Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #29
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by failshift View Post
Like I said. Just because it's 304. Doesn't mean it's quality. Buy something made from Chinese steel. And then one from American. And their will be a noticeable strength/property difference

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LSX376 SLP TVS2300 '13 1LE
Full front half protected by Xpel PPF
Instagram:@Failshift
603hp/547tq
1LE Owners Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/559684050767758/
I've welded process piping in breweries. ...dairies. ..and many other food grade applications with stainless from all overy the world..if 304 or 316 from china is good enough for food grade use..it's just fine for your headers...there is a minimum quality it has to meet. Stainless is used for its anti corrosion properties. This is directed more to the food and beverage industry that has to make sure there is no cleaning agents or acid left in the lines after cleaning. It's primary use isn't for headers.

Last edited by rontammy0; 06-09-2016 at 04:09 PM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #30
Fanch1LE

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE
Why do the Stainless Power fans choose those over Stainless Works? Obviously they don't mind paying way more for a product that's not measurably better. Simple common sense says they went with Stainless Power because they're CHEAPER, no other reason. Do they work just as good? Yes! Without a doubt. So, I'm left wondering still, why do all the high-dollar header guys keep on bashing Speed Engineering?
Fanch1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #31
Bauer2

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE and 2009 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanch1LE View Post
Why do the Stainless Power fans choose those over Stainless Works? Obviously they don't mind paying way more for a product that's not measurably better. Simple common sense says they went with Stainless Power because they're CHEAPER, no other reason. Do they work just as good? Yes! Without a doubt. So, I'm left wondering still, why do all the high-dollar header guys keep on bashing Speed Engineering?
The only reason I could imagine is it makes them feel better about their purchase! In reality, it makes no difference buy what you're comfortable buying and screw everyone else. If you have nothing to contribute to the actual question being posed then for the love of all that's holy leave your comment to yourself it does nothing to advance the conversation other than confrontation and if that's your intent anyway then you should probably be somewhere else just my thoughts.

I was going to go with TSP but they didn't have the 1 7/8" in stock and it was going to be about a month before they got any in and my time frame didn't work with that so I decided to go the Speed Engineering. I can tell you I'm completely satisfied with the fit and quality. The welds looked good and they sound great. At the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong with either so get what your comfortable with and enjoy.
Bauer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:58 PM   #32
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Stainless Power used to be in the $750 range with cats, and Mid $500 range without. Someone looking at $300 or $400 cheap headers would find the money to get them, especially if they wanted cats at a good price (most cheap headers are off road).

Stainless works jacked up the price on them, and then really started enforcing minimum advertised pricing and it slowed sales. The catted ones are over $900 now...which is too close to the high end headers. We used to sell a set every few days. Now we sell a set or two a month.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:21 PM   #33
Bauer2

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE and 2009 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Stainless Power used to be in the $750 range with cats, and Mid $500 range without. Someone looking at $300 or $400 cheap headers would find the money to get them, especially if they wanted cats at a good price (most cheap headers are off road).

Stainless works jacked up the price on them, and then really started enforcing minimum advertised pricing and it slowed sales. The catted ones are over $900 now...which is too close to the high end headers. We used to sell a set every few days. Now we sell a set or two a month.
Good point adding actual cats adds another $250 or so to the price of both the TSP and Speed Engineering but even then they are still priced very at very reasonable prices $500-600ish if I remember right.

Hell like most I'm sure if I could have afforded the Kooks or LG or something I would have but at the end of the day I have to answer to the boss and if she says no my life is much easier if I listen lol.
Bauer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #34
yadi8888

Drives: 2011 camaro ss ls3
thanks guys for the help

i ordered my long tube headers speed engineering 1 7/8" with shipping $370
yadi8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #35
MediumLabowski

Drives: '16 FiST
Do the speed engineering lth's come with the 02 bungs welded on?
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #36
failshift
Banned

All $100 off stainless power headers by rebate from SW (could also be stainless works headers I don't remember) so you can get a much better product for $650
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #37
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumLabowski View Post
Do the speed engineering lth's come with the 02 bungs welded on?
I just installed 1 7/8 speed engineering headers on my 15 1LE and they came with O2 bungs welded on with a plug included. You will need O2 extensions

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #38
MediumLabowski

Drives: '16 FiST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
I just installed 1 7/8 speed engineering headers on my 15 1LE and they came with O2 bungs welded on with a plug included. You will need O2 extensions

Thank you.
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #39
ohyeahjay

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1
bought stainless engineering a month ago and had zero issues installing and everything is good so far. I reviewed every thread I could find and held off on the purchase of headers last year because I wanted to make the best decision possible. I have a life outside of cars so i need to make every dollar well spent when I invest in my car. To me it was about price, for others its quality, fitment or brand. As far as where they are built means little, I work for a global company, I've seen crap products from everywhere in the world, expensive and cheap products.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #40
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by failshift View Post
Bout the only thing I'd use them for.

I don't understand why people
Buy nice cars. And then go to google and type in "cheapest ****** car parts available"

Quality, makes a difference

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LSX376 SLP TVS2300 '13 1LE
Full front half protected by Xpel PPF
Instagram:@Failshift
603hp/547tq
1LE Owners Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/559684050767758/

There is something about headers that makes normal people turn into thrift store shoppers. I see people's signature all the time. Corsa Catback, Cold Air Inductions intake, $250 headers. I hate to break it to you, but you can put a $50 ebay intake on your car and it will run about the same a $400 intake. You can do $100 muffler delete, and the car will sound aggressive.

You can spend your money however you want, but acting like Jr. is gonna have to work through college, while you have $1000 in appearance stuff, and a $1000 catback is silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
Got these Speed Engineering headers for $271 plus shipping from eBay.
Fit perfectly, very well constructed. I think they are a Kooks knock off design ?
Decided on using the GESI Green Hi-Flows too. Turns out they are made 5 miles from my house. Stopped by and bought them for $300 each cash.
Couldn't be happier, sound/power is amazing !!

I know all the other header manufacturers make very nice products but the cost (have the CDN US exchange rate too) was a consideration.

Cost of Kooks for example:
$1203.40 - headers
$1108.06 - Green Cats
Total $2311.46 (US $$) plus taxes and shipping to Canada.

In Canadian $$ that converts to $2950, without the shipping and taxes

I think you can see where I'm going with this. Like I said, Kooks, Stainless Works etc are all great products. I just can justify that kind of money for some hollow steel pipes.
Another funny thing...

When people want to buy cheap, they always compare the most expensive product at full retail to the cheapest product at the cheapest price they can find.

For instance, that is about the most expensive Kooks package you put together with the special green cats, and you are listing basically full retail price. And then if you just do basic shopping you can find them for about $600 less without really negotiating. And if you call around even more.

Want Kooks with cats, or Kooks with no cats? Now you are talking less than half the money you posted.

Then you are saying instead you may have to buy a set of headers that are $279 on sale and have no cats at all? I guess I am just saying is it looks like people inflate the price of nice stuff to justify buying cheap stuff.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #41
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
I had a purpose behind buying cheap headers. I love the way my stock exhaust sounds, so I figured if I buy headers and don't like the way they sound I will just go back stock. Figured if I buy cheap headers and take even a 50% hit I'm still only out $100 as opposed to taking a $450-$500 hit. Then if I like the sound I will sell the cheap ones and buy better ones.

Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #42
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
[QUOTE=MarylandSpeed;9211044]

For instance, that is about the most expensive Kooks package you put together with the special green cats, and you are listing basically full retail price. And then if you just do basic shopping you can find them for about $600 less without really negotiating. And if you call around even more.

QUOTE]

I didn't make those prices up, they are right off their website.
You need to remember that with the exchange rate of our dollar and the unreal shipping costs to get parts here in Canada, it makes a big difference for some people.
I did buy those exact "Green Hi-Flows". Goes to show the massive mark up on some parts. I paid $300 each CDN$$, website is over $1100 US $$ plus shipping. Unfortunately, even if I had "shopped" it around some more and managed to knock off $600 I would have still spent more than twice as much.
Don't get me wrong, I understand and respect your position/loyalty to the brands you sell, I wouldn't expect anything less.

Since installing my headers and cats (cam too) I have driven several thousand miles. Zero issues so far, only re-torqued once after the first week. Been really enjoying the new sound and power. If an issue ever comes up, I will be the first to say and then place an order with you

Thanks for your insight