Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
What is Data Logging?

I have learned alot since I have had my car, and I will always be learning. The data logging thing is something that I would like to understand. I guess it is kind of a way to fine tune a tune? Not that I need to do any logging, but maybe someday I will, as I continue modding the car. Data Logging basics is where I need to start. Just what is it? When is it necessary? Is it hard to do? I have read where some people have problems doing it, getting things to work. I am no computer wiz. I don't have one of those new phones that can do everything. I have an SCT X3, can I do it just for fun? Is a lap top required? These are just some basic questions that come to mind. Also I have searched this subject, and I cannot find the basics. Thanks in advanced for any info.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
bill@hptuners

Drives: grand prix
Datalogging is basically capturing data that the pcm is spitting out, things like RPM, MPH, Throttle position, spark advance, etc. It can be used for tuning or general troubleshooting.
bill@hptuners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
This worked for me!

Search for: JRE SCT CUSTOM TUNE INSTRUCTIONS

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Tampa Orlando Dyno Tuning Camaro Corvette CTS-v GTO GM Trucks performance tuning

I have about 20-25 differant scanner set up's dependant on the type of vehicle and the modifications level.
HP Tuners is amazing
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroost View Post
This worked for me!

Search for: JRE SCT CUSTOM TUNE INSTRUCTIONS
If you can ever get the SCT to data log, Got mine to work 1 time, now it says it cant get the data..
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
If you can ever get the SCT to data log, Got mine to work 1 time, now it says it cant get the data..
Seems like its hit or miss with some guys. It's def finicky, that's for sure. I've logged somewhere around 200 1/4 passes but have also had the f'in thing freeze up or give and unable to get date message a few times. Mostly when I let it sit to long, open, but not using it. I've found you need to close it and reopen if you plan on resting it a while. OP, a gd laptop is a must.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Seems like its hit or miss with some guys. It's def finicky, that's for sure. I've logged somewhere around 200 1/4 passes but have also had the f'in thing freeze up or give and unable to get date message a few times. Mostly when I let it sit to long, open, but not using it. I've found you need to close it and reopen if you plan on resting it a while. OP, a gd laptop is a must.
OK, so a laptop is required. Did not know that. Thanks. Im picturing in my head, you guys having a laptop in the passenger seat, your SCT device plugged in under the dash and connected to your laptop. And screaming down the track. I guess I will not be data logging just for fun. I need a data logging for dummies thread.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
OK, so a laptop is required. Did not know that. Thanks. Im picturing in my head, you guys having a laptop in the passenger seat, your SCT device plugged in under the dash and connected to your laptop. And screaming down the track. I guess I will not be data logging just for fun. I need a data logging for dummies thread.
i might be wrong. but i think you can data log with the device, then later at home pull the results off the device (SCT). so you do not need the laptop in the car. if that makes sense
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i might be wrong. but i think you can data log with the device, then later at home pull the results off the device (SCT). so you do not need the laptop in the car. if that makes sense
You are correct. Hey OP, you can get a Data Logging tool from Advance auto. I only payed like $150 for mine but its the one with all the bells and whistles.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
Yes that makes sense. I should be able to do that, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk-Ice View Post
You are correct. Hey OP, you can get a Data Logging tool from Advance auto. I only payed like $150 for mine but its the one with all the bells and whistles.
OK cool, that's something else I can look into. Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
For anyone who may have trouble logging contact SCT TECH they have new software and firmware to make it easier and address the random communication problems.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote