Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
kj217

Drives: 09 CTS-V
TVS2300 PCV System

i have a built 418 engine with TVS2300,, i did my pcv system piping in the following direction using SMC dual catch can:

driver valve cover->SMC catch can 1->TVS vacuum port----passenger valve cover->SMC catch can 2->intake elbow

ventilation seems to be perfect and car drove way better but engine started to consume a lot of oil in short trips and found the blower fouled with oil inside,, what is wrong?

1- SMC system insufficient?
2- valve covers barbs not baffled or oversized?
3- piston rings?
4- valve seals?
5- TVS aggressive vacuum/boost?
6- ....?

please, help,, i have disconnected the system and put breathers on covers barbs and oil filler cap instead which i know not right,, btw,, breathers breath oil vapor and fumes while at idle,, no oil sprays whatsoever,,
kj217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
You need to replace your oil cap with a one way breather. That way it will let any blow-by out but will not suck air in during vacuum. You can make one yourself by getting an extra oil cap and a large 1 way check valve. Drill a hole in the cap, put the valve in it. Put a little breather element on it for looks.

Also, do you have 1 way check valves in your lines or your oil catch cans? You need one between the vacuum port and the catch can, and one between the intake and the catch can. Otherwise when it comes into boost it will push the boost and oil from the catch can into the crankcase, and into the intake.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
TheMeat

Drives: 1973 Camaro
Here is the can I run. Seems to be working and have only heard positive reviews. I have vacuum pulled from a port directly behind my TB and have -10 to the breather from both valve covers.

http://mightym0use.wix.com/mm-solutions#!mm-og/ca5m
Here is how I have it routed. http://media.wix.com/ugd/dddf24_351b...9bccde75c8.pdf

Mounted to alt bracket.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
kj217

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
You need to replace your oil cap with a one way breather. That way it will let any blow-by out but will not suck air in during vacuum. You can make one yourself by getting an extra oil cap and a large 1 way check valve. Drill a hole in the cap, put the valve in it. Put a little breather element on it for looks.

Also, do you have 1 way check valves in your lines or your oil catch cans? You need one between the vacuum port and the catch can, and one between the intake and the catch can. Otherwise when it comes into boost it will push the boost and oil from the catch can into the crankcase, and into the intake.
i didn't use check valves coz its always vacuum right behind TB in positive displacement blower setups (e.g. magna, whipple,, etc),, boost only show up right under the roots/screws,, eventhough it might get pressurized instantly upon closed throttle right after boost/wot,,
i just thought ventilation will always flow in one direction,,
was i wrong?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj217 View Post
i didn't use check valves coz its always vacuum right behind TB in positive displacement blower setups (e.g. magna, whipple,, etc),, boost only show up right under the roots/screws,, eventhough it might get pressurized instantly upon closed throttle right after boost/wot,,
i just thought ventilation will always flow in one direction,,
was i wrong?
I'm not sure on the PD blowers and which ports. I do know even if it is vac only, there is no vac at WOT. The only one that will have any pull at WOT is the one going to the air cleaner and that is a small line and not a hard pull, to evac the entire crankcase when at WOT on boost.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
I had a similar problem with sucking oil through the Norris catch can,,, I put a check valve on the line from the Maggie going into the catch can,,, it solved the problem
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
kj217

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
I had a similar problem with sucking oil through the Norris catch can,,, I put a check valve on the line from the Maggie going into the catch can,,, it solved the problem
would you please share brand and specs of valve you used?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj217 View Post
would you please share brand and specs of valve you used?
I bought it from tracy at revextreme,,, don't know anything else

http://www.revxtreme.com/
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
kj217

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
I bought it from tracy at revextreme,,, don't know anything else

http://www.revxtreme.com/
been there and couldnt find it listed,,