Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 07-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #295
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
It already beats it in MSRP, power, weight and available options, but you just keep hanging on to that hope, if it makes you feel better. I do agree though, the future looks bright for performance enthusiasts of all makes.
I have no "hopes" one way or the other but do think we should actually see the GT350R beat the Z/28 before giving it the crown.

If (when) the GT350R beats the Z/28 it will have been expected. Obsolete model (based on the 1999 Holden full size sedan platform - Zeta). If for some reason it does not, oh boy. Its a no lose for Chevy but sure will be fun to watch.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:06 PM   #296
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I have no "hopes" one way or the other but do think we should actually see the GT350R beat the Z/28 before giving it the crown.

If (when) the GT350R beats the Z/28 it will have been expected. Obsolete model (based on the 1999 Holden full size sedan platform - Zeta). If for some reason it does not, oh boy. Its a no lose for Chevy but sure will be fun to watch.
I know what you are saying and do not disagree. But let's say an actual head-to-head comparison never takes place and all we have is lap times at various track to go by, will you concede the "crown" to the GT350R if the times it puts up at VIR, SoW, Laguna Seca, etc. are better than the z?

And while there is "no lose", in your opinion, for the Z in a head-to-head loss to the GT350, the reality is the Mustang boys and magazines will still make a HUGE deal about it. When it comes to Internet and parking lot bragging rights, there are no rules or stipulation, just excuses. Like me, you've been around long enough to know this.

It will be fun to watch, or better yet, experience!
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #297
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
So, to summarize the thread this far:

1. There will be no GT350/GT350R answer from Team Camaro at launch.
2. 5thGen z/28 is old and busted.
3. GT350/GT350R is the new hotness.

Opinions on the latter two will vary and past performance is not indicative of future results.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #298
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
So, to summarize the thread this far:

1. There will be no GT350/GT350R answer from Team Camaro at launch.
2. 5thGen z/28 is old and busted.
3. GT350/GT350R is the new hotness.

Opinions on the latter two will vary and past performance is not indicative of future results.
Old busted hotness

and 4. Dodge doesn't care.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:19 PM   #299
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
I know what you are saying and do not disagree. But let's say an actual head-to-head comparison never takes place and all we have is lap times at various track to go by, will you concede the "crown" to the GT350R if the times it puts up at VIR, SoW, Laguna Seca, etc. are better than the z?

And while there is "no lose", in your opinion, for the Z in a head-to-head loss to the GT350, the reality is the Mustang boys and magazines will still make a HUGE deal about it. When it comes to Internet and parking lot bragging rights, there are no rules or stipulation, just excuses. Like me, you've been around long enough to know this.

Of course the Mustang boys will cheer. Just like if the GT350R loses, they will come up with numerous excuses.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #300
SupportGeek

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:

Speaking for myself, its going to be easy to dismiss, Im not likely to own either the GT350R or the Z28 ever, nor will 99% of those mustang boys doing the bragging.
SupportGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:11 PM   #301
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Wish the mag's would test a fully loaded version like they currently do along with a "stripper". Best of both worlds and it would appease both sides. One can only dream.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #302
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc_Z28 View Post
In terms of what could power the next Z28, a hopped up lt1 (think ls1 to ls6) could fit the bill nicely. From what i've seen Lingenfelter offer, a heads/cam/tune package can get the lt1 over 500 hp fairly easy. This is the package i'm referring to: http://www.lingenfelter.com/engine-p...cid-lt1-550-hp
The problem is emissions and mpg etc.

An ls1 is capable of well over 500 flywheel hp with a nice heads/cam package. Mine was a mild build with ported ls6 heads and a 228 cam and made 425rwhp.

The current lt1 can make over 600fwhp with a heads/cam package on pump gas depending on aggressiveness.
Think I've seen some builds already in the ~550 rwhp range. Heck even the ls3 was capable of around 530 rwhp.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:10 PM   #303
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
The problem is emissions and mpg etc.

An ls1 is capable of well over 500 flywheel hp with a nice heads/cam package. Mine was a mild build with ported ls6 heads and a 228 cam and made 425rwhp.

The current lt1 can make over 600fwhp with a heads/cam package on pump gas depending on aggressiveness.
Think I've seen some builds already in the ~550 rwhp range. Heck even the ls3 was capable of around 530 rwhp.

This Hot Rod article shows what could be possible.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-supercharger/
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:42 PM   #304
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
You sure do assume alot. Did you forget I owned a late model Camaro, I am not brand loyal whoever has the faster car gets my business? Did I like my 392 better than the SS and 5.0 yep I sure did, why because it was faster much faster.

The Camaro and Mustang weights were significantly less than the 392 but it still didn't matter it was a beat down. If Chevy wants to get me back into a Camaro it needs to ensure that it will not get beat everytime it lines up against its competitors whether on the street or strip. The 455-hp is a great start but lets see if its enough.
You showed your true colors with these posts. What if a GT500 or ZL1 owner said they liked their car much better than a SRT8 392 and it was a beat down in comparison? Just because mags tested the SRT8 against both the GT & SS doesn't mean it was in the same class/category. If they put the RT 5.7 in those comparisons it would have just been a slaughter and not such a good read.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:21 AM   #305
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
This Hot Rod article shows what could be possible.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-supercharger/
Very nice. 700hp from the 427 stroker lt1.

I was just talking build it in your garage and run pump gas numbers. The things that make these chevy motors so amazing. No need to even stroke them or mess with the rotating assembly to get 600hp.

LS3 with off the shelf parts and pump gas is good for 500 + rwhp all day. LT1 looks to be doing the same or better and it has just begun. Like I said Ive seen some ~550 rwhp pump gas off the shelf heads/cam packages.

here is 525 rwhp cam only on an lt1 stingray...no heads

ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #306
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
You showed your true colors with these posts. What if a GT500 or ZL1 owner said they liked their car much better than a SRT8 392 and it was a beat down in comparison? Just because mags tested the SRT8 against both the GT & SS doesn't mean it was in the same class/category. If they put the RT 5.7 in those comparisons it would have just been a slaughter and not such a good read.

If you want to rule out the SRT8 from this discussion that is fine I don't agree but I get it. You however do understand the the 392 ScatPack is an option for the R/T model correct? So please tell me why it shouldn't be compared with the SS/GT models.

If you don't like that I stated I preferred my Challenger over my SS and GT I don't know what else to say. Would I have traded my SRT8 for a auto ZL1 or a GT500 in a heartbeat.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:55 AM   #307
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
So please tell me why it shouldn't be compared with the SS/GT models.
People always try to create the most favorable position from which they can create comparison.

If Dodge considers the Scat Pack a R/T variant then I think it's fair to compare them with a GT/SS of similar price point.

Creating lopsided comparisons is wrong, no matter who does it.

"Yeah well the Boss 302 lost to the ZL1 so lolololol sucks to be Ford!"

"The GT350R beat the Camaro SS! Lolololol Chevy sucks"

See?
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:19 AM   #308
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
If you want to rule out the SRT8 from this discussion that is fine I don't agree but I get it. You however do understand the the 392 ScatPack is an option for the R/T model correct? So please tell me why it shouldn't be compared with the SS/GT models.
http://www.dodge.com/en/challenger/model_details/

That's really a loaded question b/c based on Dodge's own marketing scheme, Scat Packs are separate models just like the Hellcat and SRT8 are listed right along the SXT, SXT Plus, RT, RT Plus, etc...

The reality, is you have to order a "Scat Pack", not tick an option box on the RT build sheet. At least based on their own website. Is it splitting hairs? Probably but I don't necessarily lump in the category with a 1SS or base GT. For one, you will be hard pressed to find one on a lot because Dodge has no interest in losing money on them sitting on a lot or really trying to build a lot. They just aren't as profitable as the RTs and SXTs.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote