Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #43
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by stet View Post
I wonder why they didn't use the Halos as the DRLs instead of the fog lights. It may be an interesting mod to to wire the Halos to always be on (as DRLs and then along with the headlights at night) and restore the fog light button to the dash that the non-RS has.
halo's are for decoration, they are not a substitute for the DRL's which are a safety mandate by law now..
Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #44
Rickscamero

Drives: Infiniti G35 Coupe
Does anyone know if our headlights are air tight or air sealed?

This info will help me in determining, whether to get the RS package. Thx.
Rickscamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #45
Megamx

Drives: 2010 Camero... duh
I picked mine up two days ago (in Canada) and the fog lights are used as daytime running lights so I DO get a option to run halo with fog lights
Megamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #46
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by stet View Post
I wonder why they didn't use the Halos as the DRLs instead of the fog lights.
Not bright enough. The Halo can only meet park function.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:16 AM   #47
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickscamero View Post
Does anyone know if our headlights are air tight or air sealed?

This info will help me in determining, whether to get the RS package. Thx.
i'm not sure but i would be willing to say yes they are sealed to keep moisture out and not to fog up

why are you planning to add something in there like strobes or something?
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:56 AM   #48
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
i'm not sure but i would be willing to say yes they are sealed to keep moisture out and not to fog up

why are you planning to add something in there like strobes or something?
hey!

my headlights come from the factory with strobe holes!!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:05 AM   #49
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
hey!

my headlights come from the factory with strobe holes!!
lucky lol
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #50
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEVER View Post
In the H2 I had I ran a jumper from the headlight relay to the DRL relay with a diode inline to prevent the headlights from coming on during the daytime. DISCLAIMER PICTURE IS FROM A HUMMER FUSE BOX...
I've done something similar to a few of my cars. I think the trouble with the Camaro is that the Halo is not powered by a seperate wire running into the headlight assembly. I believe it's one single hot wire and ground running into the headlight assembly and once inside, it splits to power the halo and HID ballast. I'll pop the hood today after work to verify.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #51
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
In Canada whoever has the RS package (HID). Your light switch has 4 settings:
#1: O = Off (Spring loads to Auto position when you turn it to the left of Auto). It Reboots. This will turn Off your HID & DRL when the car is running and only in Park. Once tranny is engaged then which ever your light switch is on, the appropriate lights will turn on.

#2: AUTO = DRLs on at all times except when it starts to get dark then the HID comes on.

#3: Parking Lamps = During the day the DRLs are on with the Halos { ( ) } on. But when it gets dark the DRLs come Off and the HID comes on even in this position.

#4: HID = DRLs off on HID lights on.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone..it seems complicated but once you fool around with this you'll know what to do...and Remember this is for Canada Only.
I could be wrong with some of this but I just tested these out..correct me if I am wrong.
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #52
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
so halos cannot be run with the fogs.... can the regular halogen headlights be run at the same time as the fogs?
Yeah all you have to do is push in the light knob and they'll turn on
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:48 AM   #53
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
halo's are for decoration, they are not a substitute for the DRL's which are a safety mandate by law now..
DLR are only "mandated by law" in Canada, not the US.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #54
SSPROJECT
barbarianmotorsports

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
so here is another question what is the bulb number for the daytime driving light . you can just change the color and make it look more like superwhite like the leds. that will look good.
SSPROJECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #55
CamaroUser

Drives: TrailBlazerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
DLR are only "mandated by law" in Canada, not the US.
General Motors, interested in reducing the build variations of cars for the North American market, began lobbying the DOT (United States Department of Transportation) to permit DRLs in the United States shortly after Canada required them. A prolonged regulatory battle was fought, with the DOT objecting on grounds of potential safety drawbacks and glare issues. Eventually, however, these objections were set aside and DRLs of the same types allowed in Canada (save for fog lamp DRLs) were legalized but not mandated effective with the 1995 model year. General Motors immediately equipped most (and, in following years, all) of its vehicles with DRLs beginning with the Chevrolet Corsica. Saab, Volkswagen, Volvo, Suzuki and Subaru gradually introduced DRLs in the U.S. market beginning in 1995. In recent years, Lexus has installed high-beam or turn signal based DRLs on US models. Some Toyota models come with DRLs as standard or optional equipment, and with a driver-controllable on/off switch. Starting in the 2006 model year, Honda began equipping their U.S. models with DRLs, mostly by reduced-intensity operation of the high beam headlamps.

Public reaction to DRLs, generally neutral to positive in Canada, is decidedly mixed in the U.S. Thousands of complaints regarding glare from DRLs were lodged with the DOT shortly after DRLs were permitted on cars, and there was also concern that headlamp-based DRLs reduce the conspicuity of motorcycles, and that DRLs based on front turn signals introduce ambiguity into the turn signal system. In 1997, in response to these complaints and after measuring actual DRL intensity well above the 7,000 cd limit on vehicles in use, DOT proposed changes to the DRL specification that would have capped axial intensity at 1,500 candelas, a level nearly identical to the European 1,200 cd and identical to the initially-proposed Canadian limit. During the open comment period, thousands of public comments were received by DOT in support of lowering the intensity (or advocating the complete elimination of DRLs from U.S. roads). Automaker sentiment generally ran along predictable lines, with European automakers experienced at complying with European DRL requirements voicing no objection to the proposal, and North American automakers vociferously repeating the same objections they raised in response to Canada's initial proposal.[16][17] The DOT proposal for DRL intensity reduction was rescinded in 2004.[
Old 07-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #56
cobra

Drives: 69 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
Not bright enough. The Halo can only meet park function.

-Geoff
Exactly, though I've seen some driving at night with parking lights only, (just rings). Cool but unsafe.

Last edited by cobra; 07-01-2009 at 10:52 PM.
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote