Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #15
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno Orange 2SS-RS View Post
Gave it some more thought. Instead of the gear selector, how about the TC / Stablelink button. It should disengage AFM when you hold it down to disengage TC and stablelink.
This button is definitely an option.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Food for thought...If you use the Cruise on/off button, not the set button, you are not disabling or enabling any feature other than arming the cruise. If you use the TC button then you are disabling/enabling a feature on the car you might want. I also think it's an easier button to negotiate while driving.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 10-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
daddy-o-X5

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS A6
Agree on the cruise on/off switch. It definitely affords easy accessibility without affecting any performance/safety. Would really like a good option of an easy kill switch on AFM before ditching the ginormous exhaust cans.
daddy-o-X5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
Food for thought...If you use the Cruise on/off button, not the set button, you are not disabling or enabling any feature other than arming the cruise. If you use the TC button then you are disabling/enabling a feature on the car you might want. I also think it's an easier button to negotiate while driving.

Add using the shifter D vs. M to this statement also.

The Cruise button fits the purpose PERFECTLY. And I like the way GM set it to stay on even when the car is shut-off and re-started.

Tuning it to a speed threshold was a last ditch option, using CC is a much better option.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #19
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Pretty sure you would need your car tuned even if you wanted to do this, but I do think it is a good idea. I believe AFM is only supposed to be enabled for a certain amount of time and then cycle, so you shouldn't leave it on while driving on long road trips, and it will also most likely trip the check engine light with a misfire code if you are driving with too much load with the AFM on. But for the guys that just want to shut it off this is a great idea but it might also pop up the check engine light. Just some things to think about.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #20
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
Pretty sure you would need your car tuned even if you wanted to do this, but I do think it is a good idea. I believe AFM is only supposed to be enabled for a certain amount of time and then cycle, so you shouldn't leave it on while driving on long road trips, and it will also most likely trip the check engine light with a misfire code if you are driving with too much load with the AFM on. But for the guys that just want to shut it off this is a great idea but it might also pop up the check engine light. Just some things to think about.
Good info...Don't know about the AFM needing to cycle? The roads here in New Mexico are pretty flat and allow me (no headwind) to stay in AFM for extended periods of time (30 min). Have you toyed with AFM other than just turning it off?

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #21
mlee
CamaroFans.com

I just figured if AFM was on it would cycle as normal... and off was totally off.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #22
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I just figured if AFM was on it would cycle as normal... and off was totally off.
True...But I believe he was referring to a statement that AFM can be made more aggressive The lifters must be pressurized in order to activate. This is done by solenoids in the intake valley. The only problem I could see by having more active would be overheating of the solenoids. IMO GM would not use any solenoid that was not continuous duty, I could be wrong

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

Old 10-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #23
okie2

Drives: RJT 2SS
The only problem I see with the C/C button is for those folks who have upgraded their exhaust. They seem to indicate they don't want AFM on at all. (Too much drone or annoying exhaust note at 1600-1800 rpm).

So, if activating the cruise would activate the AFM, they couldn't use the cruise - or wouldn't want too. If you're actually working on something, I think it should be a separate switch. It could even be mounted out of sight but within reach. This gives everyone total control over it and it can be used to suit their needs. Of course, if you're needing to pull something currently controlled by the ECM, this won't work.

On a side note, I know that Solo just introduced an l99 "drone free" exhaust and MBRP just got an l99 in for R&D on their exhaust. Hopefully one of these options will work for those of us who don't want a tune and void the warranty, but want a nice exhaust sound.
okie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #24
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie2 View Post
So, if activating the cruise would activate the AFM, they couldn't use the cruise - or wouldn't want too. If you're actually working on something, I think it should be a separate switch. It could even be mounted out of sight but within reach. This gives everyone total control over it and it can be used to suit their needs. Of course, if you're needing to pull something controled by the existing ECM, this won't work.
I believe the intent would be to have AFM on when Cruise was on... just makes sense that way...
Old 10-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #25
okie2

Drives: RJT 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I believe the intent would be to have AFM on when Cruise was on... just makes sense that way...
I guess what I meant to say, is those folks with loud exhausts wouldn't want AFM on when cruising. In other words, those folks may want to use the cruise, but still have AFM off.

There's a reason I don't have many posts! I'm not very good at explaining myself!

Last edited by okie2; 10-04-2009 at 04:09 PM.
okie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #26
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
This would have been the best (smartest) thing for GM to do, because if you're in "Sport Mode" you shouldn't be concerned with gas mileage.

Or a simple on/off switch like we have for the TC to just turn it off whenever we want.
You can not give the customer a choice to turn off a device or program that is responsible for the Fuel Economoy and Emissions performance.

What you are suggesting is no different than giving the customer the option to turn off the CAGS on the manual transmission cars.

So please don't think or lead people to think GM could have done something. If there were no CAFE to deal with, there probably wouldn't be AFM.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #27
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie2 View Post
I guess what I meant to say, is those folks with loud exhausts wouldn't want AFM on when cruising. In other words, those folks may want to use the cruise, but still have AFM off.

There's a reason I don't have many posts! I'm not very good at explaining myself!
Ahhhh gottcha... Then tune it out completely and forget about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You can not give the customer a choice to turn off a device or program that is responsible for the Fuel Economoy and Emissions performance.

What you are suggesting is no different than giving the customer the option to turn off the CAGS on the manual transmission cars.

So please don't think or lead people to think GM could have done something. If there were no CAFE to deal with, there probably wouldn't be AFM.
How bout an option to pay the gas guzzler tax and get it without AFM.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I sure would have paid... would be nice if GM could offer removing it via tune, and register the Vin as having paid the tax.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #28
FASST 1

Drives: Black 1SS
I had my car tuned so that AFM would only come on if I was going 55 mph or greater. I have headers and I can tell you that with headers AFM sucks at any speed. I use cruise control and would not want the AFM activated. It was a good idea, but another switch would be better to have more control so I can choose when to deal with the sound to get a little better mileage. The D vs M would be better.
FASST 1 is offline   Reply With Quote