Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #29
midnightwarrior
Its so hard

Drives: 2010 SS, 2009 Yamaha Warrior
I need to start a rant thread about America's youth. I see what good parenting does and the effect of bad parenting every week and I get two months to fix it. This kid comes on here looking for advice not to rub it in our faces that he's getting a camaro/cobalt. That right there shows that he is thinking. Something most typical 16 year olds don't do.
midnightwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #30
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwarrior View Post
I need to start a rant thread about America's youth. I see what good parenting does and the effect of bad parenting every week and I get two months to fix it. This kid comes on here looking for advice not to rub it in our faces that he's getting a camaro/cobalt. That right there shows that he is thinking. Something most typical 16 year olds don't do.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #31
JeffHudgensMD

Drives: 2013 RS Camaro (2 LT)
For what it's worth... I was considering a RS Cruze also... and my parents pushed me into getting the 2 LT Camaro. I'm glad they did!
JeffHudgensMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #32
Stack4

Drives: 2014 SW 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
It was bound to happen sooner or later, and chances are the mods will remove his post, so don't worry about it; just ignore him.

My parents gave me a car when I turned 16. Granted, it was a '92 3/4 ton long-bed Chevy 4x4 with vinyl seats and crank windows, but two years later I got a new truck for graduation as a reward for good grades, getting a full ride to a state college and being responsible.

No worries.
Yeah, I was pleased with how far it got until a post like that. Good job with the scholarship. What sport did you play? They almost never give scholarships just for good grades.
Stack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #33
midnightwarrior
Its so hard

Drives: 2010 SS, 2009 Yamaha Warrior
Quote:
Bird is the word
midnightwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #34
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHudgensMD View Post
For what it's worth... I was considering a RS Cruze also... and my parents pushed me into getting the 2 LT Camaro. I'm glad they did!
The Cruze RS is a very nice car. Especially in red.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #35
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
Yeah, I was pleased with how far it got until a post like that. Good job with the scholarship. What sport did you play? They almost never give scholarships just for good grades.
I played softball and was a cheerleader, but my scholarship was grade-based; I scored a 33 on the ACT (with a 36 in Reading, 35 in English).

Old 10-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #36
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
@BreakingBad I honestly don't care what you have to say...

@menendez Thanks for your input. I live about 5 miles from school and wouldn't be driving highway very often. I just checked a quote, my insurance would be a little over $700 per six months. The main reason I'm getting a new car, like I said previously, is my grades. My parents agreed to get a new car for me if I am in the top 5 in my grade Freshmen and Sophomore (current) year. At my school, you decide your parking spot by class rank, so I would no doubt choose a very far away spot in a corner. I really like the Cruze, but come on...Camaro. How does the Eco handle? I've only driven an auto 2lt, but I'm going to get a stick in any car I get. I've read that the Eco has really weird gearing for 5th and 6th gear.

The cruze handles alright. It might not have any power whats so ever but it does its job. It is an impressive little car. the 5th and 6th are a little wired. I do live in a city but i have very open roads that you do 50 on the whole time so i can get into 6th. Since i do have hills here i do have to change out of 5th and 6th the second i come across one. I have no complaints over the cruze except when i turned it on after i changed the exhaust on the camaro.

But in reality the cruze is not a car i would recommend to pass someone on a two lane highway in. i have had to numerous times in an emergency and have hit the limiter once.

i was high up in my grades also (graduated with a 4.06) but we never got to choose spaces and there were 40 crashes involving students at my school in a year so i didnt want anything happening to the camaro.

I would say stop by your local dealer and see if they have a cruze Eco M6 you can drive. The dealer around me always has like 4-5 Eco M6 on the lot. They are popular efficient cheap cars.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #37
Stack4

Quote:
I played softball and was a cheerleader, but my scholarship was grade-based; I scored a 33 on the ACT (with a 36 in Reading, 35 in English).
Wow. A girl a few years ago that was in my school district got a 36, and still got turned down by some Ivy League colleges.

Last edited by Stack4; 10-25-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #38
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
It was bound to happen sooner or later, and chances are the mods will remove his post, so don't worry about it; just ignore him.

My parents gave me a car when I turned 16. Granted, it was a '92 3/4 ton long-bed Chevy 4x4 with vinyl seats and crank windows, but two years later I got a new truck for graduation as a reward for good grades, getting a full ride to a state college and being responsible.

No worries.
Agree. That was uncalled for... again double on him.

And same here, when I turned 16 my Dad let my drive his fairly new Eldorado until I turned 18. Did good in school, got into a good university (premed) and drove sensibly w/ no violations. Then he got me a brand new TransAm GTA. I got into speed, power and mods BUT exercised it on the track (ATCO, Meadowlands, and Englishtown). I respected the streets and enjoyed classic and musclecars at carshows and track events. Fast forward 25 years later and I still do the same - enjoy shows and events w/ two new pony/msucle cars.

Not everyone who gets rewarded (or even spoiled by their parents) at their young teenage years is a derelict or delinquent juvenile.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #39
justinxxvii

Drives: Car
I wish I could have got such an awesome deal on car insurance when I was 16! I never had any insurance claims either, and my rate was astronomical. Like I said, $190/month for a car that cost me $2500.
justinxxvii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #40
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
The cruze handles alright. It might not have any power whats so ever but it does its job. It is an impressive little car. the 5th and 6th are a little wired. I do live in a city but i have very open roads that you do 50 on the whole time so i can get into 6th. Since i do have hills here i do have to change out of 5th and 6th the second i come across one. I have no complaints over the cruze except when i turned it on after i changed the exhaust on the camaro.

But in reality the cruze is not a car i would recommend to pass someone on a two lane highway in. i have had to numerous times in an emergency and have hit the limiter once.

i was high up in my grades also (graduated with a 4.06) but we never got to choose spaces and there were 40 crashes involving students at my school in a year so i didnt want anything happening to the camaro.

I would say stop by your local dealer and see if they have a cruze Eco M6 you can drive. The dealer around me always has like 4-5 Eco M6 on the lot. They are popular efficient cheap cars.
My parents and I are going to a few dealerships on Saturday, I'm so excited. I'm not even sure if the dealers would let someone with a permit test drive any cars though.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
We have a Camaro and Cruze, so I'm talking from experience. I love both cars they are both 2012 purchase a week apart.
Camaro: 2012 2LT LFX Automatic 6 speed RS Black
Cruze: 2012 1LT ECOTEC Turbo 1.4L Automatic 6 speed RS Black

If I was in a situation like yours I would get the Cruze. You are young and will be able to get a Camaro latter. Getting the Cruze will be easier on your parents. They obviously love you, they are willing to buy you a car for your birthday. They also have a limited amount of money or else they would have offered you an SS.

The Cruze is fun to drive has plenty of room for your friends better usable cargo space better fuel economy 26 city 38 highway. Fuel cost and insurance are going two be big headaches for you.

As for moods the Cruze has some good ones. So you will be able to personalize it.

What ever pick you will have fun, after all its your first car.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #42
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
WOW. A girl a few years ago that was in my school district got a 36, and still got turned down by some Ivy League colleges.
Yikes! Well, my scholarship offers weren't Ivy-- unless you count Stanford or Vanderbilt (those weren't full rides, though)-- but my parents wanted me to go to the University of Arkansas like the rest of my family so that's where I went, and I had a Chancellor's Scholarship. It was a full ride and a sweet deal, till I joined a sorority and let my GPA dip below a 3.5 and lost it my sophomore year Finished school anyway with a lesser scholarship, but it was still embarassing! haha.