Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT
Coilovers and lowering springs

I Wanted to lower my camaro but what Im trying to figure out is if I should get a coilover package or just some sway bars and lowering springs?

I dont take mine to the track, but I want to improve the suspension, dropping it to the ground a little too. Is there any difference between Coilovers and Springs? I need some help
FosterSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
grundere1

Drives: 2013 Ford Explorer Sport Twin Turbo
springs shrink the spring rate and distances that they have to coil/uncoil and with just spring you will have a stiffer ride, coilovers maintain that same spring rate/distance even if you lower it all the way down

for a more like stock ride and the lowered stance coilovers are the best but if you dont mind a firmer ride spring are a much cheaper way to lower your car, and i would say sways no matter which one you chose

im sure someone with more knowledge will chime in and give you more info but his is what i have found through my research, and i decided to wait and get coilovers
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
When a car is lowered with lowering coils, the amount of travel between the top of the strut and the bumpstop is reduced. You can read suspension travel as ride quality. All lowering coil manufactures use coil design and spring rate to compensate for lost 'jounce' travel. Some drop coil sets instruct you to cut the bumpstops to create a bit more travel. Our drop coil Camaro clients are very pleased with the ride quality of our drop coils. I would hope they would be as we spend a lot of time getting the right balance between drop and ride quality.

Our coilovers are designed to maintain suspension travel, jounce travel regardless of ride height. We accomplish this with separate spring perch and ride height adjustment. In addition to suspension travel all our coilovers have adjustable damping. Between suspension travel and damping adjustment the ride quality is excellent.

Yu choice will depend on your expectations, use and driving style. The more miles you drive, the more aggressively you drive the more you will appreciate the benefits of coilovers. Ride height, suspension travel and damper maps are all elements of 5th Gen Suspension. We find that the lowest hanging fruit on a 5th Gen is not found in coils or coilovers, but rather in the sub-frame and radius bushes. To learn more about your 5th Gen suspension I suggest you set aside a bit of time and read THE Book on 5th Gen Suspension available here on C5. With a good understanding of the how and why you'll be able to make an informed decision on where you'll spend you hard earned mod money first.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundere1 View Post
springs shrink the spring rate and distances that they have to coil/uncoil and with just spring you will have a stiffer ride, coilovers maintain that same spring rate/distance even if you lower it all the way down

for a more like stock ride and the lowered stance coilovers are the best but if you dont mind a firmer ride spring are a much cheaper way to lower your car, and i would say sways no matter which one you chose

im sure someone with more knowledge will chime in and give you more info but his is what i have found through my research, and i decided to wait and get coilovers
You are doing great I should go back to my 'real' job.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
When a car is lowered with lowering coils, the amount of travel between the top of the strut and the bumpstop is reduced. You can read suspension travel as ride quality. All lowering coil manufactures use coil design and spring rate to compensate for lost 'jounce' travel. Some drop coil sets instruct you to cut the bumpstops to create a bit more travel. Our drop coil Camaro clients are very pleased with the ride quality of our drop coils. I would hope they would be as we spend a lot of time getting the right balance between drop and ride quality.

Our coilovers are designed to maintain suspension travel, jounce travel regardless of ride height. We accomplish this with separate spring perch and ride height adjustment. In addition to suspension travel all our coilovers have adjustable damping. Between suspension travel and damping adjustment the ride quality is excellent.

Yu choice will depend on your expectations, use and driving style. The more miles you drive, the more aggressively you drive the more you will appreciate the benefits of coilovers. Ride height, suspension travel and damper maps are all elements of 5th Gen Suspension. We find that the lowest hanging fruit on a 5th Gen is not found in coils or coilovers, but rather in the sub-frame and radius bushes. To learn more about your 5th Gen suspension I suggest you set aside a bit of time and read THE Book on 5th Gen Suspension available here on C5. With a good understanding of the how and why you'll be able to make an informed decision on where you'll spend you hard earned mod money first.
Cool thanks, Ill check out the Book! But just to clarify, you can still get the ride height lowered with adjustable coilovers, just as you would be able to with lowering springs?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterSS View Post
Cool thanks, Ill check out the Book! But just to clarify, you can still get the ride height lowered with adjustable coilovers, just as you would be able to with lowering springs?
You can drop it down almost 3" with our coilovers.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Quote:
Xa Adjustable coilovers here I come!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Coilovers FTW!
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Check out their packages too!!! Wait, did that come out right?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
JusticePete

Quote:
Operators are standing by. Feel free to give me a call anytime. We have live chat on our website too.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Coilovers are a great way to improve the handling of your car. The great thing about them is that you aren't limited by the OEM shock constraints any longer. Our drop springs are built the way they are to maintain the longevity of your stock shocks, with specific spring rates selected because they aren't so hard as to compromise the stock shocks, and not so soft as they allow for too much drop. From an engineering standpoint when you make the move to coilovers you can build your damping to accommodate whats best for the car, and not what's best for a specific piece of the car.

Our coilovers are built specifically for the Camaro and offer you a wide range of damping and ride height adjustability. With our Street coilovers you can move seamlessly from drag strip, street use, and autox or road course with just a twist of the damper adjusters. The spring rates we chose for the Camaro coilover package are slightly higher than stock, but most of your ride quality with the Camaro is a function of your shock damping, and with the range of adjustability built in you will be able to find a setting that not only performs better but is more comfortable to drive on the street.

The main advantage to running coilovers is the flexibility they provide. You can set the stance of the car anywhere from stock to 1.75" lower than stock, as well as make the car Cadillac smooth or race car edgy. The choice is finally yours when you make the move to coilovers. As an added bonus we also have a GMPP version of the coilover available which was installed on the Chevy SSX project car. This means that your friendly local dealership can place an order through the GMPP catalog directly with us and perform your install if you wish.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
Parabolica
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Quote:
Xa Adjustable coilovers here I come

You do understand it doesn't necessarily mean it can be driven like that?
Parabolica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
LOL....yeah at 1.5" lowered I have to watch the curbs extra carefull. I would like to put a chin spoiler on my car but at this low I think the car would be in the paint shop repainting my bumper ever 6 months.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
Of course it can! Just not over speed bumps