Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #631
Synner

Drives: cars
Ok, attack me versus providing proof. Kudos.

This is my experience with only externally coated pipes, a failed coating within 800 miles. And the company wouldn't warranty it because they said there couldn't possibly be an issue because the company does stuff for Nascar.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #632
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Ok, attack me versus providing proof. Kudos.

This is my experience with only externally coated pipes, a failed coating within 800 miles. And the company wouldn't warranty it because they said there couldn't possibly be an issue because the company does stuff for Nascar.
Seriously, you have some kind of deeply rooted need to be right all the time. Since you do not accept my explaination of why this is true, call Calvin. He builds some of the best "Cup" and NHRA Pro Stock headers that money can buy.

Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust Inc.
Matthews, NC 28104
704-821-4494
www.elstonheaders.com

He will tell you to DO NOT coat your headers on the inside. Then you can post here why you think he is wrong. LOL !!!
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #633
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Well, I agree it may be a bit off-topic, but I'd like to hear more about this inside/outside coating discussion. It sure seems like coating the inside would make good sense, but I certainly don't want to give up any ponies because of it!!! Who has some undisputable proof?

Nathan, any word from Brandon at Casper Electronics about how to "de-pin" those wire harness connectors???
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #634
Synner

Found info that states the higher density of stainless helps keep heat in better than non-stainless, nothing about coating stainless being bad. Also the prevention of carbon buildup inside the header helps maintain flow over the life of a header better than uncoated. So the only thing I can find is that its less necessary on stainless due to the thermal properties of the metal, nothing that says its bad or detrimental. There's 2 primary benefits of internal coating in every source I've found, read, and experienced: corrosion resistance on non-stainless and thermal entrapment. Obviously we're going to agree to disagree, but I find it hard to believe that in the 50 years of thermal coatings in motorsports this supposed horsepower robbing effect is 100% undocumented. But its all based upon my deeply rooted need to be right as opposed to thermal dynamics.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...oVL1zibAS2tmPA

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-st...n-performance/
Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #635
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Found info that states the higher density of stainless helps keep heat in better than non-stainless, nothing about coating stainless being bad. Also the prevention of carbon buildup inside the header helps maintain flow over the life of a header better than uncoated. So the only thing I can find is that its less necessary on stainless due to the thermal properties of the metal, nothing that says its bad or detrimental. There's 2 primary benefits of internal coating in every source I've found, read, and experienced: corrosion resistance on non-stainless and thermal entrapment. Obviously we're going to agree to disagree, but I find it hard to believe that in the 50 years of thermal coatings in motorsports this supposed horsepower robbing effect is 100% undocumented. But its all based upon my deeply rooted need to be right as opposed to thermal dynamics.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...oVL1zibAS2tmPA

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-st...n-performance/
you guys crack me up

Good info!

Speaking of bling. Can't wait for till the UPS shows up with ................ http://www.innovatorswest.com/1004-8-Rib-Kit.html

I read somewhere that I will see a 15 HP gain. They don't supply belts, so I will need to get one elsewhere. I'm looking at Gate 8 rib belts.

Last edited by Moreno1; 03-21-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #636
Synner

Why go 8 rib instead of 6? Planning to go FI? Seems like added weight with no benefit unless you're having slippage. I'm pretty sure the 15hp is only if you use the underdrive version unless the accessory pulleys alter the rpm from stock.

Those are nice looking though. I keep debating if I should get the billet ones.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #637
Moreno1

Quote:
Why go 8 rib instead of 6? Planning to go FI? Seems like added weight with no benefit unless you're having slippage. I'm pretty sure the 15hp is only if you use the underdrive version unless the accessory pulleys alter the rpm from stock.

Those are nice looking though. I keep debating if I should get the billet ones.
I was JK on the 15 hp, 8 ribs is planning for the future........
Old 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #638
Synner

Just checking, we all know that only stickers can add 15hp. Show me proof to dispute THAT!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #639
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Just checking, we all know that only stickers can add 15hp. Show me proof to dispute THAT!
No way, dude!!!

Everyone knows that stickers add 15.6hp. Were did you pull that 15hp from? Sheesh... Another Internet expert, Googling "sticker HP" - LOL !!!

Now tell me, is that crank HP or rwhp ???
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #640
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
I was JK on the 15 hp, 8 ribs is planning for the future........
So at the rate you're going with projects, this would mean... next week sometime?

As for the coatings, I have never spoken with Mr. Burns or Mr. Easton, but here is my .02.

If you're using a mild steel header, coat it in and out. Unless you are building an all out race car, I don't understand why you wouldn't. The coating will do a number of things for you: Keep the heat in the exhaust gasses, protect the steel from condensation/rusting, and provide a more slippery surface so deposits are less likely to build up. The coating will also smooth over the inside surfaces (welded joints, etc) to provide less turbulence.

If using a SS header it is not as important. The stainless is more durable than mild steel, it already provides a more slippery surface than mild steel, and it isn't going to rot out from the inside like mild steel

Here are the only reasons I can see to run coated on the outside only. There is a measurable "build" to ceramic coatings that will take up some space inside the primary tubes. Possibly without the coating, the material would be allowed to soak up more heat and hold that heat to keep the exhaust gasses hotter at all times.

Again, just my .02
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #641
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
No way, dude!!!

Everyone knows that stickers add 15.6hp. Were did you pull that 15hp from? Sheesh... Another Internet expert, Googling "sticker HP" - LOL !!!

Now tell me, is that crank HP or rwhp ???
Seriously! of coarse is crank....come on rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
So at the rate you're going with projects, this would mean... next week sometime?

As for the coatings, I have never spoken with Mr. Burns or Mr. Easton, but here is my .02.

If you're using a mild steel header, coat it in and out. Unless you are building an all out race car, I don't understand why you wouldn't. The coating will do a number of things for you: Keep the heat in the exhaust gasses, protect the steel from condensation/rusting, and provide a more slippery surface so deposits are less likely to build up. The coating will also smooth over the inside surfaces (welded joints, etc) to provide less turbulence.

If using a SS header it is not as important. The stainless is more durable than mild steel, it already provides a more slippery surface than mild steel, and it isn't going to rot out from the inside like mild steel

Here are the only reasons I can see to run coated on the outside only. There is a measurable "build" to ceramic coatings that will take up some space inside the primary tubes. Possibly without the coating, the material would be allowed to soak up more heat and hold that heat to keep the exhaust gasses hotter at all times.

Again, just my .02
Kyle, I think you went over......... by my count, that was more like .03
Old 03-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #642
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
I think it is a smart idea to go ahead and get the 8-rib pulleys if FI is ever in your future. I love the bling.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #643
NEGXXIS

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
OK, here we go, exactly what I'm talking about....... Next thing you know, you be painting the whole freakin under carriage. Don't say I didn't warn you
Well I already did that to mine last year !!.....LOL

base coat and clear coat....here are some pics

Attached Images

SOLD 2019 Camaro SS -Wrapped in Matte Magnectic Black - Anderson Carbon Hood and Rear Spoiler – Ikon front spoiler – OEM ZL1 Side Rockers - ZL1 Addons Diffuser - BMR 1.0” Lowering Springs - MRR 228 Wheels 20x10 and 20x11
RIP 2016 Camaro SS https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565453
SOLD 2010 Camaro SS Featured in GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Now Magazines - http://www.superchevy.com/features/g...of-perfection/
NEGXXIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #644
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ SPEED View Post
Well I already did that to mine last year !!.....LOL

base coat and clear coat....here are some pics

great job I wish i had a lift !!!
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote