Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-13-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
EVAP Mot ready - emissions

Anyone have this issue? I’ve tried the GM drive cycle to no avail. I am in Phoenix and am wondering if it’s simply to hot for the tests to kick on.

I can’t pass emissions because my EVAP system is “not ready”. I didn’t fail, the system just is in a not ready position due to recently removing battery after removing my air lift suspension and going with Bilstein B16 setup.

2010 LS3 40k miles

I’ve driven nearly 500 miles trying to get this in not ready. Will with tank between 1/4 and 3/4 as it says. I’ve done the GM specific drive cycle a dozen times now or more and can’t get this thing to move to “ready”.

Any tips from anyone who’s been here? I’m at a loss. Arizona requires emissions to get registered and I’m out here with expired tabs trying to get this ready so I can get emissions and get it licensed - a vicious cycle.

Thanks in advance for any insights or assistance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:59 AM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Looks like you have a lot of modifications and a tune... your tuner could fix that problem really quickly for you and you can show a ready state

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Looks like you have a lot of modifications and a tune... your tuner could fix that problem really quickly for you and you can show a ready state

Unfortunately I’ve move out of state from where it was tuned.

I had to pass emissions in Washington as well, and never had this issue. But work was done and battery was disconnected recently then had to get emissions.

I don’t think he can remote tune or anything like that so not sure what to do at this point

Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
Old 08-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
They make you pass all readiness codes? When I was in the Peoples Republic of New York I had the same issue with my Avalanche after a new battery and doing the drive cycles and only had to pass the other 3 besides evap. I've heard that evap can take hundreds of miles to clear.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
They make you pass all readiness codes? When I was in the Peoples Republic of New York I had the same issue with my Avalanche after a new battery and doing the drive cycles and only had to pass the other 3 besides evap. I've heard that evap can take hundreds of miles to clear.

Yeah I can’t have more than one in “not ready”. Still have 02 in not ready as well.

Yeah I don’t know what I need to do for this - it’s maddening. I can’t drive it cause it’s not registered (but I am), can’t register until I get emissions. Can’t get emissions unless I drive it.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #6
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
First thing is double check requirements for your area here is one statement:
2000 and newer model year vehicles will need all emission monitors in READY or COMPLETE status, with the exception of the EVAP monitor. AN incomplete evaporative monitor will not cause a smog check failure. It will be the only monitor allowed to be incomplete on a 2000 & newer vehicle

In my area I believe ONE of the 4? systems not ready will still pass.
I know someone who couldn't get the evap ready after many proper drive cycles and hundreds of miles as you said, and didn't know it would still pass so did a creative adjustment as mentioned above.
There didn't appear to be anything wrong with the car, no codes and no broken parts. It simply wouldn't cycle the evap condition in the computer. Mechanics said replace ecm was their only a guess to try to clear that but not something the owner wanted to do, start throwing money at something that wasn't really broken or polluting.

Edit: OP posted again as I was typing, 2 not ready's. Yeah, needs that adjustment. That requires equipment and paying for something so don't expect it to be done free, or by just anyone.
I'm the type to just drive it with expired tags until I got it fixed, if you're the type to be following every rule, I believe most states will allow you to go into the DMV, pay the registration fees and do all the paperwork, with an incomplete status while you get repairs. Something like a temp registration. They do make an angry face and comments about illegal however when e.g. they have to check the VIN and you drove it there for that without that temp registration, eh whatever.

https://www.emissions.org/loc/washin...sions-testing/
. If a vehicle’s tabs have expired while the vehicle is in the process of completing emissions-related repairs, vehicle owners can obtain temporary tabs until they can get the vehicle to pass an emissions test.

https://ecology.wa.gov/Air-Climate/A...ons-check-ends

After 38 years, Washington’s emission check program ended Jan. 1, 2020. With the end of the program, vehicle owners are no longer required to have their vehicle’s emissions tested before renewing their registration
IDK if they have a different rule for new vehicles to the state?

Last edited by silversleeper; 08-13-2021 at 11:59 AM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #7
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
2000 and newer model year vehicles will need all emission monitors in READY or COMPLETE status, with the exception of the EVAP monitor. AN incomplete evaporative monitor will not cause a smog check failure. It will be the only monitor allowed to be incomplete on a 2000 & newer vehicle

I know someone who couldn't get the evap ready after many proper drive cycles and hundreds of miles as you said, and didn't know it would still pass so did a creative adjustment as mentioned above.
There didn't appear to be anything wrong with the car, no codes and no broken parts. It simply wouldn't cycle the evap condition in the computer. Mechanics said replace ecm was their only a guess to try to clear that but not something the owner wanted to do, start throwing money at something that wasn't really broken or polluting.

Edit: OP posted again as I was typing, 2 not ready's. Yeah, needs that adjustment. That requires equipment and paying for something so don't expect it to be done free, or by just anyone.
I'm the type to just drive it with expired tags until I got it fixed, if you're the type to be following every rule, I believe most states will allow you to go into the DMV, pay the registration fees and do all the paperwork, with an incomplete status while you get repairs. Something like a temp registration. They do make an angry face however when e.g. they have to check the VIN and you drove it there for that without that temp registration, eh whatever.

Equipment? Huh?

No just need to drive this thing more is my guess. I had emissions in previous state and never had evap not ready. Even after my tune and mods. O2 was always an issue but they let one slide.

Evap is not ready since I recently removed my battery and disconnected it. No where in al that I’ve read does it Say I need to replace parts or equipment for this to pass.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #8
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyTen2SSRS View Post
I had to pass emissions in Washington as well, and never had this issue. But work was done and battery was disconnected recently then had to get emissions.
Yeah I always dealt with this with my procharged Monte Carlo that was stored all winter, I tuned all of that stuff out so it shows a ready state and didn't have to worry.

I'd say keep driving it or try to find a new local tuner to see if they can help you

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #9
silversleeper
Big Crow

Quote:
Equipment? Huh?

No just need to drive this thing more is my guess. I had emissions in previous state and never had evap not ready. Even after my tune and mods. O2 was always an issue but they let one slide.

Evap is not ready since I recently removed my battery and disconnected it. No where in al that I’ve read does it Say I need to replace parts or equipment for this to pass.

Quote:

Ok then, point your finger at it and say some magic words, since the people posting, have actually corrected this exact problem, we have no clue what we are talking about. No equipment, no licenses to be paid etc, just point and shout. And I never said anything about replacing parts. Reading comprehension. If you want to break a fedral law don't expect a flock of people telling you in precise details how to do that. It also causes green nuts to make a new law as they are doing, to eliminate any work arounds.

Last edited by silversleeper; 08-13-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:08 PM   #10
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Ok then, point your finger at it and say some magic words, since the people posting, have actually corrected this exact problem, we have no clue what we are talking about. No equipment, no licenses to be paid etc, just point and shout. And I never said anything about replacing parts. Reading comprehension. If you want to break a fedral law don't expect a flock of people telling you in precise details how to do that. It also causes green nuts to make a new law as they are doing, to eliminate any work arounds.

Someone upset?

Thanks for your time and info.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #11
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:

I'm the type to just drive it with expired tags until I got it fixed, if you're the type to be following every rule, I believe most states will allow you to go into the DMV, pay the registration fees and do all the paperwork, with an incomplete status while you get repairs. Something like a temp registration. They do make an angry face and comments about illegal however when e.g. they have to check the VIN and you drove it there for that without that temp registration, eh whatever.

https://www.emissions.org/loc/washin...sions-testing/
. If a vehicle’s tabs have expired while the vehicle is in the process of completing emissions-related repairs, vehicle owners can obtain temporary tabs until they can get the vehicle to pass an emissions test.

https://ecology.wa.gov/Air-Climate/A...ons-check-ends

After 38 years, Washington’s emission check program ended Jan. 1, 2020. With the end of the program, vehicle owners are no longer required to have their vehicle’s emissions tested before renewing their registration
IDK if they have a different rule for new vehicles to the state?

I’m no longer in Washington. Im in Arizona.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #12
silversleeper
Big Crow

Quote:
Someone upset?

Thanks for your time and info.

Spend a few hours on chrisfix channel on youtube and you'll be all set.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #13
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
I had the same issue after a code reset. I did the cycles, drove around for 500+ miles and it never went ready. I had my timer put them in ready status so I could pass. It just may require more miles to be driven unfortunately.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:42 PM   #14
Mouse330

Drives: 2011 2SS, 2006 GMC Sierra
For the EVAP SYSTEM MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE
There are certain Parameter Identification (PID) values that must be within range before this Monitor will "run". The ECT and IAT must be between 36*- 93* F, and within 14* of each other to "enable" at cold start up. The BARO PID over 75 kPa (10.88 psi)
After cold start up accelerate to 45 mph and drive till engine enters closed loop then drive for 3 more minutes. Then check the status of the EVAP monitor
The drive cycle should be done after a cold soak, after sitting for at least 8 hours

Last edited by Mouse330; 08-13-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Mouse330 is offline   Reply With Quote