Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Nitto INVO = horrible understeer

EDIT: This post only applies to 245 INVOS in the front which are great for daily driving but awful for handling. If you're considering getting INVOS and have an interest in any sort of competetive driving, trust me and get at least 275 INVOS for the front (obviously this requires wider front rims, but from what I hear, 275s up front are enough tire to handle these big cars).

I just wanted to give an honest review of the Nitto INVO tires in stock SS sizes (245/275) for anyone who might have considered them for use in auto-x/road courses/spirited driving on curvy roads... very unimpressive. I have a good amount of track experience with other cars, and I know camaros are heavy and push anyway yada yada, but I can safely say that the front 245 INVOs are some of the worst handling tires I've ever dealt with. They give relatively good feedback but squeal like a pig and require a considerable amount of extra wheel rotation to make the turn. The rears have great lateral and straight line traction though.

I knew I was giving up some handling with 245 INVOS up front, but I'm going to have to get AT LEAST sway bars just to get back to where I was with the P-zeros. Has anyone else had better luck with wider front INVOs?

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways

Last edited by Bmatth1162; 06-20-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I just did an auto cross event with the a few weeks ago. Noticed a little understeer but I attributed it to the stock sway. And granted they aren't the stock sizes (275 up front). Idk...I like em.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
its always a trade off with street tires. invos arent very stick and for a heavy car that likes to push it has issues with all season treadwear type tires.

tires is something that is worth going full retard on and having a track set.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
skar

Drives: 2010 2SSRS headers/CAI/tune/corsa,
I do not track the car . Mine do not squeal ! I don't think the are any better then the p zeros for 60 foot times. I am running 315 35 20 on back 275 up front. on TSW wheels 9&10" That said 245 invoes are not load rated for our cars weight. 275 are.
JL Audio XD400/4 amp
Pfadt trailing arms & tie rods sway bars.
pedders street 1 package. ,Hurst short throw shifter
With bronze bushings .
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Bmatth1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
I just did an auto cross event with the a few weeks ago. Noticed a little understeer but I attributed it to the stock sway. And granted they aren't the stock sizes (275 up front). Idk...I like em.
Yeah, I think my biggest mistake was sticking with 245s up front. The rear 275's have great traction, so I imagine having them up front would help a lot. If I get frustrated enough I might end up selling the 245s and getting 20x9 rims to put 275s up front. I'm just trying to let people know that they should avoid 245s up front for any sort of fun driving not in a straight line

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Old 06-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
sangerbanger58

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT/RS
Hmm I was about ready to buy these in a month. A friend told me to go with Toyo for some reason
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
for a 2lt Rs i've no problems, But I don't have the weight the V8's do. I'm Running the 245 45 20's on the front and the 275 40 20's on the back. Very sticky. I do not track my car, but I do get a little sprited with driving.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
I just wanted to give an honest review of the Nitto INVO tires in stock SS sizes for anyone who might have considered them for use in auto-x/road courses/spirited driving on curvy roads... very unimpressive. I have a good amount of track experience with other cars, and I know camaros are heavy and push anyway yada yada, but I can safely say that the front INVOs are some of the worst handling tires I've ever dealt with. EDIT: STRICTLY TALKING ABOUT 245s UP FRONT. They give relatively good feedback but squeal like a pig and require a considerable amount of extra wheel turn to make the turn. The rears have great lateral and straight line traction though.

I knew I was giving up some handling with 245 INVOS up front, but I'm going to have to get AT LEAST sway bars just to get back to where I was with the P-zeros. Has anyone else had better luck with wider front INVOs?

If this was too long to read... I've seen quite a few posts here asking about the INVOS. Don't get Nitto INVOS (in 245 up front) if you have any interest in the car's handling

exactly why I went with Invo 275s on the front and 315s in the rear.. locked solid and on rails in the autocross.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
was619
Billy The Kid

Drives: Cyber Grey 2SS/RS
I have the stock size 20x9s in the front as well as the back with a 1le front bar. the invos are great. under control in turns in the rain, they seem to have good tread life so far and have decent dry grip.

something that you might not be considering is that the sidewall is much less stiff on the invos than the Pzeros even though they both can handle the weight of the car.

275s all around feels great and balanced.

keep in mind you can buy the invos in the 275 width for $198 each before tax from tirebuyer . com....
Aesthetics: ZL1 Spoiler, DIY LED marker lights, AACPlasma DRL, Yellow Calipers, painted factory wheels
was619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
I just wanted to give an honest review of the Nitto INVO tires in stock SS sizes for anyone who might have considered them for use in auto-x/road courses/spirited driving on curvy roads... very unimpressive. I have a good amount of track experience with other cars, and I know camaros are heavy and push anyway yada yada, but I can safely say that the front INVOs are some of the worst handling tires I've ever dealt with. EDIT: STRICTLY TALKING ABOUT 245s UP FRONT. They give relatively good feedback but squeal like a pig and require a considerable amount of extra wheel turn to make the turn. The rears have great lateral and straight line traction though.

If this was too long to read... I've seen quite a few posts here asking about the INVOS. Don't get Nitto INVOS (in 245 up front) if you have any interest in the car's handling
I rented a Camaro recently on two occasions for autocross events since my Camaro is elsewhere....I forgot how sloppy these cars handle stock out of the box and even with the Pirelli's in the front, their 245's are no prize either when trying to get the Camaro to handle during aggressive driving...so I'm thinking the issue is more that 245 is too narrow for these cars, rather than any particular tires characteristics and handling...the INVO is a good tire...
Old 06-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Bmatth1162

Thanks guys, it's sounding like the problem is that I mistakenly went with stock tire sizes and it's just not enough tire in the front. Like I said I'm happy with the rear 275 invos. Sooooo this leads me to my next set of questions...

Does anyone know where to find a relatively good deal on a pair 20x9 SS silver rims and how to sell 2 week old 245 invos? Haha

Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Thanks guys, it's sounding like the problem is that I mistakenly went with stock tire sizes and it's just not enough tire in the front. Like I said I'm happy with the rear 275 invos. Sooooo this leads me to my next set of questions...

Does anyone know where to find a relatively good deal on a pair 20x9 SS silver rims and how to sell 2 week old 245 invos? Haha
So the plan is to run a square setup? That'll probably be a nice setup.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
Bmatth1162

Yeah I'll be looking for a pair 20x9 stock rims to run 275 up front. I guess my initial reaction to them wasn't giving the INVOs a fair shake with only 245s up front. My track car is an E46 M3 and I have 245 Pilot Super Sports up front and love them to death, I guess I underestimated the Camaro's weight and tendency to push when I got the INVO in 245 up front. I'll update this if I'm able to find the rims and get 275s on anytime soon. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Yeah it's definitely the 245 tire rating that's the issue. At 99W they have a softer side wall than intended while on our cars, makes sense that track performance would suffer...I have Invos in stock sizes and they are great for daily driving.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote