Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K11SS View Post
Contact Eric at MPD1. I have their cowl hood and it adds alot of room in the center where the Whipple would sit. I had a custom elbow built and it would not fit under a stock hood but fits easily under the MPD1 hood. They will also cut holes into the cowl to help get the heat out.
In a street car, I wouldn't be cutting holes in the back of a hood. That area has to be sealed from the engine compartment heat, or forget about using the HVAC system.

Try riding in a stock Camaro with the rear hood seal removed. The heat blast and engine fumes from the HVAC vents will quickly change any thoughts on modifying the cowl. A bigger more powerfull supercharged engine with more heat would magnify the problem. It will be like riding in an oven.

Works for the COPO, because of no HVAC or wipers. The procharger idea will look pretty good soon.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
In a street car, I wouldn't be cutting holes in the back of a hood. That area has to be sealed from the engine compartment heat, or forget about using the HVAC system.

Try riding in a stock Camaro with the rear hood seal removed. The heat blast and engine fumes from the HVAC vents will quickly change any thoughts on modifying the cowl. A bigger more powerfull supercharged engine with more heat would magnify the problem. It will be like riding in an oven.

Works for the COPO, because of no HVAC or wipers. The procharger idea will look pretty good soon.

There is a guy around here that was running a 4.0 Kenne Bell. Considering that they are close to the same size look and see what his issues were... I will try to find the thread.

Edit Sorry he was running a LSX 454 3.6 L Kenne Bell Supercharger. He had no issues.

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...hlight=lsx+454
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
The fastest camaro to date runs one, so not really a face palm.
does the fastest camaro to date run pump gas? you know that running race gas and or meth makes a huge difference to how much power you can make and how hot/cold the IAT's get. sucking air right above the exhaust manifolds sounds like a very wise idea
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
There is a guy around here that was running a 4.0 Kenne Bell. Considering that they are close to the same size look and see what his issues were... I will try to find the thread.

Edit Sorry he was running a LSX 454 3.6 L Kenne Bell Supercharger. He had no issues.

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...hlight=lsx+454
I thought of KB, since that fits under the hood, but KB has a VERY bad track record as far as inlet temps go, they are extremely unefficient, and if you look through camaro5 you will find data from some of the well known vendors. Even with their LC (liquid cooled) blowers, unfortunately.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post

so what are all the street camaros with cowl hoods doing? The cowl hoods should release quite some heat at the back as well. Also, even if we are forced to cut the rubber seal right where the blower comes close to the firewall, we could it intact elsewhere, it doesnt have to come off completely.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #20
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Run an alternate fuel cell for the race gas, and pump gas tune for regular driving. It will be a lot simpler if you do something like that. The hot air that a procharger pulls in still results in lower IATs than a maxed roots type.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #21
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
I will be glad to help you with the inlet,i have a few ideas and you will need it to let the 4.0 breath.If i had the car here i could do a sick hood.Let me think about the hood
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
fit a procharger and suck hot air from under the engine compartment?
That is an uneducated comment. No offense. But really. A centri through a front mount will have cooler IAT's than that whipple 4.0.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
thebeast916

Drives: Blown G8 GT
Don't look at the intake location as a Downfall for the procharger. Iats Are only 10-15 degrees above Ambient. Roots type blower can do that, but not under boost or even spinning the hell out of it like you will be.

I'd be putting an f1 or f2 procharger or vortech ysi before I'd go whipple.
thebeast916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
so what are all the street camaros with cowl hoods doing? The cowl hoods should release quite some heat at the back as well. Also, even if we are forced to cut the rubber seal right where the blower comes close to the firewall, we could it intact elsewhere, it doesnt have to come off completely.
Don't know why anyone would release heat at the back of the hood. That is where the HVAC inlet is. How hot would you like the interior of the car to get?

The old cowl inductions for street cars like a '70 Chevelle were to let air in the engine intake, but they still sealed off the back of the hood. Race cars open up the back of the cowl, but they have no HVAC inlet.

There is a reason the ZL1 has the hood opening up front, and the back is sealed.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
That is an uneducated comment. No offense. But really. A centri through a front mount will have cooler IAT's than that whipple 4.0.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #26
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown

Glad you finally made it over here... it took you long enough!!
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #27
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
eric=mpd1, he modified mt ram air hood to amke sure there was plenty of room
Old 10-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #28
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Got a knife?
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote