Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
HOW TO CLEAN ZL1 SUEDE STEERING WHEEL?

Good morning, I just traded up from my 2013 2SS to a 2014 ZL1. It has a suede steering wheel. I hate a steering wheel when it gets sticky. With the black leather steering wheel, I would spray windex on a paper towl and wipe the wheel a couple of times. I did this once a week.

Can I do the same with the black suede ZL1 steering wheel?

Thanks again for all your help

Dimitri
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
If you go to a shoe store/somewhere that sells shoes, they should carry suede cleaning blocks and brushes. The block can be a little messy, but it'll make it look good as new

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
If you go to a shoe store/somewhere that sells shoes, they should carry suede cleaning blocks and brushes. The block can be a little messy, but it'll make it look good as new

Use the cleaning blocks and will look good as new. I would not use windex on suede.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
Thank you for your suggestion.

I am not interested in what it looks like. That would be great if it was not my daily driver. I put 100 miles on it every day. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Idk if I would use windex, but I would suggest getting meguiars quick interior detailer at a store. Spray it onto a towel and wipe the steering wheel down with that. I would think that the alcohol or ammonia in windex could cause some issues.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
Thank you for your suggestion.

I am not interested in what it looks like. That would be great if it was not my daily driver. I put 100 miles on it every day. Any other suggestions?
Other than wearing gloves, that's probably your best bet. Suede gets nasty when it gets saturated with dirt and oil, and the fibers get matted down. A suede block and brush will pull that crap out, and raise the fibers back up. In order to keep the wheel feeling good, you have to regularly maintain it.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Definitely don't use windex... That's going to adversely affect the quality and deteriorate it faster.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
DONT USE WINDEX IT WILL RUIN SUEDE. Buy a suede cleaning kit it usually involves a rubber eraser and a brush(tooth brush will work too) you work the area with a rubber eraser then raise the fibers with the brush. makes the wheel look brand new. Mine still looks like new from the factory!
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
I bought this http://m.cvs.com/mt/www.cvs.com/shop...t-skuid-102984
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
Dimitrim
Dimitri

In the morning when I get my coffee at Starbucks, the door knob is sticky. At the gas station the pump handles are sticky. The hand rail I hold onto at work going up and down the stairs is sticky. I need to be able to wash my steering wheel with something. The brush does not wash the wheel. I will never be driving on a road coarse to take advantage of the grip advantage suede has to offer.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
Leviser

Drives: 03 BLK SSS, 13 BRM ZL1.
I keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in center console, which I use after getting gas or any time I feel the need to use. My understanding is the material is alcantara. There is a cleaner for it by Sonax. I have a bottle which I haven't used yet. I found that most of the dirt is from my hands being sweaty. So I picked up a dash crevice detail brush set at pepboys. There is a brush in the set that I used and helped clean the steering wheel. Using the brush leaves a mess so used a small vac I have to help with cleaning. Came back to as good as new. Thus, no cleaner was used just the brush and vacuum. evetually I expect to use the cleaner. Hope the pic helps.
Attached Images

Leviser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #12
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I agree. Keep something in your car to keep your HANDS clean.

The only ways of cleaning the suede have already been provided. I don't know what else you expect to hear.

Otherwise, get one of those cheesey wheel covers or replace the wheel.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #13
SunnySideUpII

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Bright Yellow
I always keep a mini-size hand sanitizer in the car and I do not touch anything before I clean my hands with it.
SunnySideUpII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #14
kville988
Lurking in my SS

Drives: '14 2SS/RS L99
https://youtu.be/WWpgRTvv9Mk
kville988 is offline   Reply With Quote