Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Finding someone to install stripes??

How do you guys go about finding someone to install stripes? I bought some hood spears and some stripes for the rear quarters. I've called a few places that tint windows and none of them do stripes. I guess I could try doing it myself, but I'd rather have a pro do it. Where do I find a pro??
Old 01-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Tigerfan

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Camaro
Finding someone to install stripes??

Maybe a body shop. Tint shops in my area do it. Surprised that none in your area do.
Tigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Install yourself! Super easy! Happy to share my process of U want
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
Tigerfan

I would like to know the process myself also.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
Red2014SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyTen2SSRS View Post
Install yourself! Super easy! Happy to share my process of U want
Yes, please share your process! Tigerfan, if this process looks like it's too much, I'll try some body shops.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
TwentyTen2SSRS

Simple...

1. Make sure to clean surface completely

2. I use the "wet method" mix up a spray bottle of water and dawn dish soap

3. Cut binyl stripes out living very little around edges of the vinyl piece (hood spears for example)

4. Test lay down (dry) so you can get an idea for placement

5. Depending on project I then tape outside edges as markers for where vinyl should lay down when ready to apply (for hood spears can skip this)

6. Remove top layer of paper from vinyl graphic

7. Spray soap and water mix liberally on both area to be applied (hood for spears etx) as well as the exposed vinyl

This allows you auto slide the graphic around to get correct placement (also to match up with tape marks of you did that above)

8. Once you like placement use old credit card or store card (most vinyl shops provide a plastic "squeegee" thing) if they didn't use a old card

8. Begin working water/soap mixture out by using credit card from the middle out pushing the water mixture out and allowing vinyl to adhere to vehicle

Do this over and over to remove any bubbles they may for (be gentle and if you can't get a bubble don't worry!)
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
Old 01-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Tigerfan

Sounds simple enough. I have a rally set I want to install soon. I'm really hesitant about others touching my car. I would rather mess it up myself if it were to get messed up.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Call a shop that does vehicle wraps and signs, they can do it I am sure.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:28 PM   #9
TwentyTen2SSRS

trust me its super easy. Save yourself 300-400 bucks and put that towards something else
Old 01-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
nivensid

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyTen2SSRS View Post
Simple...

1. Make sure to clean surface completely

2. I use the "wet method" mix up a spray bottle of water and dawn dish soap

3. Cut binyl stripes out living very little around edges of the vinyl piece (hood spears for example)

4. Test lay down (dry) so you can get an idea for placement

5. Depending on project I then tape outside edges as markers for where vinyl should lay down when ready to apply (for hood spears can skip this)

6. Remove top layer of paper from vinyl graphic

7. Spray soap and water mix liberally on both area to be applied (hood for spears etx) as well as the exposed vinyl

This allows you auto slide the graphic around to get correct placement (also to match up with tape marks of you did that above)

8. Once you like placement use old credit card or store card (most vinyl shops provide a plastic "squeegee" thing) if they didn't use a old card

8. Begin working water/soap mixture out by using credit card from the middle out pushing the water mixture out and allowing vinyl to adhere to vehicle

Do this over and over to remove any bubbles they may for (be gentle and if you can't get a bubble don't worry!)
I followed the same process above, go to Youtube and see it in action. This is so easy I have changed mine three times, super easy.
nivensid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #11
Red2014SS

I actually tried to install some hash marks and failed miserably. It was kind of windy outside and that made the job tough. I got one hash mark installed, but there were a couple of tiny air bubbles I couldn't get out. You say not to worry about that? Do they just disappear over time? They were about the size of a pinhead.

I gave up and removed the stripe, then ordered more. I am hesitant to try it again.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #12
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
You learn from your mistakes. I've done hash marks on both my current and previous camaros with a few tiny bubbles but they aren't noticable. I've done hood spears on my current car and they turned out perfectly. Highly suggest a wet install method with soapy water. Once you worked out most/all the air bubbles, use a hair dryer or heat gun and go over the vinyl with your squeegee or card again to work out any other bubbles, plus the heat will allow the vinyl to adhere better as well. Try to keep them dry the next day or two and in the sun so they adhere and the bubbles will work themselves out.
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
issues

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
It is easy to get rid of all bubbles. Watch this video and dont pay attention to the decal.. lol

issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #14
TwentyTen2SSRS

Yes don't worry about some of the little bubbles most will dissipate if in warmer climate. I forgot to mention my last step is for some air bubbles that don't go away and are bugging the shit out of U - simply use a pin or small razor blade to slice the bubble ever so slightly ( or pop of really small) it releases trapped water underneath and simply smooth that down.