Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
GM: Aerodynamics to Drive Auto Design

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Aerodynamics will have as great an effect on car design as weight in meeting future fuel efficiency standards, General Motors Corp's vice president of global design said on Wednesday.

"We can certainly work to reduce the overall size of the vehicle, but we are getting to the point in our vehicles where aerodynamics is arguably more important than mass reduction," Ed Welburn told Reuters on the sidelines of the Chicago Auto Show.

That does not mean that every vehicle will look the same, as they did in the 1970s and 1980s when economy cars aimed to consumers looking for better mileage and thrift were met with vehicles reviled for their boxy designs.

That should not happen again, Welburn said. There is still room to design sporty or roomy vehicles without sacrificing fuel efficiency, he said.
"I believe there are solutions to do very spirited sporty cars and a wide variety of cars to meet the needs of our customers," he said.

Welburn said that the economy cars of the 1980s also did not need to look alike, a failing that could be laid in part to the designers not being integrated with product development as they are now.

"I'm not convinced that everyone was doing their job in making the cars look different from each other in the '80s," he said."

http://in.reuters.com/article/busine...37969920090212
Old 02-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I fear this might result in more eco-blobs and less 'character' in cars. But they don't have much of a choice if they are going to reach the new CAFE standards.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Forcing us to drive economy cars is the environmentalists dream and now it is much closer to becoming a reality. All this to combat global warming myth that it is being caused by humans and their pollution. Innovation in making the cars more aerodynamic has a time and place but to move every platform to be aerodynamic is a huge mistake since it will inevitably take away from the styles we see and love today.. Goodbye Mustang, Challenger and Camaro as we know it... The Vette is already aerodynamic so at least that won't change... But the engine inside probably will in order to meet new CAFE standards..Bad times we are living in and only getting worse with the new progressive liberals in charge of Congress and the White House.. Being able ot pass the stimulus in the House with no republican support and 7 Dems also voting against it is very troubling.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Forcing us to drive economy cars is the environmentalists dream and now it is much closer to becoming a reality. All this to combat global warming myth that it is being caused by humans and their pollution. Innovation in making the cars more aerodynamic has a time and place but to move every platform to be aerodynamic is a huge mistake since it will inevitably take away from the styles we see and love today.. Goodbye Mustang, Challenger and Camaro as we know it... The Vette is already aerodynamic so at least that won't change... But the engine inside probably will in order to meet new CAFE standards..Bad times we are living in and only getting worse with the new progressive liberals in charge of Congress and the White House.. Being able ot pass the stimulus in the House with no republican support and 7 Dems also voting against it is very troubling.

Wow, did I write that? I could have. But, Supermans, the catch phrase is now "Climate Change" since enough honorable scientists have finally come out against GW, and the clear indications that we are now cooling down. That way eco-solutions are still needed and thus money to be made. Most upsetting - the mentality of those that voted them into office. Everyone else needs to remember, We the People are supposed to be in charge, but that can't happen if we remain silent.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
We the People are supposed to be in charge, but that can't happen if we remain silent.
Uh-huh....I hate to take my own thread down a political road...but "we the people" spoke up in record numbers last November. I can't say whether or not I agree with the majority's choice...but we did speak up....

The issue.....is understanding what we have opinions about...which far too few are able to do nowadays...:(

Anyways -- According to the above -- Ed Welburn seems to be stressing the fact that not all cars will look the same...he seems to have something up his sleeve, if you ask me.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

The intent of the CAFE laws is not to fight global warming but to reduce dependence on foreign oil.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
If this was anyone other than Ed Welburn saying this, I would be worried. In this case, I think we might get our cake and eat it too, or in other words we'll have attractive cars that are also efficient. Interesting stuff.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The intent of the CAFE laws is not to fight global warming but to reduce dependence on foreign oil.
In which it is a big fat failure.

It won't be a drop in the bucket of our national consumption.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
its all political posturing ..cafe that is , these politicians don't care about Climate change or dependence on foreign oil...they pander to the lobbyist who contributes the most..
Old 02-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I definitely like the idea of more aerodynamic cars so long as they maintain the quality of design of recent GM products. I'm worried that every GM car is going to look the same if aerodynamics is the only concern. In a worst case scenario, this may be an excuse to do a lot of rebadging in the future, and that is very dangerous.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
In which it is a big fat failure.

It won't be a drop in the bucket of our national consumption.
Maybe the newest one, but it did have a positive impact when it was introduced ~30 years ago. It also had a lot to do with the Camaro getting the Iron Puke engine.

Camaro Fest sub-forum