Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #15
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
I would at a minimum politely ask the service manager to switch the tech up and have him put his most experience tech on the issue. Some techs are much better at diagnostics.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
Clearly the dealer doesn't know what their diagnosing. You don't have a lemon, you have a car with a problem that your dealer can't diagnose properly. Had it of been diagnosed right the first time, the problem would be resolved.

The ABS light and all other related lights are coming on because of the ECM is causing those modules to shut down because of the issue your having with the car.

Don't listen to "FINALYSATIFIED" the reduced engine power message can be turned on for several faults, I can think of atleast 15 codes right now off the top of my head that set that light and only 1 of them is gas pedal related. The APPS code is P2138. Jumping to conclusions/mystery diagnosing and throwing parts at the car is exactly why the issue with your car hasn't been repaired.

Give me a bit and I will report back with more information on the code you provided.
And you've contributed 141 posts to this forum? Who are you again? Lol. Contribute to the forum alittle more before you start speaking sideways out your mouth.

First, I've experienced the "engine reduce power" come up on my '11 2SS. What happened when I took it in? They replaced the acceleration pedal. Does that seem odd? It did to me. Needless to say they ordered the part it was replaced in a day and fixed. I was driving on the highway and immediately the car wouldn't go over 35mph. I had to pull over and luckily enough I wasn't too far from a dealer. Never experienced anything like it before. The whole part of a member posting there issue is for others to chime in, whom maybe had the same issue or know possible reasons. You clearly seem ignorant to the fact you know everything. Hmm.

OP, you can either choose to bring it up to the dealer or not. Your call. Even proud technicians for 4 years can make stupid mistakes and erroneous comments. Keep in mind you'll find alot of chiefs on this forum claiming they know a fix when they don't. That was my experience with that same fault you were having. Your more than welcome to call Lindsay Chevrolet in Woodbridge, VA and ask to speak to one of the experience Techs about it. This probably happened about a year ago when I had the 2SS. I've been through a 1LE and ZL1 since then.

In anycase hope you get everything resolved.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
The engine reduced power is caused by the acceleration pedal. Have them replace that.
That is possible since it is a throttle by wire, just as a throttle position sensor can fail the sensor that measures the position of the accelerator pedal can fail.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Alright,

Now let me be clear on this, the APPS or TPS does NOT have anything to do with a P1682, which is the code that his vehicle is currently setting when the condition occurs.

I have changed TONS of APPS (gas pedals) on several different GM vehicles for a reduced engine power message, on Impala's, Malibu's, C/K (Silverado, GMC) trucks, Savana/Express van's, Camaro's etc... I have also changed changed TONS of throttle bodies and TPS (throttle body sensors) for reduced engine power messages coming on in the same vehicles.

I can say with 100% certainty that EVERY single time any of these vehicles came in, they had a P2138 (APPS correlation code) and or a P2135 (TPS correlation code) set in either current or history. GM has several tech bulletins released on these conditions and trouble codes because it is a VERY common problem. They have also released ECM re flashes with diagnostic and repair/service procedures to prevent to condition from re occurring once repaired.

Now let me say this again, a faulty TPS or APPS sensor CANNOT set a P1682, the ONLY common link between all three is the "reduced engine power" message, that is all. And the APPS/TPS sensors are not in any way related to having a hard time starting a vehicle or causing intermittent no starts.

Now I really don't appreciate you calling me out, by basically calling me a smart ass, but what you may be forgetting is that I am A LICENSED GM TECH that works at a GM DEALER. I graduated with honors through their ASEP program. I have been a GM Tech Guild grand master several years in a row, I won gold twice and silver once when I participated in their hands on competition. I am not trying to brag, I'm trying to prove a point. I have TONS of experience with electrical diagnosing, new model technologies etc... I am not a regular guy off the street, I have years of experience on the bench and I KNOW what im talking about. I feel like I can help people with problems I commonly see or that I can make people feel at ease when they think they have big issues with their vehicle when its a simple small repair. I have access to a TON of information and repair instructions for all GM vehicles, which im pretty sure is very nice to have around here

I really like how this forum has a section dedicated to Camaro issues, problems and warranty discussion because I have found myself using the knowledge of other posters to broaden my diagnostic approaches to find and repair problems the first time when a vehicle is brought in for service. I do understand that anyone can chime in and try to help out a fellow Camaro5 member which is great, but I post whenever I feel that I can steer a thread back into the right direction, especially in this section. I have found that some threads fly out in left field very quick because of speculation and all sorts of ideas thrown out on the table. It makes the OP or customer believe that he has car full of faulty parts which in the end 99% of them aren't even related to his concern. Which is what was happening in this thread. I want to help the OP get this issue resolved, that is why I basically posted up as much use full information as I could to help him out. You DON'T need 5000 posts to know what your talking about, I have spoken to many knowledgeable individuals on this site who aren't auto mechanic's and who dont have 5000 posts, I am not speaking sideways or running my mouth in any way, I'm just calling it like it is, if you read my post, I'm pretty sure I have TONS of useful information it. I also don't know everything, I have made mistakes, I have diagnosed vehicles wrong, but like anything else, it comes with experience, time and dedication, I learn from my mistakes, moved on and know for next time.

I hope the information provided in this thread will help you get your vehicle repaired... I would strongly suggest you change your dealer, maybe a different approach from a different dealer will have this problem solved and you'll be back up and running in now time. OP I do apologize for my rant with FINALLYSATISFIED, im basically dumping on your thread.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.

Last edited by DJ_BigC; 11-23-2013 at 02:19 PM.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
DJ that is great information, it's very informative.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
If you have a lemon law In you're state you should have that car replaced. Don't keep dealing with it anymore.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
We are happy to help! You can click on the Chevrolet Customer Service username and then click "send a private message." If you could provide us with your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of involved dealership, we are happy to assist further. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
Definitely talk to these guys.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #22
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Alright,

Now let me be clear on this, the APPS or TPS does NOT have anything to do with a P1682, which is the code that his vehicle is currently setting when the condition occurs.

I have changed TONS of APPS (gas pedals) on several different GM vehicles for a reduced engine power message, on Impala's, Malibu's, C/K (Silverado, GMC) trucks, Savana/Express van's, Camaro's etc... I have also changed changed TONS of throttle bodies and TPS (throttle body sensors) for reduced engine power messages coming on in the same vehicles.

I can say with 100% certainty that EVERY single time any of these vehicles came in, they had a P2138 (APPS correlation code) and or a P2135 (TPS correlation code) set in either current or history. GM has several tech bulletins released on these conditions and trouble codes because it is a VERY common problem. They have also released ECM re flashes with diagnostic and repair/service procedures to prevent to condition from re occurring once repaired.

Now let me say this again, a faulty TPS or APPS sensor CANNOT set a P1682, the ONLY common link between all three is the "reduced engine power" message, that is all. And the APPS/TPS sensors are not in any way related to having a hard time starting a vehicle or causing intermittent no starts.

Now I really don't appreciate you calling me out, by basically calling me a smart ass, but what you may be forgetting is that I am A LICENSED GM TECH that works at a GM DEALER. I graduated with honors through their ASEP program. I have been a GM Tech Guild grand master several years in a row, I won gold twice and silver once when I participated in their hands on competition. I am not trying to brag, I'm trying to prove a point. I have TONS of experience with electrical diagnosing, new model technologies etc... I am not a regular guy off the street, I have years of experience on the bench and I KNOW what im talking about. I feel like I can help people with problems I commonly see or that I can make people feel at ease when they think they have big issues with their vehicle when its a simple small repair. I have access to a TON of information and repair instructions for all GM vehicles, which im pretty sure is very nice to have around here

I really like how this forum has a section dedicated to Camaro issues, problems and warranty discussion because I have found myself using the knowledge of other posters to broaden my diagnostic approaches to find and repair problems the first time when a vehicle is brought in for service. I do understand that anyone can chime in and try to help out a fellow Camaro5 member which is great, but I post whenever I feel that I can steer a thread back into the right direction, especially in this section. I have found that some threads fly out in left field very quick because of speculation and all sorts of ideas thrown out on the table. It makes the OP or customer believe that he has car full of faulty parts which in the end 99% of them aren't even related to his concern. Which is what was happening in this thread. I want to help the OP get this issue resolved, that is why I basically posted up as much use full information as I could to help him out. You DON'T need 5000 posts to know what your talking about, I have spoken to many knowledgeable individuals on this site who aren't auto mechanic's and who dont have 5000 posts, I am not speaking sideways or running my mouth in any way, I'm just calling it like it is, if you read my post, I'm pretty sure I have TONS of useful information it. I also don't know everything, I have made mistakes, I have diagnosed vehicles wrong, but like anything else, it comes with experience, time and dedication, I learn from my mistakes, moved on and know for next time.

I hope the information provided in this thread will help you get your vehicle repaired... I would strongly suggest you change your dealer, maybe a different approach from a different dealer will have this problem solved and you'll be back up and running in now time. OP I do apologize for my rant with FINALLYSATISFIED, im basically dumping on your thread.
Idc if you don't appreciate me calling you out. You should think before you speak. Lesson learned on your behalf. That's a kindergarten rule, which you clearly never learned. Keep my name out your mouth, you don't know me and honestly with the lack of respect you won't ever know me. Stick to the topic at hand and keep it moving. Not one for the Internet arguments, I'd rather be confrontational. Did I ever once say, "don't listen to DJdick?" No. That wasn't my place to say that. It was obvious you were helping the OP. You crossed the line with the comments you made regarding my personal experience. Sorry but you can't justify you doing and saying the right thing. So honestly just keep it moving.

OP, like I've stated, I hope you get your issue resolved. Hopefully this forum can provide help that you can bring to your dealers aid. It's helped me in many situations as i hope it helps you. Good luck and let us know what happens.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

I never said anything bad regarding the issue you posted with you 11, 2SS Camaro, I never said anything bad about you personally, I was straight to the point, told you what code you most likely had set when your vehicle faulted, and said it was 100% not related to his problem.

The reason I stated for the OP not to listen is because I see TONS and I mean TONS of people come into the dealer with self diagnosed vehicles, the vehicles come in and the customer thinks they narrowed down the possible causes using eBay, YouTube, Forums and Google, when in reality it is not the problem with their vehicle. When we give them the vehicle back, they think we didn't fix a single thing because what we repaired and what they thought was the problem is two different things.

Now I am not saying there is anything wrong with using the internet to find, diagnose and narrow down the possible causes to a problem your having with your vehicle, but what people tend to forget is that vehicles now days are much more complex, and just because John Doe in Florida has an ABS light on and is having problems with his car, doesn't mean that Jane Doe with an ABS light on in Ontario has the problem with her,s but since its the same trouble light thats on, people instantly think it has to be the same problem, no matter what.

Way back when you could get away with that because the ABS light would come on for 1 of 5 reasons, the engine light would come on for 1 of 20 reasons and if you looked online and talked to the right people, you had a pretty good chance of finding the problem quickly. But now days, with the Global A platform that GM is using in pretty much all of their new cars, the engine light can come on for 1 of 2000 reasons... and thats just one module/concern.

We are seeing a growing amount of people coming in to the service department with self diagnosed issues, some of which are valid, most of which are not. After they describe the problem, if their even is one with their vehicle, this famous sentence always follows: "I read online that there was a lot of people having problems with"...... And then the customer supplies a folder with tons of internet documents that they found regarding an SES light issue with a Camaro. Sometimes I have found the information provided to be beneficial to my diagnosing and have found the problem using their supplied information but I can say that 90% of the time it makes my job harder. We are also seeing an increase of people coming in with problems that their vehicles dont have, the customer read online that there is/was a common problem on their car somewhere else in the world and now they want their vehicle looked ASAP to make sure that the specified component is not failing. Sometimes we're lucky and the customer will tell us outright that he read about this online and that we might not find a problem, but most customers don't say a word and then I find myself chasing a ghost, a problem that this vehicle doesn't have. At the end of the day, I lose my shirt, I dont get payed to chase ghosts, the dealership doesn't get payed for my warranty diagnosing time, and the customer may or may not be happy depending on the outcome.

A small bit of information I will give out is that with the electronics in vehicles now days, GM can offer several different module set up files to meet the needs of the fellow cold Canadian fluctuating weather customer or the customer who drives his car everyday in hot Arizona summer weather. One small re flash and the condition can be corrected. The Arizona Camaro owner may not have the same HVAC file loaded into the module then the cold winter driving Camaro customer, this is just an example, but you get the point.

Now this may seem like a rant, but it is not... We get just as many good/great/fantastic customers as we do bad ones, that life... not all customer are like the ones im describing above, if you think you are one of them, I apologize and didn't mean to offend you in any way. I dont know of or have stats to back up any of this up, I'm not going to look for stats to back this up, this is just a generic post. I'm just trying to explain that sometimes the information provided in a thread is not use full at all, sometimes it is. I want the OP to understand and know what his dealership is telling him, I dont want him going to the dealer with a shit ton of useless information between his ears. That way he can back on the road and ready to go. And that is why, I dont beat around the bush, and that I'm straight to the point.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.

Last edited by DJ_BigC; 11-24-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Spelling lol!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #24
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Hopefully this gets resolved very soon. If not, most states are 3 or 4 times for the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, so make sure the work orders reflect that. Nobody wants to go that route but it happens.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #25
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
I never said anything bad regarding the issue you posted with you 11, 2SS Camaro, I never said anything bad about you personally, I was straight to the point, told you what code you most likely had set when your vehicle faulted, and said it was 100% not related to his problem.

The reason I stated for the OP not to listen is because I see TONS and I mean TONS of people come into the dealer with self diagnosed vehicles, the vehicles come in and the customer thinks they narrowed down the possible causes using eBay, YouTube, Forums and Google, when in reality it is not the problem with their vehicle. When we give them the vehicle back, they think we didn't fix a single thing because what we repaired and what they thought was the problem is two different things.

Now I am not saying there is anything wrong with using the internet to find, diagnose and narrow down the possible causes to a problem your having with your vehicle, but what people tend to forget is that vehicles now days are much more complex, and just because John Doe in Florida has an ABS light on and is having problems with his car, doesn't mean that Jane Doe with an ABS light on in Ontario has the problem with her,s but since its the same trouble light thats on, people instantly think it has to be the same problem, no matter what.

Way back when you could get away with that because the ABS light would come on for 1 of 5 reasons, the engine light would come on for 1 of 20 reasons and if you looked online and talked to the right people, you had a pretty good chance of finding the problem quickly. But now days, with the Global A platform that GM is using in pretty much all of their new cars, the engine light can come on for 1 of 2000 reasons... and thats just one module/concern.

We are seeing a growing amount of people coming in to the service department with self diagnosed issues, some of which are valid, most of which are not. After they describe the problem, if their even is one with their vehicle, this famous sentence always follows: "I read online that there was a lot of people having problems with"...... And then the customer supplies a folder with tons of internet documents that they found regarding an SES light issue with a Camaro. Sometimes I have found the information provided to be beneficial to my diagnosing and have found the problem using their supplied information but I can say that 90% of the time it makes my job harder. We are also seeing an increase of people coming in with problems that their vehicles dont have, the customer read online that there is/was a common problem on their car somewhere else in the world and now they want their vehicle looked ASAP to make sure that the specified component is not failing. Sometimes we're lucky and the customer will tell us outright that he read about this online and that we might not find a problem, but most customers don't say a word and then I find myself chasing a ghost, a problem that this vehicle doesn't have. At the end of the day, I lose my shirt, I dont get payed to chase ghosts, the dealership doesn't get payed for my warranty diagnosing time, and the customer may or may not be happy depending on the outcome.

A small bit of information I will give out is that with the electronics in vehicles now days, GM can offer several different module set up files to meet the needs of the fellow cold Canadian fluctuating weather customer or the customer who drives his car everyday in hot Arizona summer weather. One small re flash and the condition can be corrected. The Arizona Camaro owner may not have the same HVAC file loaded into the module then the cold winter driving Camaro customer, this is just an example, but you get the point.

Now this may seem like a rant, but it is not... We get just as many good/great/fantastic customers as we do bad ones, that life... not all customer are like the ones im describing above, if you think you are one of them, I apologize and didn't mean to offend you in any way. I dont know of or have stats to back up any of this up, I'm not going to look for stats to back this up, this is just a generic post. I'm just trying to explain that sometimes the information provided in a thread is not use full at all, sometimes it is. I want the OP to understand and know what his dealership is telling him, I dont want him going to the dealer with a shit ton of useless information between his ears. That way he can back on the road and ready to go. And that is why, I dont beat around the bush, and that I'm straight to the point.
Ha, no kidding, people showing up with folders of internet information. My cousin is a physician and has the same problem with patients. She had to tell one guy he needed to go see an internet doctor as she had different diagnosis than the other 3000 on the web he was citing ha.

And all those drug commercials set people off, every time I have an itch now I think I got shingles.

Congrats on the great work, keep it up, you guys are golden.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #26
SE6OV1A

Drives: 2017 2SS
Boy... that escalated quickly.

Thanks guys for all of your responses, I called GM Customer Service on Friday and opened a case with them. The rep was shocked and appalled at all I've been through and vowed to have everything resolved to my satisfaction. She said she would forward the case to the GM CS rep at the dealer. Today I received a call from a GM rep at the adjacent Buick/GMC dealer who stated he believed he received my file by mistake and would forward it to my Chevy dealer. He also said, off the record, if I was unhappy with my dealer's performance that the Buick/GMC dealer would be happy to take over my claim as they've inherited a lot of customer complaints from the Chevy dealer and have no problem sorting everything out.

I'm going to wait and see what the Chevy dealer does or tells me before my next move. Its nice to know I've got GM Corporate and another dealer in my corner.

If worse does come to worse California does have a Lemon Law and I've saved all 4 of my visit reports which have all been for this same issue.
SE6OV1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #27
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Sounds like your on the right track! Keep us posted.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
SE6OV1A

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Sounds like your on the right track! Keep us posted.
Thanks, will do
MODS: Magnuson TVS2650, LT4 injectors & HPFP, SMG Aux Pump, DSX FlexFuel Kit, Katech 103mm TB, RotoFab Big Gulp w/ aFe Pro Dry S filter, Speed Engineering Headers & Xpipe, Stainless Works mufflers, MSD Wires w/ DEI Sleeves sitting on HRE FlowForms. Built and Tuned by New Era Performance.
SE6OV1A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, c0242, issues, p1682, problems