Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
GM said this was the "PINNACLE" of Camaro in historic terms. They are marketing as such. What More could a Camaro enthusiast want? This is "IT" in terms of 45 years of history. Thanks GM for making this happen despite what has been the roughest time in the auto industry. 3 Cheers for GM!

If you have one coming you are blessed! If you are building it for us, thank you for your commitment!

Not going to bash anyone specific here, but they stand out like a sore thumb at least!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
upheval
All over the planet

Drives: 2007 C6 M6 Victory Red
Just like the Vette, I am sure I will sit in my garge and drool when I get this car. I will also check out the reflection in the passing windows as I drive to look at the ZL1 as it is rolling. Grin as I go WOT, listening to the whine of the supercharger and then looking for the black marks in the road behind me. The prowless as I drive the car knowing that it is faster then everything else around me. My son (7 years old)asking me to goose the throttle because the likes the sound. The bragging my son will do to his friends about what daddy drives, my x told me about overhearing the conversation with his friend. As in the rest of my garage, owning another badass American auto again. Reading post from other members on this board that already have the car and the enjoyment and stories they tell about the ZL1 as I wait till the end of this year before I get mine. Happy thoughts day dreaming about good times in a badass car!! Thanks again GM.
Full Exhaust Magna Charger Dyno'd Tuned 543RWHP 489RWTQ
2011 2500HD 6.6 4X4 Z71 397HP 767TQ Factory
Waiting on the ZL1
upheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #17
racebum

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Hennessey 700 Ashen Grey
Did Road Racing about 10 years in SCCA and was pretty sucessful. I have read everthing I can put my hands on about the ZL1 and watched all the videos...OH MY GOD, What a car it is gonna be!!! Just to let you know where I'm at, I have a 2010 SS, Hennessey 600. All the suspension has been changed, lowered 1-1/2", all Pfatz bushings, and trailing arms, Brembo 16" rotors, 6 piston on the front and 4 piston on the rear (racing brakes), Kook long tube headers and Kook 3" stainless exhaust out the back...sexiest car I've ever owned!!! My wife's car is a CTS V Coupe and I drove it quite a bit in the past month or so and what an awesome job GM did with it. With everything GM has done with the ZL1...the brakes, suspension, motor, wheels, tires, all the wind tunnel time getting the lift from under the car, all the track time getting everything perfect. It is gonna be the most fun you have ever had with your clothes on..no doubt in my mind. Always had way too many cars around and I just sold a 2010 ZR1 so that I could make room for a ZL1. Order number QCBQBP, Ashen Grey, all options except the sunroof. OMG can' wait!!! Please GM ship my car NOW!!!
You cry babies need to shut-up because it is gonna be the most awesome car you have ever sat in. I would rather walk down the road with a gas cap off of a Camaro, than I would drive a GT 500 Mustang.
Just my 2 cents worth!!!
Here is my 2010 Hennessey 600 and I'll own it till the very end!
Attached Images

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
htron50

Thats a nice looking car!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
that is a great looking car
Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #20
racebum

I think it's a great car, but that's not the point I was trying to make. I just wanted you to see what I have and how excited I am about getting the ZL1. I think it will be better than what I have spend the last 2-1/2 years working on. I want it NOW!!! SHIP IT GM!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
tpower
DBLCHBY III

racebum I want to do some track days with my ZL1, any tips from a scca vet, I went to mid ohio last year with my SS first time ever on a road course and I am liking it
Old 01-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Sorry to those quotes caught in the cross-fire, but there was a clean-up in order...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
GM said this was the "PINNACLE" of Camaro in historic terms. They are marketing as such. What More could a Camaro enthusiast want? This is "IT" in terms of 45 years of history. Thanks GM for making this happen despite what has been the roughest time in the auto industry. 3 Cheers for GM!

If you have one coming you are blessed! If you are building it for us, thank you for your commitment!

Not going to bash anyone specific here, but they stand out like a sore thumb at least!
Only positive comments are allowed in this thread Report otherwise

Considering the time, effort, and money and blood-sweat-and-tears that went into ZL1 AND CAMARO in general, I want to take some time and say "Thank You", like most of the rest of you, to those who are making my dream car come through. While it wouldn't be a complete stretch to say this car will fulfill one of my life-long goals and dreams (obviously - family, home, etc. are first ) will come true with ZL1, I will say that it sits near the top of my Bucket List. While there's no arguing that there are faster, better performing cars out there, CAMARO ZL1 is going to be the perfect car, to me. There's enough engineering and development that it is the perfect car to start with, and leaves just enough for me to sprinkle a little extra here and there to make it mine. I make no excuses and see no real faults or compromises in this car when I think about the big picture. This is a COMPLETE package, front-to-rear, delivering the highest performance and bang-for-the-buck, which is what I believe CAMARO has been about since '66, when first in showrooms. ZL1 will be the one car I've had, and will ever have (IMO) that I can proudly point to and never have a regret about owning and enjoying. It doesn't have to be the fastest, or even the best, because it's the car that brings a smile to my face everytime I think about it. You can call me crazy, hopeless, rediculous, and even a fanboi; but you can't take that smile off my face.

No one's crapping in this thread, so if there's a post in question, you can report it or you can contact me directly radz282003@yahoo.com

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
racebum

Gotta learn you car and trust your car. Need to be willing to bring it back on a roll-back sometimes to test the limits. I ran GT1/TransAm for 8 years. I won the Southeast Championship 7 years. Won Rookie of the Year in TransAm the one year I didn't run Nationals. Won the Run-offs in 2007. Won the June Sprints. Still hold all the track records in the Southeast. Like I said, you really have to learn the car and trust it. Need to be really smooth, use the entire track...use the rumble strips, going into the corner, center of the corner and all the way on them coming out. Should be excelerating center off and be wide open before you're out of the corner. The best thing you have that will teach you is the active handling.on the ZL1. Use it like it is designed and work your way up to the race mode. When I bought the ZR1 I got a 2 day course at Ron Fellows Driving School. didn't think I would enjoy it, but my wife talked me into going and what a great school!!! They will teach you how use the active handling like it is designed for and it will keep you from doing anything stupid until you learn how to handle the car. You can get a third day (for a charge). I drove 60-70 laps as hard as I have ever driven a race car in a ZR1 and had a ball!!! After watching the videos of the track testing in the ZL1, it will be awesome! Watch the roll and the grip of the car, it is impressive. If you have only driven a stock SS at Mid-Ohio, just wait till you go back in a ZL1. You are in for a treat. I'm all about getting off a 25mph cloverleaf at 80, no brakes, make your initial turn in, roll in the throttle gently, and come out on the interstate at over 100mph. No straight line racing for me. If you really want to get serious about racing, pm me a phone number and we can do some bench racing! Mid-Ohio is an awesome track. Been there, lots of fun!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #24
tpower
DBLCHBY III

I have done some late model stock car racing, I am excited about doing some serious track days to learn the car. Ron Fellows lived on the same street as me in the 80's when I was a kid, and recently he just purchased Mosport International speedway, I have been around it on my motorcycle but it would be mean in a ZL1. I was thinking about doing a driving school
Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
tpower
DBLCHBY III

oh ya I am very fast at bench racing.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #26
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
As far as Camaros, the ZL1 Only gonna get better from here.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #27
htron50

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
Gotta learn you car and trust your car. Need to be willing to bring it back on a roll-back sometimes to test the limits. I ran GT1/TransAm for 8 years. I won the Southeast Championship 7 years. Won Rookie of the Year in TransAm the one year I didn't run Nationals. Won the Run-offs in 2007. Won the June Sprints. Still hold all the track records in the Southeast. Like I said, you really have to learn the car and trust it. Need to be really smooth, use the entire track...use the rumble strips, going into the corner, center of the corner and all the way on them coming out. Should be excelerating center off and be wide open before you're out of the corner. The best thing you have that will teach you is the active handling.on the ZL1. Use it like it is designed and work your way up to the race mode. When I bought the ZR1 I got a 2 day course at Ron Fellows Driving School. didn't think I would enjoy it, but my wife talked me into going and what a great school!!! They will teach you how use the active handling like it is designed for and it will keep you from doing anything stupid until you learn how to handle the car. You can get a third day (for a charge). I drove 60-70 laps as hard as I have ever driven a race car in a ZR1 and had a ball!!! After watching the videos of the track testing in the ZL1, it will be awesome! Watch the roll and the grip of the car, it is impressive. If you have only driven a stock SS at Mid-Ohio, just wait till you go back in a ZL1. You are in for a treat. I'm all about getting off a 25mph cloverleaf at 80, no brakes, make your initial turn in, roll in the throttle gently, and come out on the interstate at over 100mph. No straight line racing for me. If you really want to get serious about racing, pm me a phone number and we can do some bench racing! Mid-Ohio is an awesome track. Been there, lots of fun!!!

OK Racebum. You sound like you've had a ton of fun getting those accolades! Congrats to you!! Now, I want to ask you, without becoming NEGATIVE, on how APT is one able to "become one" with the car that is Automatic? IE, Formula 1. You see, I AM getting the Auto. No way out for me due to age and physical stuff, so leave it at that. I understand the benefits of sticks.

My Question to you, AS A RACER, is DO YOU THINK, WITH PROPER TUNING, YOU COULD ACHIEVE THE SAME or BETTER RESULTS ON THE TRACK WITH AN AUTO THAT IS SET UP? I think there is a lot of folks here who are hoping to hear someone with experience provide feedback. I can only assume it IS POSSIBLE to "learn" an appropriately responsive automatic with paddle shifts to perform with precision on the track AND to become "one" with the car. Take a long track on which you might be making 100 laps with innumerable gear shifts. (I think most on here know what generally does best on the 1/4 mile). What positives can you convey to us about the "track" assumption and how an auto might just add some benefit?

Also, if you do not think it is possible, just diplomatically exit the theme, because I only intend it for those wanting to LEARN HOW TO MAKE THEIR AUTO DO WELL (not start a debate!!)

Last edited by htron50; 01-13-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: EDIT: I do NOT want to start arguments here. Just looking for POSITIVES ON A6. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #28
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I ordered my ZL1 with an automatic. As long as I can pick whatever gear I want (within programmed limits) & don't have to work a foot operated manual clutch, I don't feel there's a perceived disadvantage over a stick (unless you're talking gas guzzler TAX). The Hydra-Matic has better top end, quicker through the 1/4 & has better 0 - 60 times. What's not to love? Getting used to paddle shifters is a matter of practice. Like anything else, you'll adapt in time & gain proficiency. You won't have to take your hand off the steering wheel to make a shift. I don't care for "skip-shift" anyway. Besides, sooner or later, you'll get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic or find some pretty steep hills. I like the option to shift or let the computer do it for me. Manual transmissions are for "purists" who can't see any other options. From what I gather, the automatic shifts PDQ... much faster than a manual.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote