Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #29
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
you guys are failing to realize... it WAS BOB LUTZ speaking... he knows what there going to ask...and he already knows what thier going to say... and pricing of cars is almost the most important thing about a car... it reflects everthing
he knew this was coming and he said quote " We are not going to try and match the Mustang on price. We are going to be premium-priced compared to the Mustang" (lutz) so COMPARABLE pricing for the average joe at premuim is around maybe 2000-4000 dollars more.................

but i think lutz meant in the 5000-7000 more range... he knew this question was coming and although Premium is slightly ambiguious... it states we can be scared that even our base v8 will be more expensive than a gt fully loaded... he made quotes to the IRS... and better interior... hes talking full line or cars.... AND ITS FRIGGEN BOB LUTZ....he never mis-words himself....

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #30
CaptianSam
Car Garage

pre·mi·um /ˈprimiəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pree-mee-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a prize, bonus, or award given as an inducement, as to purchase products, enter competitions initiated by business interests, etc.
2. a bonus, gift, or sum additional to price, wages, interest, or the like.
3. Insurance. the amount paid or to be paid by the policyholder for coverage under the contract, usually in periodic installments.
4. Economics. the excess value of one form of money over another of the same nominal value.
5. a sum above the nominal or par value of a thing.
6. the amount paid to the lender of stock by the borrower, typically a short seller.
7. the amount the buyer of a call or put option pays to the seller, quoted in dollars per share of stock.
8. a fee paid for instruction in a trade or profession.
9. a sum additional to the interest paid for the loan of money.
–adjective
10. of exceptional quality or greater value than others of its kind; superior: a wine made of premium grapes.
11. of higher price or cost.
12. of or pertaining to premiums: to work in premium sales.
—Idiom13. at a premium, a. at an unusually high price.
b. in short supply; in demand: Housing in that area is at a premium.

LUTZ knows what the word means... he wouldnt say were going to be premium if it was only a 2000 difference... he means P-R-E-M-I-U-M...like 4000-6000 more...
well....challenger,mustang... here i come...

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707

B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics

Last edited by CaptianSam; 03-20-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #31
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega94 View Post
Tag, our thoughs/hopes/dreams couldn't be more alike if we tried...I'm right there with you...and I am going to have faith and I'm going to wait until the official word comes about specs and such... I love this car...and I will be devoted to it until the day I die...and I have quite a life left to live (God willing)...Needless to say, I'm not willing to count it out yet!!

One thing though...I just hope that people would realize the amount of time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears that went (and is going) into the new Camaro. We only know of a few people who are directly involved (Fbodfather, camero, etc.) in the Camaro project. Can you imagine how they might feel discouraged when reading all of the negative comments when the car isn't even finished yet?? For something that is so close to some people's hearts...that must feel awful. Let's stop with the negative comments and instead...let's build them up...We've seen the pre-production Camaros...they look AMAZING!!! Give credit and respect where they are due. The Camaro team has worked too hard to have this car be pre-judged...Just wait until September in Indy...Have Faith
im esctatic about the car... but i cant help to see the glass half empty at what lutz has said about the price...

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555

B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
Old 03-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #32
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Bob Lutz shoots off his mouth a lot. Sometimes he’s right sometimes’ he’s not. He’s a CEO that speaks without thinking most of the time either that or doesn’t care to check his facts before he responds.

As to a 4 cylinder it’s possible but I’d be surprised if they did it. Honestly though a turbo four would be better than a V-6. You can easily be over 300hp with an ECU remap and a few tweaks.

As to premium, do you all really think they will have a 400hp Camaro with IRS, better handling, 20 inch rims and better interior for the same price as a 300hp, solid real axle, sloppy handling economy interior Mustang? Expect to pay about 2k more across the board at a minimum. Take a look at the G8 and GTO and figure prices from there. It should be similar. A well appointed 400hp Camaro I’m expecting in the mid 30’s easy.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #33
camarosc35

Drives: 1989 Camaro RS (435+hp, 435 lb./ft)
"Lutz said the V8 will have a cylinder cutoff system that shuts down half the engine when the car reaches cruising speed. That will help it get better fuel economy." What does this mean, we can't keep the motor opened up, it will kick down?
camarosc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #34
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Bob Lutz shoots off his mouth a lot. Sometimes he’s right sometimes’ he’s not. He’s a CEO that speaks without thinking most of the time either that or doesn’t care to check his facts before he responds.

As to a 4 cylinder it’s possible but I’d be surprised if they did it. Honestly though a turbo four would be better than a V-6. You can easily be over 300hp with an ECU remap and a few tweaks.

As to premium, do you all really think they will have a 400hp Camaro with IRS, better handling, 20 inch rims and better interior for the same price as a 300hp, solid real axle, sloppy handling economy interior Mustang? Expect to pay about 2k more across the board at a minimum. Take a look at the G8 and GTO and figure prices from there. It should be similar. A well appointed 400hp Camaro I’m expecting in the mid 30’s easy.
I see your point but GM and Lutz acknowledged that the GTO was overpriced and said the same mistake would not be made with the Camaro.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #35
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosc35 View Post
"Lutz said the V8 will have a cylinder cutoff system that shuts down half the engine when the car reaches cruising speed. That will help it get better fuel economy." What does this mean, we can't keep the motor opened up, it will kick down?

This is what he is talking about: http://www.chevrolet.com/activemanagement/
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #36
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega94 View Post
Tag, our thoughs/hopes/dreams couldn't be more alike if we tried...I'm right there with you...and I am going to have faith and I'm going to wait until the official word comes about specs and such... I love this car...and I will be devoted to it until the day I die...and I have quite a life left to live (God willing)...Needless to say, I'm not willing to count it out yet!!

One thing though...I just hope that people would realize the amount of time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears that went (and is going) into the new Camaro. We only know of a few people who are directly involved (Fbodfather, camero, etc.) in the Camaro project. Can you imagine how they might feel discouraged when reading all of the negative comments when the car isn't even finished yet?? For something that is so close to some people's hearts...that must feel awful. Let's stop with the negative comments and instead...let's build them up...We've seen the pre-production Camaros...they look AMAZING!!! Give credit and respect where they are due. The Camaro team has worked too hard to have this car be pre-judged...Just wait until September in Indy...Have Faith
This is exaclty what I was thinking on a rank I went on about last week. Let's not bite the hands that feed us, but just try to be understanding that we probably don't know but a small percentage of everything that this process entails. It's hard to wait so long, but it sounds like GM has every intention on giving us a car that is going to be great. I'll pay more for something like that and if I can go through a rag article that doesn't mention how cheap a GM interior is, I'll be happy. Let the people work and do their thing, and I'm sure nearly most of us can be happy with the final product.

Having said that; I'm tired of spy shots now (not really...) I want some concrete information

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #37
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
ok, now that i'm done ranting and such, has anyone else been bothered by the fact that there's this flood of all new crap[cough cough] i mean information when we(at least me) were kinda thinking they were just putting the finishing touches on the whole thing. now there's another engine in the mix???? i mean, all hate comments aside, it just seems kinda crazy this late in the mix to be shaking things up so much!
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #38
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I bet Saleen is behind it, LOL.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #39
UltimateAdam

Drives: 1998 Pontiac Firebird
Hey, I know I dont post that much, heck, like never, but I do check this site 4-5 times daily to see whats new.

I just wanted to say I too, was scared initially when I read the "premium" comment, but decided to hold my tounge until I saw a post from Fbod, which relieved me! I also agree with the post how people shouldnt be so quick to grab the pitchforks, its insulting the people who work hard on this dream, as well as the members of the board. It kinda reminds me of the people who say they are the biggest fan of a team, and then HATE them when they lose (and Im in Mass, so you can guess i hear it ALOT!!). Just be patient, as hard as it is, and it will come soon, it feels like just yesterday it was November, and now we are almost done with March!!! In fact, I dont mind the extra time, gives me more cash to put down
UltimateAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #40
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosc35 View Post
If you keep the hammer down you won't be at cruising speed . . . you will be going double the limmit in a rather short period of time.

Basically, active fuel management provides displacement on demand (its old name, I can't figure out why the changed it). So, if you need the power, its there. When you don't need that power, such as when cruising at 70 mph you don't need the ~100 or so hp that the engine is producign at that RPM. So it shuts down half the cylinders allowing for improved economy without hurting performance. When you touch the gas, you get all 6(+)L of V8 back and hear its mighty roar.

I don't know how well it will work for the Camaro, but go around to some Mopar forums, the Charger R/T has a similar setup and will drive their cars about the same as we will drive the Camaro. Im sure they have discussed the pros and cons of the system.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #41
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
I'm sorry, but after the intro of the original Camaro concept coupe back in '06 with the LS2 that was projected to get 30mpg highway my expectations have been rather high for the production V8 version, and they still are. I sent a PM to fbodfather under my alias @ CamaroZ28.com posing a question to him along the lines of "if my current car gets 23mpg combined, would I be expecting too much if I wanted to get that same combined mpg rating for the new Camaro V8??" His reply was something along the lines of "you'll be pleasantly surprised" - His exact words are somewhere around here, I know I posted it in here - So I would like to hold on to hope but the news released yesterday doesn't sound too encouraging if the 3.6 DI V6 is said to get only 17/24 city/highway respectively.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #42
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
If you plan on getting a V8, get a v8 and just chill.
If you plan on buying the v6, get a v6 and be happy.
If you were thinking about a v6 and now might want a 4 cyl Turbo, that's great too.
If you think the 4 cylinder camaro engine is a disgrace because no other pony car has had a 4 cyl, look at the 80's mustangs.

If you are concerned about the "preimum price" comment, let's wait and see if this is elaborated on within a few months. We'll know all the important information around fall when the Challenger is released because GM wants to let the public know that they have a superior product. If at that time you want to whine and bitch and complain, feel free.

As for me, I've set one of my life's goals to be owning a car with power, as well as having a '69 camaro RS/SS as my uncle had one. I have never seen it, but I've always wanted a muscle car for the V8 rumble and I want to be able to own a car that others can envy and that I can drag or pull on people almost at will.

The 5th Gen Camaro kills both these birds with one stone. This is one of my dream cars. If the "premium price" means I'm going to have to shell out 40k or more for the car of my dreams, I will just walk away. I will not buy a v6 because that's not what my life's goal is to own. I want the top, most powerful v8 I can get, but I'm not going to screw up my life trying to pay off a car loan that will cost me more than a down payment for a house. My dreams will be shattered but I won't be freaking out. I will keep the faith until official information is released, and I hope with all my heart that GM will make me proud and my dream a reality.
i dont think that its a matter of chillin'. its a matter that the whole camaro as a brand is doing. the mustang made a 4 cylinder motor as an option in the 80's. obviously it didnt work out for them. THIS IS A MUSCLE CAR. if you dont want to accept it as one dont,but it is concidered one. a 4 cylinder will be the death of the camaro FOREVE with no return. please gm do not mess this up and put a 4 cylinder turbo in it. yes i am buying the v8 version that doesnt mean i dont care about the cars other model. i may not ever buy the v6 but the 4 cylinder would be a disaster.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote