Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #1
Shtiggs

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS Manual
Steering wheel swap (auto wheel on manual trans) to use paddle shifters as buttons..

I would like to know if it is possible to put an automatic steering wheel on a manual trans car with the following as the ideal end state:
1. Airbags work.
2. Factory cruse, radio, etc work
3. Left paddle shifter used for something like momentary line lock button.
4. Right paddle shifter used for something like nitrous or scramble boost button.

I have looked around a bit and have not seen anyone try it. The closest I have seen is putting the line lock button on the cruse control cancel button with a bit of a homebrew circuit.

Any suggestions, previous attempts, posts I could not find, jokes or comments would be helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited by Shtiggs; 02-14-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Shtiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtiggs View Post
I would like to know if it is possible to put an automatic steering wheel on a manual trans car with the following as the ideal end state:
1. Airbags work.
2. Factory cruse, radio, etc work
3. Left paddle shifter used for something like momentary line lock button.
4. Right paddle shifter used for something like nitrous or scrabble boost button.

I have looked around a bit and have not seen anyone try it. The closest I have seen is putting the line lock button on the cruse control cancel button with a bit of a homebrew circuit.

Any suggestions, previous attempts, posts I could not find, jokes or comments would be helpful.

Thanks!
Problem is those switches are single wire low voltage that provide a path to ground. Each one has a different resister built into it telling the BCM what the command is. I don't think it will work for what your trying to do.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:39 PM   #3
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Is the resistor built into the switch? if not they should be able to handle the voltage/amperage to trigger a relay.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:34 PM   #4
Shtiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Is the resistor built into the switch? if not they should be able to handle the voltage/amperage to trigger a relay.
This is kind of what I was thinking, similar to the method that is used in the cruse control cancel button mod that was used for line locks.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340493

I am not sure what the automatic steering wheel harness looks like or if the shifter paddles sit on a separate slip ring that I can just order and do some testing on, I don't think it is. I have not removed my steering wheel and don't know if the connectors are the same and if there are existing unused wires that extend in the harness of the manual that we could repurpose for this use case. Would anyone be interested in something like this? I don't think it is impossible and would be really useful in the end but I am silly and like to keep stuff as close to stock on the interior as I can.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:48 AM   #5
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Yes, the left switch has 2 resisters...a 4120 ohm and a 1370 ohm. The right switch has a single 634 ohm resister built in. Another issue you will have even if you can figure out how to bypass the resistor in the switches is that both switches are spliced together before going through the coil assembly so both switches would control the same device.

Last edited by NOT A 45; 02-15-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:41 PM   #6
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
Yes, the left switch has 2 resisters...a 4120 ohm and a 1370 ohm. The right switch has a single 634 ohm resister built in. Another issue you will have even if you can figure out how to bypass the resistor in the switches is that both switches are spliced together before going through the coil assembly so both switches would control the same device.
NOT A 45 smarter than
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2022, 08:43 AM   #7
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Just thinking out of the box , maybe try a different approach... just install after market paddle shifters onto your manual wheel (if they can be attached ) and wire them directly to what you want.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:56 AM   #8
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekono View Post
NOT A 45 smarter than
Ha! I do see some resemblance but I'm just an old redneck mokanic who's been a dealership lifer and has access to GM service information. I was curious if that would work also, so I broke out the schematic.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:57 AM   #9
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Spell check "Resistor"
I have the full schematics of the steering wheels if you need them. I installed a 2016 heated steering wheel in my 2011. It was a painful process but now I have another vehicle for the winter and i don't even use it
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:19 PM   #10
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
Spell check "Resistor"
I have the full schematics of the steering wheels if you need them. I installed a 2016 heated steering wheel in my 2011. It was a painful process but now I have another vehicle for the winter and i don't even use it
Yinz is right...lol Wasn't paying attention.... I'd love to hear details about the heated steering wheel and how you made it work.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:44 PM   #11
Car Nation Videos
YouTube-Car Nation Videos

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
I would keep your steering wheel and get after market paddles on it and wire it yourself.
Car Nation Videos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:38 PM   #12
Shtiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
Yinz is right...lol Wasn't paying attention.... I'd love to hear details about the heated steering wheel and how you made it work.
I am really into keeping things look close to stock. most people would not notice small details like a wheel swap. I really appriciate the information.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #13
Shtiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
Spell check "Resistor"
I found this but if you have more it would be helpful. I think I have everything I need here since one of my buttons just needs to be a ground switch and the other is 12v. I think I will be able to get both of them in and use what I see as an open spot on the connector to pin out the extra wire I will need and since I have a manual transmission the purple data wire is free for me to use without impact to anything existing.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...=337879&page=2
Old 02-22-2022, 03:55 PM   #14
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtiggs View Post
I found this but if you have more it would be helpful. I think I have everything I need here since one of my buttons just needs to be a ground switch and the other is 12v. I think I will be able to get both of them in and use what I see as an open spot on the connector to pin out the extra wire I will need and since I have a manual transmission the purple data wire is free for me to use without impact to anything existing.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...=337879&page=2
I'm pretty familiar with the switches and their functions and should be able to help you out if you have any questions
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote