Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Problem After Pedderization

The underside of my car is now very red... complete bushings, coilovers, and ZL1 sway conversion... which is cool, except...

When going up the ramps of my parking garage (think making sharp turns onto steep driveways) something in the rear is binding up. There is an audible scraping type sound and you can feel something binding/scraping, then releasing. I have tried to replicate it on flat ground and cannot.

The car is stock ride height so it is not scraping bottom.

Everything has been double checked and nothing seems to be loose.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas what is going on?

About the only thing I can think of is the car is now stiff enough that it is trying to lift the inner rear wheel which is causing the posi unit to freak out. But that's obviously just a guess and I don't know if it even makes sense.

Any ideas/insights would be greatly appreciated.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
V6 or V8?

does it sound like it's on one side or the other?

does it do it turning left as well as right?
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Iron Lung Jimmy

V8

There are only right turns so I don't know about turning left.

It is kind of hard to pin down where it comes from except, obviously, the back. Today I was paying close attention and at first I thought it was the diff but then maybe it was the outside wheel.

Just occurred to me... could the traction control be trying to bind up the outside brake??? Tomorrow I'll turn it off.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Rob@WretchedMS

hard to say, it could very well be the abs or the diff.
If the only time you ever heard/feel anything is when you go in to the garage with a sharp angle and steep step up.

Just make sure that everything is tight, and that the wheels are clear of the swaybar.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I experienced the same issue. For me it was the result of an incorrect bushings that came with my pedders FE4 sway bar. Here is my fix:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=pedders+sway

Good luck
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
i experience this on a steep incline or decline and wheels turned sharp left or right BUT i have after market wheels that do put me right on the edge and im lowered on xa's. i know for a fact the tire rubs a touch on sharp turns on a decline or incline so depending on the wheels you are running it could be that
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
camaro19

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I experience something similar with my Pedders Justice w/ ZL1 bars. Whenever I turn, left or right, on an unlevel surface it feels as if something is binding. I do not have the scraping noise that you describe though.

Here is a previous thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266202
camaro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
Iron Lung Jimmy

Turned off all controls this morning and, despite high hopes, the problem persists. So it's not the computer trying to lock anything up.

Straight up a hill... fine.

Making a sharp turn from an incline to a flat surface... fine.

Making a sharp turn from a decline to a flat surface... fine.

Making a sharp turn from a flat surface to a decline... do it fast and there is a crashing type sound/sensation from the inside front wheel. Do it slow and there is no problem. I am guessing that is the wheel unweighting, then quickly loading back up? Whatever, I can live with that.

Making a sharp turn from a flat surface to an incline... anything from mild binding/scraping to the car sounding like it's trying to tear itself apart. That totally depends on the amount of steering that is dialed in. The more I can unwind the steering the less severe the issue.

Basically the car does not like being turned while the front wheels are on the incline while the rears are still on the flat and the more you try to make it turn the less it likes it.

Stock wheels and tires. Stock ride height. Car was aligned to Pedders specs by a high end performance shop.

Totally mystified.

I don't think it's the sway bar bushes because if it were I think it would be happening in more than just this specific circunstance.

Tonight I'll crawl under it to see if I can find any evidence of rubbing.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
R8E1D

Drives: 2013 Ram 1500
Have you taken any hard corners at speed? Like a back country road or road course.
R8E1D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Iron Lung Jimmy

Not Randy Pobst fast, but as fast as my untalented self dared go.

Corners beautifully with no issues.

The limits of the car are now way higher than a sane person would push on a public road, though, so I'm probably not working it that hard.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
R8E1D

Drives: 2013 Ram 1500
Just wondering. I have the justice package on mine and I have the same issues with driving onto an incline. I also have other issues with higher than normal speed curves. Mine is definitely in the diff though. It feels like the clutches are ripping apart in the rear end.
R8E1D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
Iron Lung Jimmy

That's kind of what I am thinking is happening with mine. But why?

The only earthly reason I can think of is that somehow by unloading the inside wheel the diff goes crazy. Buy why?

Does anybody who knows more about differentials than I do have a theory as to what is going on?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
Rob@WretchedMS

yes, like has been mentioned, likely one of the rear tires is getting very light and the rear diff locks and that's what you head.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
Iron Lung Jimmy

OK, thanks Rob, that makes sense... and is pretty much what I originally thought.

So now the obvious question - how much harm is it doing?

I can't avoid going up the ramps (there's six) so if I'm going to be tearing up diffs I'd much rather just unstiffen my car enough that it's happy again.

Which, I suppose, leads me to my second question - if I need to unstiffen the car where do I start? In descending order (from most effect to least) what do I start changing back?