Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
3" ARH to 2.5" Borla S Type

This was brought up in another thread, so I figured I would move it here. I am about to buy American Racing LT's. The collectors are 3" and its 3" from there to the xpipe and back to the axle back/muffler. The axle back I am going to buy is the Borla S type but it is 2.5" piping. Online the ARH set up said its 3" all the way back and then connects with the 2.5" stock exhaust, but in my case will be the 2.5" aftermarket exhaust. Question I have is if this will decrease the amount of power I will get out of it and if it is restricting the exhaust by going from 3" to 2.5". I'm pretty sure I could order the axle back in 3" if necessary.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
All 3" systems neck down to 2.5" at the connection point. If they didn't they wouldn't be able to bolt up to the factory system. Stainless Works and ARH has full systems that are 3" all the way back but those are complete systems.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
The ARH system does stop around the Axle back....actually I think you still have to use a little bit of your factory system since it doesn't go actually to the axle back but real close. If I remember correctly there is still about 4" or so that you'll need to connect up the two.

Unless you have a big motor or a bunch of boost from a supercharger you're not going to see any HP gain/loss by having the 2.5" in the mix. There are several 600 rwhp Camaros that have cat-backs that start off as 2.5". Most of the cat-backs for these cars do.

You have several options. First off, you can buy just the ARH headers without thier x-pipe. Then you could use either your factory cat-back with a Borla axle-back added to it. You could also just use the ARH headers and do a full cat-back from any of the Mfgs (Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc.).

I think some of the confusion with ARH and having to use their x-pipe is the fact that they don't list just thier headers and cats as an option on their site. I think you have to contact them to ge that pricing.

There are very few systems for our Camaros that are true 3" all the way through. Off the top of my head I can only think of KOOKS and LG. All the other cat-backs start off as 2.5" so that they can connect up to the factory mid-pipes (cats).
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
A.R. Headers

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Frid, My son and his teamate's Gen 5 produces almost 1100 flywheel HP through ARH 2-1/2" mufflers. There will be no loss in power I assure you. We downsize the system to maintain temperature in the system and assist scavenging. Hope that helps.

Nick

100% USA MADE
A.R. Headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
The ARH system does stop around the Axle back....actually I think you still have to use a little bit of your factory system since it doesn't go actually to the axle back but real close. If I remember correctly there is still about 4" or so that you'll need to connect up the two.

Unless you have a big motor or a bunch of boost from a supercharger you're not going to see any HP gain/loss by having the 2.5" in the mix. There are several 600 rwhp Camaros that have cat-backs that start off as 2.5". Most of the cat-backs for these cars do.

You have several options. First off, you can buy just the ARH headers without thier x-pipe. Then you could use either your factory cat-back with a Borla axle-back added to it. You could also just use the ARH headers and do a full cat-back from any of the Mfgs (Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc.).

I think some of the confusion with ARH and having to use their x-pipe is the fact that they don't list just thier headers and cats as an option on their site. I think you have to contact them to ge that pricing.

There are very few systems for our Camaros that are true 3" all the way through. Off the top of my head I can only think of KOOKS and LG. All the other cat-backs start off as 2.5" so that they can connect up to the factory mid-pipes (cats).
It's on their site. Thanks for the input also. I find it more cost effective to buy it with this set up. Borla charges alot for their catback with xpipe. Plus it sounds amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R. Headers View Post
Frid, My son and his teamate's Gen 5 produces almost 1100 flywheel HP through ARH 2-1/2" mufflers. There will be no loss in power I assure you. We downsize the system to maintain temperature in the system and assist scavenging. Hope that helps.

Nick
Helps perfectly. I am going to purchase this setup when I get my income tax for the year: 1 7/8" Primaries With 3" Merge Collectors, 3" X-Pipe To Rear Axle (With Cats) CA201078W/C
I'm assuming these are LT's right?

Won't be able to wait to get back home and bolt it up.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
A.R. Headers

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Frid, Yes they are long tubes. Get back home safe.

Nick

100% USA MADE
A.R. Headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Lou@ARH

Drives: IRS RECORD HOLDING 5thGEN 7.67 @179
ARH/ Farks Supers cars 2010 Camaro, Full American Racing Headers exhaust reduced to 2-1/2" after the rear axle. Take a listen and let us know what you think.

Repost so Everyone can have a listen!!

Lou@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou@ARH View Post
ARH/ Farks Supers cars 2010 Camaro, Full American Racing Headers exhaust reduced to 2-1/2" after the rear axle. Take a listen and let us know what you think.

Repost so Everyone can have a listen!!

BAD ASS!
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote