Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #29
dermo1989
BAQNBLK

Drives: 2010 SS/RS BLACK W/INFERNO PKG
Purity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
While I think the OP's motives are off a bit, this kind of raffle is not unheardof. The National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green does this several times a year for charity and to raise money for their museum. The only difference is that the raffle tickets are usually around $100 a pop and they usually sell between 5000 tickets in order to win a chance to get a new Corvette (model type varies). Doing the math, they typically raise $500,000 and it costs them a fraction of that and it's for a good cause. Unfortunately, I do not have a new Corvette sitting in my garage as the winner of one of these raffles.

If the OP's intention's were more pure, or if he was actually a non-profit charity, it might be a good opportunity for all the reasons he posts. Unfortunately, it seems as though he just wants a ZL1 (or most of one since $55,000 won't cover it).
What is more pure than wanting a ZL1? I already own a 2SS, so realistically a ZL1 is not that far out of the picture. Why does one have to be a non-profit to be the benefactor of such a request? Does one feel better donating to a charity or just giving some spare change to a homeless person? It really doesn't matter to me, I feel good either way just helping out. The intention was only to gauge how much interest there would be from our "family" and to see how generous our group could actually be. I know a dollar would not "break" any body no matter how rich or poor you are. I'm sure most of us have more than that floating around in a cup holder in our cars. I was just inquiring to see if anything like this has ever been pulled off. We had a gentleman go into a local retail store this year and pay off everyone's lay-away for Christmas and i thought that was one hell of a story!! Paying it forward. And I did volunteer to donate my car as well. I know for me personally, if I had read something like this, I would donate a buck no problem just to say I participated in something special. I am not trying to come across as greedy or anything, just thought hey why not put it out there?
Trust me, I'm grateful to even own such an amazing ride!!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dermo1989 View Post
What is more pure than wanting a ZL1? I already own a 2SS, so realistically a ZL1 is not that far out of the picture. Why does one have to be a non-profit to be the benefactor of such a request? Does one feel better donating to a charity or just giving some spare change to a homeless person? It really doesn't matter to me, I feel good either way just helping out. The intention was only to gauge how much interest there would be from our "family" and to see how generous our group could actually be. I know a dollar would not "break" any body no matter how rich or poor you are. I'm sure most of us have more than that floating around in a cup holder in our cars. I was just inquiring to see if anything like this has ever been pulled off. We had a gentleman go into a local retail store this year and pay off everyone's lay-away for Christmas and i thought that was one hell of a story!! Paying it forward. And I did volunteer to donate my car as well. I know for me personally, if I had read something like this, I would donate a buck no problem just to say I participated in something special. I am not trying to come across as greedy or anything, just thought hey why not put it out there?
Trust me, I'm grateful to even own such an amazing ride!!
You're right, a donation of any size to a charity or a homeless person would be great. I just don't think a person that can afford a 2SS should be considered for a donation. I think it's great that you offered to donate your 2SS to someone (assuming it's paid off). I realize that it may be worth asking (you don't get what you don't ask for right?), but it certainly can (and does) come off as somewhat greedy, even if it was just a joke. Everyone on this board would probably want a ZL1 if 55,000 people were going to offer them a dollar each, but by my calculations that equals $55,000 in donations if everyone asks the same thing you did. Then we all might as well buy our own ZL1 since we are just going to end up donating that much money all around.

I do wish you good luck in your endeavor to get a ZL1!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #31
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
OK...so start a charitable raffle.... Tickets are $5/ea. $5 won't break anybody and I suspect several people would buy more than one chance. Set the bar at $100,000 before we can purchase and draw for the car. Anything less than that at the close of the raffle time gets given to the charity and no car is awarded. We choose a charity to receive the proceeds above and beyond the cost of the car if we reach $100K. The drawing is held at the Camaro5 Fest....winner does NOT have to be present. The car will be purchased from a C5 sponsor chosen in another random drawing in order to maintain fairness to the dealers/sales people represented here.

Who wants to start it? (Obviously it will have to be a reputable business or non-profit to host the raffle.)
Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #32
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
RAFFLE A GOOD IDEA...

I think maybe there should be 3 levels of prizes if it is done.

1: $40,000
2: $10,000
3: $ 5,000

A person who wants a ZL1 could be 40k towards it, or use it buy a nice SS!
The $10K would almost allow someone to upgrade from an SS to a ZL1!
The $5K would certainly help many pay for accessories etc.
The point being, you would attract people who may not want a ZL1 specifically, and thusly MORE people would participate.
I truly believe the LURE of a ZL1 "sounds" better than it really is. The total outlay of my scheme is $55k. But, it would LURE quite a few more players!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #33
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
No worries Dermo, I'll donate $10.00
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote