Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-25-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Thumbs up Jay Leno Talks About Camaro & What Detroit is Doing Right

Quote:
Jay Leno was on the phone earlier this week. The host of NBC's "The Tonight Show" asked how things were going in Detroit and made it clear where he stood on the only issue that matters around here.

"I can't believe they give these sleazeball financial guys a bailout and not people who actually make a product," he said. "It's amazing to me."

Anyone who follows Leno knows he's a devoted car guy. If any celebrity outside of Detroit is going to say something positive about the domestic auto industry, it's him.

"They have great products in the pipeline," said Leno. "The Volt is a terrific concept that will surpass the Prius."

He also rattled off the new Chevy Camaro, Dodge Challenger and Ford F-150 as examples of what Detroit is doing right.

Leno was talking cars because he'll be rubbing shoulders with the Motor City soon. He's performing just across the river on New Year's Eve at the Colosseum stage at Caesars Windsor. Tickets went on sale this week.

The late-night host is one of several entertainers booked for future Caesars Windsor concerts, a list that includes Johnny Mathis tonight and Saturday and Glen Campbell, Dionne Warwick, Jewel and Jeff Foxworthy in January.

New Year's Eve is the big night of the year for partygoers, but it's more like a typical night onstage for Leno, who continues to appear virtually nonstop at clubs and theaters despite his demanding network TV schedule.

"I always work New Year's Eve somewhere. That's the night, isn't it?" said Leno. "If you're a comic and you don't have a good gig New Year's Eve, you're in sad shape."

Leno's regular time slot on NBC will be filled that night by the fifth annual "NBC's New Year's Eve with Carson Daly" special.

The jokes delivered by Leno at Caesars Windsor are bound to cover a cross-section of topics.

"When you do 'The Tonight Show' monologue, you sort of talk about the events of the day," he explained. "When you show up in person, you can talk about events that have a bit more shelf life."

Don't be surprised if there are some mentions of the Detroit Lions, one of Leno's favorite "tough-love jokes," as he describes it.

"I just read today by 2012, there'll be 7 billion people in the world, and it's amazing that Detroit can't find 11 of them to play football," he said. "I mean, you'd think out of those 7 billion, 11 of them could play? No."

And there may be some time devoted to President-elect Barack Obama. Leno isn't among those who think it will be difficult to poke fun at the new administration.

"Clinton and Bush were the golden age of comedy. ... It's fascinating, though, to have a president that can actually talk. You go, oh? You don't go, he made it through! When Bush speaks, you go, he made it through!" he says.

At the end of May, Leno will step down as host of the "The Tonight Show" and NBC late-late host Conan O'Brien will take over on June 1. The long-anticipated move has sustained a steady buzz about what Leno plans to do next.

Leno is less forthcoming about this topic than he is about cars.

Asked to describe his transition strategy, he said, "I actually haven't started any transition yet. I haven't really thought much about it."

OK. Is he a New Year's resolution kind of guy? "No, not really."

Where does he see himself at the end of 2009? What will he be doing? "Oh, I don't know," he answered off-handedly, "probably the same thing I'm doing now somewhere."

And will that include telling Lions jokes? You can bet on it.

"With Bush leaving, you've got to go with what you've got," he said.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

http://www.freep.com/article/2008112...811210357/1038

camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
good find.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Belo

Drives: 98 Heavily Modded Pontiac GTP
Always liked Leno. But we all know celebrities can bitch and moan all they want about their beliefs, and it wont help.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
I wish I lived next door to him and he let me pick what I wanted to drive each week. Now that would be sweet!!!!

Jay if you are reading this PM me and I will send you my address so you can send me a nice down payment for my Camaro.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
He'd be great on Top Gear.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Mister i thought the SAME exact thing.... he'd be a hell of a lot better as the "Jeremy" then Corolla....
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Nice find. Go Leno.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
DustinK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
They might be "entertaining" then, however
DustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
They can't even afford him. He makes in one day what TG UK makes in a year.

Ask Johnny's X wife (Eddie Murphy / Carson skit reference)...

But he is a great car lover. I hope he opens a Leno Auto museum. Or better yet let him take over GM after it eats useless Crysler.

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 11-25-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Sorry, Party Politcs not allowed. Thanks.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
He should have his show called Jay's Garage and just review it like top gear. It would be fun for him and it would not soil the Top Gear name by having phony shows in the US.
fad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
tally114

Drives: 08 C6 NPP, MZ6 436hp, M2W
Thumbs up

Quote:
I couldnt agree more. I really think he would be great on there.
tally114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:44 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
He was offered a spot on top gear, but he turned it down.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #13
06GTO

Drives: 06 GTO, 06 Z06, 06 X5 4.4
Yeah i remember that, thats nuts
Old 11-26-2008, 02:34 AM   #14
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:

Best part is...he's a car guy with a VOICE to be heard. I don't know if he has, but he needs to use his voice up on stage with millions watching and let people know what's going on up there with the big 3...about buying domestic...and about doing their part to keep our country alive.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote