Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
rainey85

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro Vert.
Air Conditioner Recall

Just wondering if anyone else has been notified about this recall. My service dept. called me this afternoon and said there is a issue with the BCM (body control module) and that it needs to be reprogrammed. If you haven't been contacted by your dealer you may want to call them to see if your car is affected.

After searching the web I found this info here on the Camaro5 site.

Document ID: 2662479
#11160: Customer Satisfaction - Loss of Air Conditioning - Reprogram Body Control Module - (May 23, 2011)

Subject:11160 - Loss of Air Conditioning - Reprogram Body Control Module

Models:2011 Chevrolet Camaro

*THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL MAY 31, 2013*

Condition:
Certain 2011 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles may have a condition in which the air conditioning compressor may not turn on or turn off. This could cause the compressor to fail, resulting in a loss of air conditioning.

Correction:
Dealers are to reprogram the body control module.

Vehicles Involved:
Involved are certain 2011 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles.
Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty Management system. Not all vehicles may be involved.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.
The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Parts Information:
No parts are required for this program.

Service Procedure:
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) with the calibration update. When using a MDI for reprogramming, ensure that is updated with the latest software version. Use TIS2WEB on or after 05/16/11 to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.

For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal.
Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain proper battery voltage during programming. <LI type=1>Reprogram the body control module (BCM). Refer to SI and Service Programming System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
2.1. Connect the MDI to the vehicle.

2.2. Select J2534 MDI and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen.

2.3. Select BCM Body Control Module -- Programming from the Supported Controllers screen.

2.4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Clear all diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
Check the driver information center display for additional messages regarding further calibration instructions. If there are no additional driver information center instructions present, programming is complete.
Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada:

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction Information:

Submit a transaction using the table below.

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time
V2434
Reprogram BCM

Customer Notification - For US and Canada:

General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

Customer Notification - For Export:

Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.

Dealer Program Responsibility:

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, through May 31, 2013.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the involved vehicle listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your facility for service through May 31, 2013, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
Dear General Motors Customer:
We have learned that your 2011 model year Chevrolet Camaro may have a condition in which the air conditioning compressor may not turn on or turn off. This could cause the compressor to fail, resulting in a loss of air conditioning.
Your satisfaction with your Camaro is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to prevent this condition.
What We Will Do: Your GM dealer will reprogram the body control module. This service will be performed for you at no charge until May 31, 2013 . After that, any applicable warranty will apply.
What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair.
If you have any questions or concerns that your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.
Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)
Chevrolet
1-800-222-1020
1-800-833-2438
Guam
65-6267-1752

Puerto Rico - English

1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Español

1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands

1-800-496-9994

Courtesy Transportation: If your vehicle is within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, your dealer may provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the dealership for this repair. Please refer to your Owner Manual and your dealer for details on Courtesy Transportation.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your Camaro provides you many miles of enjoyable driving.

Jim Moloney

General Director,
Customer and Relationship Services
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.

rainey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
dodojoe

Drives: 2011 SS RS Camaro Convertible-VR
Received my recall this week. Have an appointment with the dealer on June 20th. He stated (dealer) they would not even have to raise the hood. This made me happy, as I didn't want them crawling all over this baby....
dodojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
rjtssvert

Drives: 2011 2ss rs convertible
Had mine done yesterday, needed a new compressor also.
rjtssvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
rainey85

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro Vert.
I haven't had any problems with my air so far, mainly cause I use it so rarely, so hopefully they will only have to reprogram the BCM.

rainey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
Fortunately my servicing dealer (Harnish, Puyallup, WA) spotted this for me and took care of it during my first service (bad mufflers.)

They also checked the bulletin-related convertible top issues and told me that the factory installed them correctly so I wouldn't have the issue. We'll see, but for now it looks like both issues are dealt with. Thanks for making this better known!

Tib
Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Glad to see everyone getting this covered. Let me know if any of you have any other issues.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Jeff, this what we like to see....the dealers stepping up and making the owners happy! Goes along way in brand loyalty that as you know can be destroyed in a minute by some of the service departments out there.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Danprh427

Drives: 2010 Camaro
So this looks like to be some of the newer 2011 models that are getting this recall or are we never going to notice if we never really use the ac?
Danprh427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
cleanwhiteSS
2011 White Camaro RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 White Camaro RS/2SS
Got mine reprogramed today. Also got a new air compressor.

2SS/RS M6, GFX, Borla Atak cat back,Blacked out tail lights, Heritage Grill, 20% tint, 5% on back, Hurst Short Thrower, Black Gills, SLP Shift Skip
cleanwhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
This might explain why I have been thinking the air conditioning in my car is total rubbish!!

I'm guessing my dealer will be able to tell me if my car is affected by this recall just by the VIN right?
Modern07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
PETRA
My Addiction

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS DropTop
so does this affect ALL 2011 Camaro's or only those produced before a certain date???

ALSO - regarding this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
....They also checked the bulletin-related convertible top issues and told me that the factory installed them correctly so I wouldn't have the issue.
What was this for? Apparently I missed it and I am curious now as I have a ragtop........???
You sound like my wife...at first she was.........but after a few rides in it and seeing me giggle lik a schoolgirl she was more like ............but then when I told her we could get her Vert lowered to match my stance she was like so it all worked out.
PETRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
This program is for certain 2011 Chevrolet Camaros. If you experience this problem you can let me know and I'll check over your VIN to see if you're involved. Or if you would simply like to check before hand you can send me your VIN and I can check it for you. I hope this helps.

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
Ana2011Camaro
Ana2011ToplessCamaro

Drives: 2011 Chevy Convertible Camaro
I got my call today! I haven't had any issues with the A/C! Hope that it is no big deal!
Ana2011Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #14
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
This program is for certain 2011 Chevrolet Camaros. If you experience this problem you can let me know and I'll check over your VIN to see if you're involved. Or if you would simply like to check before hand you can send me your VIN and I can check it for you. I hope this helps.

Jeff;

Mine's been working fine so far, even better than my Honda Accord. Just want to check my VIN before I go in next week for scheduled service. Thanks for all your help on this site.

VIN: 9161661

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote