Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #43
JEBariffic

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crand View Post
my dissertation on tire mounting theory as it relates to quantum teleportation of photons in a vacuum.
Excellent work which I referenced in my paper on tire rotation as it relates to the speed of light in low gravity.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #44
LRJet35

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Also, the correct torque spec is 140 lb-ft for the wheels.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74710
its 110 lb-ft for the 1LE. In the capacities section of the manual
LRJet35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #45
Bauer2

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE and 2009 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
Using a torque stick is not a shortcut... What happens when your torque wrench is out of calibration? If a torque stick doesn't do it's job correctly the lug will end up tighter than looser and the gun will sound and feel different. If the wrench fails you won't know until you find out the lug is loose. Lol. What upsets me is somebody that doesn't know what they are talking about works on jets. Hopefully it's the 747 Obama flies in.

Lol funny guy so I don't know what I'm doing huh. Our torque wrenches are on a calibration cycle smart guy! If they can't be adjusted back into cal they are disposed of. We don't even use torque sticks for the very reason you stated you use it instead of a torque wrench. But keep jumping to those conclusions bud.

Sent from the future!!

Last edited by Bauer2; 10-15-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Bauer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #46
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer2 View Post
Lol funny guy so I don't know what I'm doing huh. Our torque wrenches are on a calibration cycle smart guy! If they can't be adjusted back into cal they are disposed of. We don't even use torque sticks for the very reason you stated you use it instead of a torque wrench. But keep jumping to those conclusions bud.

Sent from the future!!
When you actually have some sense come back. Until then let the adults talk. You sound like you have never used air tools before.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #47
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Has anyone ever though about mounting a bat in their trunk? Too early?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #48
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Has anyone ever though about mounting a bat in their trunk? Too early?
Awesome! (for those in the know!)

Without even knowing either of you but understanding the regulations of both industries..or lack of...

Aircraft mechanic > Automotive mechanic all day.

Aircraft mechanics have to play by all of the rules...
Old 10-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #49
Bauer2

You do know resorting to insults takes any credibility you away from your argument. Just because you were called out for doing things the wrong way doesn't mean you have to throw a temper tantrum and start insulting people. Be an adult and own your mistake sorry if your butt hurt but hey the truth hurts right.

Sent from the future!!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #50
Crand

Drives: away the ladies :(
Send a message via AIM to Crand
Back to the original subject of this thread, I stopped by Discount Tire today and talked to the manager. They're going to schedule a touch-up company to come out and fix the damage they caused.
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #51
Bauer2

Hope they do a good job on the repair.

Sent from the future!!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #52
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
A question to the OP. Was the only damage due to scraping the old weights off? Were they able to mount the new tires without damage to the rims? I ask because I will be getting a second set of tires to mount up to rims I already have and discount tire's price was the same as Tire Rack without having to pay shipping. I question if it's worth the savings seeing as they will also be mounting the tires vs having some other shop do the work.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #53
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
I know a bunch of sh*t shop mechanvis my mom has work on her beater. Does that mean I would take my 1LE to this shop? Hell no. I'm going to be paying the extra to take it to Chevy where it will be properly taken care of. If you don't care about the condition of your rims why not buy some old steelies? With hubcaps.

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #54
Vjc834

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
It doesn't matter what kind of car it is. Why is scratching the wheels acceptable? And if Chevrolet says to torque the lug nuts to 110lbs. why is it okay to run an impact and chance cracking a wheel. I understand my car isn't a super car but it is my car and I like to take care of it. I don't treat my truck any differently. In fact my truck was $8,000.00 more than my car. If I didn't want to take care of them I would drive two pieces of crap.

Last edited by Vjc834; 10-17-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Vjc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 AM   #55
Crand

Drives: away the ladies :(
Send a message via AIM to Crand
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
Was the only damage due to scraping the old weights off? Were they able to mount the new tires without damage to the rims?
Yes. There was a little bit of what looked like grease on the rims that I thought was damage at first, but it wiped right off. I assume that was some sort of lube to assist in mounting the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
I ask because I will be getting a second set of tires to mount up to rims I already have and discount tire's price was the same as Tire Rack without having to pay shipping. I question if it's worth the savings seeing as they will also be mounting the tires vs having some other shop do the work.
I was originally going to go with Tirerack but Discount's price was cheaper overall, including tax. The fees that I'd pay having the tires mounted from a Tirerack approved vendor (Big-O Tires) was high because they nickel and dime the crap out of you.

If my experience is typical, I'd strongly suggest you remove the weights from your wheels before you have the new tires mounted no matter where you go. I know I'll be doing that with every car I own for the rest of my life.
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #56
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vjc834 View Post
It doesn't matter what kind of car it is. Why is scratching the wheels acceptable? And if Chevrolet says to torque the lug nuts to 110lbs. why is it okay to run an impact and chance cracking a wheel. I understand my car isn't a super car but it is my car and I like to take care of it. I don't treat my truck any differently. In fact my truck was $8,000.00 more than my car. If I didn't want to take care of them I would drive two pieces of crap.
So I'm guessing you don't know what a torque stick is then do you? And if you have cracked a wheel with a impact gun either the wheel was already broken, the wrong style of lug was used and with either one you would be an idiot. Its not careless to use a impact on lug nuts. Some people are just stupid with their precious camaros. Ill never understand why people spend all this money on a car then try and save every little penny where they can then complain when the service they get isn't perfect. If you can only afford to take the car to Midas or jiffy lube or some other craphole that has high school drop outs working at the place you can't really afford the car.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote