Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusthevirus View Post
i heard that the diff in the ss model have had problems with it breaking at my local track. Is this a def that the zl1 will have a different diff? Bc this car is going to be a major torque monkey

This is a completely different and enhanced differential. We don't know more details than it is a larger iron case. I've seen reports from the Oshawa tour that attendies were told it was a 14-bolt (14-bolts were found in heavy half-ton, light three-quarter pick-ups, Suburbans (three-quarter ton), H2s, and even Trailblazer SSs I believe. In these applications, I found the ring gear diameter to be 9.5"; this is not the same 14-bolt off-roaders are gravitating to; those are like 10.5" ring gear diff's. We know it's patent-pending, and the ratio is going to be 3.73s (since the announcement of the A6, it's not known if it will have it's own ratio), and that's about it. The axle shafts will be upgraded, too. Don't forget the diff' cooler, too.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:19 AM   #16
kudzu74
Account Suspended

Drives: SS 08' Trailblazer
Post FYI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
This is a completely different and enhanced differential. We don't know more details than it is a larger iron case. I've seen reports from the Oshawa tour that attendies were told it was a 14-bolt (14-bolts were found in heavy half-ton, light three-quarter pick-ups, Suburbans (three-quarter ton), H2s, and even Trailblazer SSs I believe. In these applications, I found the ring gear diameter to be 9.5"; this is not the same 14-bolt off-roaders are gravitating to; those are like 10.5" ring gear diff's. We know it's patent-pending, and the ratio is going to be 3.73s (since the announcement of the A6, it's not known if it will have it's own ratio), and that's about it. The axle shafts will be upgraded, too. Don't forget the diff' cooler, too.
I have an 08' Trailblazer (3)SS...its a 12-bolt 4.10 not a 14-bolt...I don't think anything more than a 12 was used on any of the Trailblazer SSs.

Perhaps you meant a Tahoe?
kudzu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu74 View Post
I have an 08' Trailblazer (3)SS...its a 12-bolt 4.10 not a 14-bolt...I don't think anything more than a 12 was used on any of the Trailblazer SSs.

Perhaps you meant a Tahoe?
If that's the case, I stand corrected! Thank you for straightening me out I don't believe Tahoes came with 14 or 12-bolts. Honestly, because the housing looked like a 14-bolt, that's what I assumed came in your TBSS That's what happens when one assumes... Tahoes came with a more round center section while yours, and the rest of the rears I was talking about, were more angular, almost similar to a Dana-70 in a Ford. I'll see if I can find some pics'

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Here are some examples the 14-bolt I'm talking about, though, of course, it's not going to be the same case like ZL1 might get (again - 14-bolt has NOT been confirmed by GM yet). The first three are 9.5" 14-bolts, which I think have a good chance at getting installed, and the last, just for reference, is a 10.5" 14-bolt that the off-roaders are starting to embrace a lot. Considering SS has something like a 8.75" ring gear, I can't see GM not stepping into a size close to 9.5" for ZL1. It just seems like a half-inch increase wouldn't really be worth it, considering nearly 160 more horsepower and close to as much torque in a car I believe is easily going to get to between 4000 and 4100 pounds.
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
All I can say is you fans sure know your stuff on these details.

I can't wait to get the final specifications and pictures, etc., of what is going into the ZL1. One thing I think I'd love to have is a FACTORY/SHOP MANUAL showing all the "how to's" regarding EVERYTHING. ZL1 Brittanica! Anybody know where best shop manual can be sourced? It would be great to have a "full" one included with every "sold" ZL1.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
All I can say is you fans sure know your stuff on these details.

I can't wait to get the final specifications and pictures, etc., of what is going into the ZL1. One thing I think I'd love to have is a FACTORY/SHOP MANUAL showing all the "how to's" regarding EVERYTHING. ZL1 Brittanica! Anybody know where best shop manual can be sourced? It would be great to have a "full" one included with every "sold" ZL1.
I think we used to get out manuals and microfishe (I forgot how to spell, lol - and am too lazy to look...) from Bell & Howell. You should be able to go to a dealer, and probably order a complete service manual for about $200 (we were paying like $150 more than ten years ago).

You better believe I'll be collecting all the information I can - if not here, personally. I already am, lol.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
Motion427
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel L99
I have a Trailblazer ss that my wife runs. They come with a 14 bolt 9.5" ring gear w/4.10.Eaton clutch type differential with 33 spline axle shafts.Hopefully GM done their homework like Lingenfelter did.
Motion427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion427 View Post
I have a Trailblazer ss that my wife runs. They come with a 14 bolt 9.5" ring gear w/4.10.Eaton clutch type differential with 33 spline axle shafts.Hopefully GM done their homework like Lingenfelter did.
Well - not I'm a little confused. I know I've seen the 14-bolt housing but never followed-up on the ring gear diameter, so maybe the OP has the regular 1/2-ton-type, with the rounder center chunk...

Thanks for your input

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #23
Dmaxcc6spd

Drives: 71 Camaro SS - 17 Camaro SS1LE
How about the 11.5 inch 14 bolt in the 2500 and 3500 trucks? Should be plenty stout, but may present ground clearance issues!!!
Dmaxcc6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #24
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxcc6spd View Post
How about the 11.5 inch 14 bolt in the 2500 and 3500 trucks? Should be plenty stout, but may present ground clearance issues!!!

LOL!!! That, and it's +550 pounds of girth!!! LOL!!! Actually - that 11.5 might be a little smaller, on the exterior, than the 10.5 14-bolt... Yeah... Probably overkill

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"