up, etc.). There are a lot of unknowns in the way they test.

If I may make a recommendation: wait until a magazine like CHP, GMHTP, and SC start posting drag strip times. These are know publications to make great efforts to produce high numbers. When I see someone like Evan Smith post a time in ZL1 - I know I can take that number to the bank. This side of him, Scott Parker, or a couple others from those magazines, I don't lend them too much credit to acceleration tests. Some of the other rags' go so far as to say they DON'T powershift or even prep' the track. That's fine for some, but not me.
I agree, but what I cant understand is how chevy would allow these numbers to come out when there is so much press surrounding the "baddest" camaro released. I love the car and think it is drop dead gorgeous but man these numbers are starting to make me worry. Those are 2010 GT500 times...
Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerls1 View Post
pictures from the article show the temp indicator in the GTR to show 65 degrees. All I am saying is this car is not performing up to the standards that chevy and Al O. have claimed.
I think that's the point they're trying to make. The weather conditions in the GTR test were probably more favorable for traction, compared to 45 degrees when one of the mags tested the ZL1.

Unless you meant to say "the temperature indicator in the ZL1...."

Also, the slowest times were posted by an amateur who doesn't drag race at all. As outliers (results outside of a reasonable variation), you'd throw those results out if you were a statistician.

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
And if you read the comments at the end of the article, you can see the statement about the temperature being low...

Quote:
I agree, but what I cant understand is how chevy would allow these numbers to come out when there is so much press surrounding the "baddest" camaro released. I love the car and think it is drop dead gorgeous but man these numbers are starting to make me worry. Those are 2010 GT500 times...
You get worked up over nothing yet. Read the reviews completely. If Ford's response to ZL1 is to outmatch it, then believe GM will fire back. It's no different than in the past.

Making blanket comments this early is just premature.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
mr_desmo
Banned

Drives: beated up old mini austin
Guys....lets not get delusional...low temps are bad for grip but GOOD for hp which is why everybody gets their fastest time are the drag strip from september to november....as the trap speed of the gtr shows (125mph)...113mph is unacceptable....no traction cause slower times but the car should have trapped the highest in these kind of temps...
Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
strokerls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
You're also comparing an AWD car to a RWD car, and let's not even get into weight....

And, as was mentioned, it also has a lot to do with track conditions and driver ability.

If you're planning to buy the car (any stock car for that matter) just for 1/4 mile times, you're always going to find faster and you probably won't be happy unless you're driving a Veyron.
Im comparing times that are consistently getting worse. Im not bashing the ZL1. Im just wondering if these arent performing up to the hype they are made out to be.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_desmo View Post
Guys....lets not get delusional...low temps are bad for grip but GOOD for hp which is why is why everybody gets their fastest time are the drag strip from september to november....as the trap speed of the gtr shows (125mph)...113mph is unacceptable....no traction cause slower times but the car should have trapped the highest in these kind of temps...
LOL! Because it was easier for my Mickey Thompson ET Streets to hook-up on a 35* track, LOL...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Im comparing times that are consistently getting worse. Im not bashing the ZL1. Im just wondering if these arent performing up to the hype they are made out to be.
I would ask you to reserve your judgement until conditions are a little more forgiving. Cooler temps' mean denser and more power, but that does no good if the tires aren't up to temperature. Wait for conditions in the mid-70s, and then start worrying if the numbers don't impress you.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
strokerls1

Trap speed will tell you what kind of power a car is making. 115mph avg trap speed is no good.

Closed Thread