Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
tire plug appreciation thread

somehow a 1/2" screw managed to go all the way through my tread. pulled it out and sure enough the air was seeping out. plugged it and didn't even need to put air in the tire. the tire was tough, had to drive in reverse slowly with the plugger in the tire to actually get it in all the way, didn't want to take the wheel off.

had it up to 85mph and 100 miles so far, no issues

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:28 AM   #2
NorthTex45thSS

Drives: 2012 45th SS
Those tire plugs work pretty well. I have had 4 in my right rear drag radial for over 1500 miles with several passes down the track with no issues. I keep a 4 pack of plugs with a small tube of the plug glue in my car. I cover the plug in the glue, pull nail or screw, quickly push it in the hole, I then light it on fire with a lighter for about 20 seconds to melt it in good. Never had one pull back out, even doing burnouts at the track, no problems. They have saved my butt several times.

95 Kenworth W900L
powered by CAT
13 spd
NorthTex45thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
didn't use the plug glue, was all out of it.. is it necessary?

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:33 AM   #4
NorthTex45thSS

Drives: 2012 45th SS
I have used plenty of those plugs without the glue on regular street tires and have not had an issue. With the drag radials i use being a softer compound and thinner tread I use the glue as added protection.

95 Kenworth W900L
powered by CAT
13 spd
NorthTex45thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Firedrop, you da man! I do the same thing whenever I can: Avoid taking the wheel off, sometimes roll it to gently push the plug into place, and can often do the entire repair without needing to refill it... just lose a pound or two in a quick swap of nail for plug.

I haven't done it without the glue before... but I HAVE plugged a hole that was so big that it required two plugs in the same hole. That was a little sketchy, but got me home.
I've also done a sidewall plug, in a pinch. Also worked, but I wasn't real comfortable with that.

Used to be, every time I had a flat, I'd have to put the spare on, drive to a tire shop (hopefully it happens 9-5, Mo-Fr!), and pay 'em $10 or $20 to fix the thing. Then one day the AutoZone dude showed me how to do it.... now it takes 5% of the time, and costs me 1% of the money... and I'm a hero at the office every time one of the ladies has a flat...

Oh, and by the way: The "glue" is Rubber Cement. Yes, looks like it, smells like it, acts like it.... but I also looked into it further, and confirmed... It IS basic Rubber Cement, nothing special.

Last edited by Scalded Dog; 07-06-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
My RS had a spare but my SS doesn't because of the Brembos. I think I'm going to pick up a tire plug kit and keep it in the glove compartment!
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTex45thSS View Post
Those tire plugs work pretty well. I have had 4 in my right rear drag radial for over 1500 miles with several passes down the track with no issues. I keep a 4 pack of plugs with a small tube of the plug glue in my car. I cover the plug in the glue, pull nail or screw, quickly push it in the hole, I then light it on fire with a lighter for about 20 seconds to melt it in good. Never had one pull back out, even doing burnouts at the track, no problems. They have saved my butt several times.
I would be very weary with four plugs in one tire. My company considers a tire non-repairable after 3 repairs because the integrity of the tire is starting to degrade with these imperfections.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Once the tire is repaired it loses its speed rating for obvious reasons. I wouldn't go beating on a tire with multiple plugs, the proper repair is plug/patch but hey its your car hope it works out.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote