Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
I suspect I'm having a torque converter issue...

I'll be having it checked out on 9/22/14 (had to cancel a prior appointment).

Below is the best way I can describe what is going on, and was wondering if any of you guys have any input/thoughts/etc. I'm also concerned about a tech doing a very cursory check, and not emulating the issue, then saying they didn't find anything. For good or bad, it's becoming more noticeable by the day.

When cruising approximately 35mph or above, with just enough throttle to maintain speed, the car settles into an overdrive gear (either 5th or 6th), and the RPMs settle at just above 1k. No problem there. Then I apply light throttle, gradually increasing. When I get to 1,250 - 1,500 RPM, I get a shudder felt through my steering wheel and shifter, a noticeable drop in power, hanging in that range a moment...then it jumps up to 2,100 with a thrust of acceleration (all while keeping a steady application of the throttle).

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Circle-D_Brian

Drives: 00 Trans Am
It seems like this could be a converter clutch shuddering issue. Do you have a way to monitor TCC slip and adjust?

-Brian
Circle-D_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle-D_Brian View Post
It seems like this could be a converter clutch shuddering issue. Do you have a way to monitor TCC slip and adjust?

-Brian
Unfortunately I do not.

I'll be dropping it off to get looked at it in one week (the soonest I could), but I hate just leaving it there, because I fear getting it back with them saying, "Sorry, we didn't notice a problem."

I can replicate it while driving, but it varies in it's intrusiveness. Some rides it may happen just a bit, barely noticeable. Other rides, it's painfully obvious.

One scenario that seems to really make it stand out is....making a right turn, up curved on ramp onto a highway. Accelerating, around 35mph, you really feel the vibration.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
I ran into a similar situation this weekend! My experience isn't exactly the same, but the symptom is similar.

I've got a 2010 (automatic). I was on a 200+mile trip this weekend. About 30minutes into my trip on the highway at about 70 or so, I think I attempted to speed up a bit and I realized that my car was shaking and vibrating as if I was on the rumble strip on the side of the highway...and I realized that I was dead center in my lane! I was on the right, so I pulled over and stopped. As I slowed down, the vibration seemed to go away. I got out and checked all my tires and saw nothing wrong. I had to laugh because I was just recently explaining how a wheel imbalance might cause a car to vibrate in a narrow range of speeds. The strange thing about my vibration is that it happened from 75MPH all the way down through 45, by which time I was actually on the rumble stripes as I was moving over.

The rest of my trip, on my way there, I had no problems.

On my way back, very similarly, I was traveling along at about 65MPH, and I punched it go speed up a hill, and the vibration returned. I tried slowing down a little, I even put the transmission into sport mode and played with the gears a little to see if it would go away. Maybe about 15-20seconds after it started, the vibration settled out and went away, but I'm not sure if it had anything to do with how I was trying to make it go away.

I talked to a few other car guys at work, and they said it could be the transmission slipping...so...

What's the warranty on our power train? My car has no modifications, BTW.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
NJScorpio

Hmm, doesn't quite sound like my issue (but may be similar). For me, the vibration stops if I either lift off the throttle, or if I lean into the throttle it will power through that issue, and stop above 2,100 RPM (usually).
Old 09-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Hmm, doesn't quite sound like my issue (but may be similar). For me, the vibration stops if I either lift off the throttle, or if I lean into the throttle it will power through that issue, and stop above 2,100 RPM (usually).
Yes, this is different from mine...but let me ask you, what does it feel like? As I mentioned, mine feels like I'm driving on the rumble strips along the side of the highway - a higher frequency vibration. It could the a similar cause with a different symptom.

I just really don't know what to do. The car is still covered under powertrain, but my daily commute is on town roads. I have to make an effort to take it out onto the highway.

Another strange thing is that in both cases it happened about 30 to 40minutes into my trip (on the way back home, it happened in NJ, as a matter of fact). That kind of struck me.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by molloni View Post
I ran into a similar situation this weekend! My experience isn't exactly the same, but the symptom is similar.

I've got a 2010 (automatic). I was on a 200+mile trip this weekend. About 30minutes into my trip on the highway at about 70 or so, I think I attempted to speed up a bit and I realized that my car was shaking and vibrating as if I was on the rumble strip on the side of the highway...and I realized that I was dead center in my lane! I was on the right, so I pulled over and stopped. As I slowed down, the vibration seemed to go away. I got out and checked all my tires and saw nothing wrong. I had to laugh because I was just recently explaining how a wheel imbalance might cause a car to vibrate in a narrow range of speeds. The strange thing about my vibration is that it happened from 75MPH all the way down through 45, by which time I was actually on the rumble stripes as I was moving over.

The rest of my trip, on my way there, I had no problems.

On my way back, very similarly, I was traveling along at about 65MPH, and I punched it go speed up a hill, and the vibration returned. I tried slowing down a little, I even put the transmission into sport mode and played with the gears a little to see if it would go away. Maybe about 15-20seconds after it started, the vibration settled out and went away, but I'm not sure if it had anything to do with how I was trying to make it go away.

I talked to a few other car guys at work, and they said it could be the transmission slipping...so...

What's the warranty on our power train? My car has no modifications, BTW.
Power train warranty is for 5 years or 100,000 miles from the in service date.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Power train warranty is for 5 years or 100,000 miles from the in service date.
thanks!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #9
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
make sure you tell them 30 minutes of driving or 25 miles, something that they have to take an extended test drive. offer to ride with them and if necessary drive your car to duplicate the concern. It may be something that can be resolved with a new transmission calibration. They should at least insure it has the latest calibration.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
make sure you tell them 30 minutes of driving or 25 miles, something that they have to take an extended test drive. offer to ride with them and if necessary drive your car to duplicate the concern. It may be something that can be resolved with a new transmission calibration. They should at least insure it has the latest calibration.
I'm dropping it off tonight, and unfortunately I won't be there to speak with a tech, but I'll relay the message that it needs to be about 30 minutes of driving to be apparent (though, sometimes, it's less).

The whole issue has changed a bit, where I less often have that vibration/shudder, and now I just generally have less power below 2,500rpm when above 35mph.

Hell, now under hard acceleration it feels like my transmission doesn't want to upshift from 2nd into 3rd sometimes. Ugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molloni View Post
Yes, this is different from mine...but let me ask you, what does it feel like? As I mentioned, mine feels like I'm driving on the rumble strips along the side of the highway - a higher frequency vibration. It could the a similar cause with a different symptom.
It almost feels like rumble strips, but it is only felt in the steering wheel and shifter, not through the seats as if it is suspension.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Does your car have an automatic transmission? It sure sounds like classic symptoms of a bad torque converter...

"Shuddering – If you start to feel shudders when driving about 30 to 45 MPH, this could mean that you have torque converter problems on your hand. It will often feel like running over rough road or bumps and you will definitely notice it when it happens. Shuddering comes and goes without warning, so once you feel it the first time you should get your transmission checked out as soon as possible. Don’t wait for it to happen again."

http://www.ehow.com/about_5611225_to...-problems.html

Of course, if yours is a manual... never mind.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #12
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
if you need a stock converter PM me. I took mine out when I did my cam swap and went with Circle D. I have approximately 3800 miles on that converter.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote