Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
ParkerB57
COTW 11/12/12

Drives: 1SS RS IBM
Extreme Suspension to Less Extreme

I currently have a set of Pedders Super Car coilovers on my 2010 SS Camaro. I love them and when I used to track the car they were great, however as the Family grows and I have less time to drive the car and even less time to track the car I would like to down grade to something that is much smoother for a daily driving but still offers the ability to tighten it up If I ever get a chance to hit the track again.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Ben
Old 11-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Can't you just soften the setting on the Coilovers? With the BC's I ran when I felt like I would just turn them down....

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #3
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
You may have to change to a lower spring rate spring, if available. You can simply lower the damping settings on the existing coilover shocks, but the acceptable damping range is limited by the spring rate. Higher spring rate requires higher damping to control.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Late to the party but I have had same ride issue for as long as I have had these. Four years and no really good setting. Partly due to rear spring/ perch setup as a compromise. The other I feel is the overly stiff ftont springsthat set up a bad rhythm over bumps. They are fine on normal roads and some washboard areas and well controlled, just to stiff and or bouncy regardless of settings. Pedders engineer didn’t think softer front and slightly softer rear would help ride, which I find odd. The Rep thought that was odd also. Valving may not be well tailored then. Who knows. Had enough of trying to find a decent ride, and autocross handling wasn’t bad.
Upshot is I am dumping them and got Ridetechs.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
These guys are pretty much correct. The spring rate primarily determines ride quality, and there is very a narrow range of shock/strut valve settings that works well for a given spring rate. A lot of people (mainly import nuts) and companies claim that reducing your rebound dampening will make the car ride softer which is a crock. It makes the car bounce and ride much worse, while being exactly as harsh on compression as it always was.

Here's a similar story nobody wants to read. My father built his 1992 5.0 Mustang with full maximum motorsports suspension and coilovers, then felt the suspension was too stiff. I rode in it, told him what to do (10-20% softer springs), and he ignored me and had his bilsteins revalved (too soft.) The car was then much harsher to drive and felt like shit. So to save money, he went with my recommended spring rates and did not re-revalve the shocks (not cost effective, he may as well buy a new set...). His car now rides a bit better than before, but is not faster around the corners than when he first built it, and it slightly lacks damping control and really needs the original bilstein spec valving. Sometimes you just need softer springs...

I'd recommend going to a softer spring on your current coilovers, or even to a softer spring and strut setup with appropriately matched damping such as stock springs and bilstein struts. Maybe even 1LE setup? But there is no way to actually change your ride without either changing springs, or having a setup with adjustable preload (not the same as ride height).

Another method to take the harsh out of the ride could be different tires with a softer sidewall? We have limited options in our size range, but that is another variable to work with.
TWOFORTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
mf1ve

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS
I agree completely with TWOFORTYZ, a change in spring rate is a good idea. I made a lot of spring changes to my last daily driver over the years, as it went from weekend track car to autocross car to 100 mile/day commuter. I kept the same coilovers and dialed them up and down a bit while changing the spring rates about 10% at a time - I always found a good setting for what I needed.
mf1ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I installed the ridetechs. Much better on ride. Set on their softest setting it is good around town, almost to soft and some front end float. Will dial them up some. No more teeter totter on concaved concrete sections. 300/550 spring rates and better valving did it. And yes you could tell the main culprit was the 450 lb front springs. Autocross this weekend to see how she does
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote