Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
Car Wash & Drying products advice

Hey Everyone, well as you can probably imagine I will be staying away from the AutoCar Wash establishments with my Camaro.

I was hoping that you guys can recommend some products that you use when washing your cars. Especially in regards to the drying "towels". With a Black car, im looking for something to use that will minimize the amount of "swirl" marks.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you guys can give.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
I don't have a black car, but can give you some advise I use when washing. I always used terry cloth but now have switched to the micro fiber towls you can buy that are made for drying cars. I was told with black to wipe in one direction to avoid swirl marks. I'm not sure how true that is. One thing I do, which I think my neighbors think I am nut for, is use my leaf blower. I go over the car once real quick to break up the large beads of water and then I start up the leaf blower. It works great for blowing the water out of the cracks (tail lights, door handles, fogs, grill,...). Drying the wheels is a snap. Once I am done with the blower, I go back with a fresh micro fiber towl and its done to perfection.

Last edited by newagemuscle; 07-11-2010 at 09:02 AM.
newagemuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
My car is black as well and I'm going to have to raid Wally World or another place similar to get a decent amount of supplies. I'll be watching this thread closely because I need some of that advice for the darker cars.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
GhostSS
Chuck

Drives: 2010 Silver Ice Camaro SS
While you should look in the car care section of this forum, here are some ideas which I always use. I personally use both Zaino and Adam's products on my 2010 Camaro SS, 2001 Corvette and 2008 Porsche 911.

1. Large 5 gallon style bucket with grit-guard at the bottom to protect the paint from dirt/debris which enters the water when washing.
2. A good quality micro fiber wash mitt.
3. A second bucket and wash mitt which is used only for the wheels/tires and never on the paint.
4. Try drying most of the car first with the hose nozzle removed and use a sheeting action to sheet-off the water beads. Second, use a 200+ mph leaf blower to eliminate most of the towel drying effort. Third, wipe down lightly with good quality (deep nap) micro fiber towel and your favorite quick detail spray for a little lube.
5. Test your towels and wash mitt on a blank computer CD-ROM. If the towel scratches the surface of the CD, discontinue use on the paint.
6. Wash the mitt and towels with a good quality liquid detergent (never powder as it can scratch). I air dry my towels in my garage as the fabric softener in the dryer gets in the nap and will scratch paint.

Best of luck!

"Work hard and spend it, you can't take it with you!"

Other Rides: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera, 1964 Corvette Roadster & 2001 675HP Supercharged Corvette (Corvette By Chevrolet / Horsepower By: East Coast Supercharging)

cdavis@adaptivesolutions.com
GhostSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
This is the only thing I will use to dry my vehicles now.........

http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=759

I am a member of the Vette forums and a vendor on there usually has some good deals on them.

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
McBeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
I would say before I spend the money on that I would just pull the leaf blower off the wall. To each there own.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Good advice, sheet the water off and use a leaf blower.

General principle, touch the paint a little as you can.
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
Thanks everyone for the great tips & recommendations. My apologies for posting in the incorrect forumre as I'm new here.

Appreciate it!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
thelid
Big Papi

Drives: 69 plain jane
mr. clean auto cleaning system. has filter system for a spot free rinse. then with the dryer works well.
thelid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
If I may - INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

I'd also highly recommend 2 bucket washing and/or getting yourself a foam gun. Grit guards are also key as well as choosing a soap with a high lubricity and sustained sudsing action.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
svrds10

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 Wht/Slvr ext Wht/Gry int
This will solve your problems. Goto http://www.adamspolishes.com get the following

1) 2 buckets with grit guards
2) 2 Professional wash pads
3) 1 gallon of Adams shampoo
4) Foam Gun
5) 2 Great white drying towels
6) 1 Gallon Adam's detail spray
7) Leaf Blower (Any home improvement store)
8) Super VRT for your tires/moldings (optional) AWESOME product

You can add alot of other stuff on from there but this would get you started. Read up on the 2 bucket wash system. Junkman has some great videos on youtube about doing it. The trick is to touch the car the least amount as possible. Use the leaf blower to dry 90% of the car. Then do a pass through with the drying towel and some Adam's Detail Spray.

'10 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS - Summit White W/ Silver Stripes
'
09 Dodge Challenger R/T - Hemi Orange
svrds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
CHEROB10

Drives: 2012 2LT Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
I don't have a black car, but can give you some advise I use when washing. I always used terry cloth but now have switched to the micro fiber towls you can buy that are made for drying cars. I was told with black to wipe in one direction to avoid swirl marks. I'm not sure how true that is. One thing I do, which I think my neighbors think I am nut for, is use my leaf blower. I go over the car once real quick to break up the large beads of water and then I start up the leaf blower. It works great for blowing the water out of the cracks (tail lights, door handles, fogs, grill,...). Drying the wheels is a snap. Once I am done with the blower, I go back with a fresh micro fiber towl and its done to perfection.
The leaf blower actually works well!! My husband mentioned I should use it. It worked great on the rims.

Does anyone have advice on good wax products for black paint?
CHEROB10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
ramar
2nd Childhood

Drives: Synergy Green
towles from Wally World

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
My car is black as well and I'm going to have to raid Wally World or another place similar to get a decent amount of supplies. I'll be watching this thread closely because I need some of that advice for the darker cars.
I went to Walmart and bought car shampoo, Meg's NXT 2.0 wax and microfiber towels. Don't waste you money on towel you get from Walmart or O'Reilly or any other over the counter place. They don't last long and EVERYTHING sticks to them making them only good to use on tires. I put my towels over the back of the lawn chairs to dry after use and within an hour they had gotten tree stuff on them, like little leaves and such, I spent hours trying to pick them out, and still have some in them.

I went to Autogeek.com and bought good towels and they really help and hold up. Also I bought special laundry soap for the towels that clean them up really nice after I wax my car. Regular "liquid" laundry soap is ok but don't use a fabric softner.
ramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
I would say before I spend the money on that I would just pull the leaf blower off the wall. To each there own.
I used a leaf blower for several years, and it'll get the job done, but it's not even in the same stratosphere as as the blaster.....but yeah to each his own.

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
McBeevee is offline   Reply With Quote