Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #15
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
My dealer is about 220 miles away and I plan on driving it back. However, I did do a Corvette Museum Delivery on my 99 Vette over a decade ago and it was a great experience. If you have never done a road trip in a brand new, 5 miles on the odometer car, you should do it now. Take a camera and allow extra time for taking pictures along the way back home. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. The memories will last forever.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
if it's a garage queen, have it transported. If you are going to drive and enjoy the hell out of it..why not start at the dealer and drive it home. My option... fly and drive back. It would make a great story and a memorable experience.
hrpiii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #17
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
Fly and drive, you will have half the miles for break in period when you arrive home
Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #18
n116ebo
n116

Drives: 2010 2SS YELLOW TRANSFORMER AUTO
I flew to dealership and drove mine home, was nervous all the way home, figured hit a deer get a rock chip. My brother-in-law lives about 50 miles from where I bought mine and he offered to pick it up for me. Said he would deliver it to me in about 2 weeks and OH! I would probably need a set of tires. I politely declined and went and picked it up myself. It was fun driving back to my hometown.
n116ebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #19
trz174

Drives: Used to Drive Blue Camaros
Thanks to all. I appreciate the ideas and advice. We'll probably fly/drive and enjoy the first 1000 miles on the car at an easy pace. Oil/fluid change when we get back home and all should be good to go. Only issue now is the weather at time of delivery. Not much of concern in Florida but is a potential problem at the dealer up north. I did the same trip with my two sons when we bought the 10 2LT and it was a fantastic memory. Should be the same or better with a ZL1, a full tank of gas and and easy 1000 mile drive back to sunny Florida as the target. Since it's on the way, I wonder if Tail of the Dragon will be safe to drive around the Feb/Mar time frame....
trz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
Thanks to all. I appreciate the ideas and advice. We'll probably fly/drive and enjoy the first 1000 miles on the car at an easy pace. Oil/fluid change when we get back home and all should be good to go. Only issue now is the weather at time of delivery. Not much of concern in Florida but is a potential problem at the dealer up north. I did the same trip with my two sons when we bought the 10 2LT and it was a fantastic memory. Should be the same or better with a ZL1, a full tank of gas and and easy 1000 mile drive back to sunny Florida as the target. Since it's on the way, I wonder if Tail of the Dragon will be safe to drive around the Feb/Mar time frame....
Enjoy the ride back home but I would avoid the Tail of the Dragon until the car was broken in and there was not any ice and snow on the tail. Too many sections stay in the shade all of the time. A great ride in the summer though. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
69 Rebel

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS Auto
Fly and driver her back with your sons... priceless. Why did you order her from a dealer so far away?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100385

Version II
416ci stroker/4L80e
701rwhp 750rwtq
build and tuned by
SPI-Performance
69 Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
F and D fo sho
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #23
trz174

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Enjoy the ride back home but I would avoid the Tail of the Dragon until the car was broken in and there was not any ice and snow on the tail. Too many sections stay in the shade all of the time. A great ride in the summer though. Good luck.
Thanks for the info, I didn't consider the shade at all. Looks like the best path is to stick to the interstate and just enjoy the drive (at varying speeds and under 80 miles per hour of course).
Old 01-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
trz174

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Rebel View Post
Fly and driver her back with your sons... priceless. Why did you order her from a dealer so far away?
The dealer I'm working with is simply the best I'm ever had the pleasure (yes pleasure) of working with.

The dealers in my area are either clueless about the ZL1 or want some mystery price that starts at MSRP and will be decided at some point to their best advantage. I fully understand the free enterprise system and that they can charge whatever they want for their product. What some don't seem to realize is that free enterprise system works both ways and customers who shop around are generally going to find multiple options for the same car.

For example, the closest dealer finally figured out what the ZL1 was and stated that no discounts of any kind apply. Ok, what about USAA? No, no discounts of any kind.

In most cases, they are way behind the learning curve and have treated my inquiries just like they would with any other car. You know that you are in the wrong dealership when ask you ask about a ZL1 Camaro and one of the first questions from the salesman of the moment is "So, how much do you think you can afford a month in payments?".

Even the internet inquiries didn't get a coherent response. The last one I sent in stated specifically what options I wanted. All I got back was a response (and an equally clueless phone call) with the base ZL1 price and what looked like a boiler plate email. The email asked me to give them a list of my desired options.

The scariest part of this whole process is that I will have to use a local dealer if any warranty or TSB-type issues come up. Yup, definitely the scariest part.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #25
bbboomer54

Drives: Loving my ZL1
I'm having to make the same decision. My added concerns regarding driving it back are temperature (with tire constraints) and proper break-in of engine (constant highway speeds). The dealer that I'm working through is about 400 miles away. If the car becomes available in February or March there is still a high probability that temperatures, weather conditions, and road conditions (salt, cinders, etc.) may not be conducive. I'm not fond of the local dealership courtesy option either. I don't trust my local dealer for one thing and I would like the dealer that I'm working with to have an opportunity to see the car. Given that I don't trust my local dealer, I'm hoping that I never have to them service anything.
bbboomer54 is offline   Reply With Quote