Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizlstik View Post
My ZL1 is my DD.
I like that answer.
djnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Hill assist really isn't an issue. In fact I really like it. If someone tailgates you it will trigger it making an otherwise stressful start a piece of cake.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
BloodRain
Account Suspended

Drives: 1LE
It just seems like a glaring safety issue.
BloodRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #18
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRain View Post
It just seems like a glaring safety issue.
How is it a safety issue? It just engages on an incline preventing you from going backwards until you actually start moving forward...
Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #19
BloodRain
Account Suspended

Drives: 1LE
Engages on slight inclines. So if you were about to be rear ended. You have no choice but to enjoy full force impact. where in a regular vehicle you can simpily take those two seconds and either move out of the way, or at least let your brakes off. And since I know some people who can cut a 1.8 sec 60 ft on stock tires, you cant say that two seconds isnt important if your trying to avoid an accident

Prevents you from moving completely, not just backwards.
BloodRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #20
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRain View Post
Engages on slight inclines. So if you were about to be rear ended. You have no choice but to enjoy full force impact. where in a regular vehicle you can simpily take those two seconds and either move out of the way, or at least let your brakes off. And since I know some people who can cut a 1.8 sec 60 ft on stock tires, you cant say that two seconds isnt important if your trying to avoid an accident

Prevents you from moving completely, not just backwards.
First of all it won't engage on slight inclines unless someone is tailgating you. Secondly it doesn't engage for a fixed time period only until you start moving the car forward. Yes if you don't actually apply any throttle you sit there, but your scenario would never happen...

And lastly it doesn't prevent all movement only backwards. My '13 1le with hill start doesn't work anything like you described. I drive up an inclined freeway on-ramp with a signal at the top everyday going home so I have bit of experience with this feature.

This feature was confusing to me at first. I would end up doing mini-burnouts each time it engaged, but once I figured it out, I really liked it.

Last edited by BigBlock69RS; 02-27-2013 at 12:45 AM.
BigBlock69RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #21
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS View Post
First of all it won't engage on slight inclines unless someone is tailgating you. Secondly it doesn't engage for a fixed time period only until you start moving the car forward. Yes if you don't actually apply any throttle you sit there, but your scenario would never happen...

And lastly it doesn't prevent all movement only backwards. My '13 1le with hill start doesn't work anything like you described. I drive up an inclined freeway on-ramp with a signal at the top everyday going home so I have bit of experience with this feature.

This feature was confusing to me at first. I would end up doing mini-burnouts each time it engaged, but once I figured it out, I really liked it.
No. this is not true. The HSA *does* in fact prevent movement in both directions, and *does not* disengage until after 2 seconds have elapsed. HSA activates when you're facing downhill and put it in reverse, as well.
I've got nothing but hills around here, so i deal with it quite a bit. It could be that you use just enough brake pressure when it activates that your car muscles through it when you go forward, but it is still applied until 2 seconds are up. This is one of the work-arounds brought up in another HSA thread, where all the aspects and workarounds found so far are discussed in detail.

but here's what made me respond - "First of all it won't engage on slight inclines unless someone is tailgating you." - How the hell does the car know if someone is tailgating??

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #22
OzzySS

anyway, to the OP's question i love the hell out of driving my car (snapped strut issue aside), and would love to drive it everyday. the ride is damn near perfect, IMO. but i kept my cavalier around for a DD because i can't beat the mpg, gas is insane out here, and my drive to work is only a little over 4 miles, which imo is just a crap thing to do to a nice V8. so, my camaro is a weekend toy until i leave the island.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
DLUX

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS RS
Boy, I wish my HSA worked like that and I enjoyed it
DLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #24
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzySS View Post
No. this is not true. The HSA *does* in fact prevent movement in both directions, and *does not* disengage until after 2 seconds have elapsed. HSA activates when you're facing downhill and put it in reverse, as well.
I've got nothing but hills around here, so i deal with it quite a bit. It could be that you use just enough brake pressure when it activates that your car muscles through it when you go forward, but it is still applied until 2 seconds are up. This is one of the work-arounds brought up in another HSA thread, where all the aspects and workarounds found so far are discussed in detail.

but here's what made me respond - "First of all it won't engage on slight inclines unless someone is tailgating you." - How the hell does the car know if someone is tailgating??
Funny I just drive away normally and it disenges as soon as I move forward...

As far as how it knows someone is close behind you The same sensors that tell you when something is close when you are backing up... Pay close attention next time it engages on slight incline someone was very close behind you.

Hill start isn't voodo once you actually figure out how it works.

And back to the op question, yes the 1le is a very fun car for a daily driver
Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #25
DLUX

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS RS
Mine certainly does'nt work like that. I don't even have backup sensors on my car and the damn brakes lock tight with no one behind me at all.
DLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #26
OzzySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS View Post
Funny I just drive away normally and it disenges as soon as I move forward...

As far as how it knows someone is close behind you The same sensors that tell you when something is close when you are backing up... Pay close attention next time it engages on slight incline someone was very close behind you.

Hill start isn't voodo once you actually figure out how it works.

And back to the op question, yes the 1le is a very fun car for a daily driver
You're right it's not voodoo. But I don't think the sensors are linked to it. My driveway is really steep and it will activate at any point I stop there as I'm going in or out of the garage, even when I've got just the rear out of the garage (so it's only a slight angle at that point). There's never anything behind me then.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #27
bpdcop100

Drives: 2013 1LE,
I have over 6,000 miles on my 1LE. The biggest thng you will notice from the SS is the big lack of grip the Goodyears have when cold on the 1LE. They are the worst tires I have ever had on a car. And if there is snow on the road, start walking.
bpdcop100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
I agree on the tire grip when cold. These tires are rediculously sticky once warmed up but even here in Hawaii, where it is always 70+ degrees, you have to be careful on cold tires. I have had the rear step out plenty of times on cold tires. Rarely once warm. You have to be trying to once the tire temp comes up.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote