Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-17-2022, 02:56 PM   #1
jkstatham

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible
2012-2015 Radio Upgrade Question

Hey guys I have a 2012 SS with the old green screen radio. I have a mylink radio from a 2015. I am wanting to do the swap. I have read and googled but I can't find anywhere on how to make your own harness and make it work. I know the radio has to be reprogrammed which I have covered but paying 300-500 for some wiring from gen5dyi is crazy. Anyone attempted this or know the wiring schematic. I could buy a better aftermarket system for the price of the wiring. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jkstatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:39 PM   #2
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Stop while your behind with my link and go aftermarket.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 03:33 PM   #3
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Ditto.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 05:45 PM   #4
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I did the swap years ago in my 2011. I put the My Link with Nav in. Still working great to this day. I bought the kit from Gen5 but let me see if I can find the directions.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:13 PM   #5
ssonic2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post

Wow it's hard to agree with you about after market. He didn't say anything about speakers or adding a sub. It's been my experience well 10 years back that these after market units leave a lot to be desired. I know the interface is different and some are not very user friendly. The major reason i shy away from them is most don't work well with carplay or andriod3. And phone calling coming and going sucks. Oh can use the interface for the steering controls. And the attached mike looks silly. Sorry for going on. But the head unit have probably come a long way. The more you pay the more you get.

2000 grand get you a good one
ssonic2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 01:25 AM   #6
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssonic2013 View Post
Wow it's hard to agree with you about after market. He didn't say anything about speakers or adding a sub. It's been my experience well 10 years back that these after market units leave a lot to be desired. I know the interface is different and some are not very user friendly. The major reason i shy away from them is most don't work well with carplay or andriod3. And phone calling coming and going sucks. Oh can use the interface for the steering controls. And the attached mike looks silly. Sorry for going on. But the head unit have probably come a long way. The more you pay the more you get.

2000 grand get you a good one
I’m not speaking of adding a 10 yr old aftermarket unit. The new aftermarket interface better than any OEM. You can assign steering wheel controls to almost any function and CarPlay works as any current model year.

Your final point makes my point, you can spend as much as you desire with aftermarket and the sky is the limit. With OEM, your, well stuck at OEM.

To each their own, I own both oem(my link) and aftermarket. To be honest, the engine/exhaust are far better in both of my applications.
I hope the OP enjoys whichever direction they go
Attached Images

SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote