Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Dyno Results!

Made my final mod today with the installation of American Racing long tube headers, high flow cats, x pipe and a catch can. A couple of weeks ago I got a profession tune, CAI, and a mild/wild switch.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the Dyno results! 411 WHP and a calculated engine HP of 513. The calculated number seemed high to me as it assumes quite a high parasitic loss... At any rate the 411 to the rear wheels is acceptable and the thing sounds great! No drone whatsoever cruising or under light acceleration (I've got NPP). Under heavy acceleration it's LOUD! Sounds great!

I believe I'm done with mods, now I'll just enjoy!
Attached Images

Last edited by thompstl1; 04-04-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: correct spelling
thompstl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
The 411whp is not 511 at the flywheel. 411 would be about 472 at the flywheel which seems low for your mods. I see it is a Mustang dyno which I have worked with before, but it seems to be a very low ready dyno.

Did you baseline the car when stock?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Great numbers, Awesome looking car.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
thompstl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
The 411whp is not 511 at the flywheel. 411 would be about 472 at the flywheel which seems low for your mods. I see it is a Mustang dyno which I have worked with before, but it seems to be a very low ready dyno.

Did you baseline the car when stock?
My experience has been closer to a 20% parasitic loss between flywheel and rear wheel. I've read more than several posts where folks experience much less loss (or so their data would seem to indicate).

This particular shop and their dyno are very trusted in the Houston, Tx. area and that's why I chose them.

I've got a friend with a ZR1 that was bone stock and he produced 510 rear wheel horsepower which is 0.799 of the advertised 638 flywheel hp. Mine numbers were (411 over 513) which is 0.801. Almost identical % of his parasitic loss.

So who knows... the dyno gave me either the exact number or a ball park number.. I suppose I'm happy with either! Runs great, sounds even better!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
I tend to agree with Dropspeed based on most of the dynos I've seen of 1LEs with similar modifications. Was it a conservative tune or something, or did you tune at all? A CAI alone would almost get a 1LE to those WHP numbers.

Awesome pics though.

Last edited by DaemonGPF; 04-05-2014 at 02:14 AM.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
You guys have to understand chasis dynos should not be used t compare numbers from one car to another, although they are more accurate than they used to be there are too many variables. This is why all new cars have sae engine dyno numbers. 50-60hp is what i have seen for those mods and he never posted the baseline dyno numbers. Chasis dynos are for tuning and estimating hp not for accurate hp numbers.

Cmparing chasis dyno numbers to engine dynos and trying to understand why the parasitc loss calc doesnt work is like trying to compare the new atomic clock to a sun dial and wondering why the sun dial isnt as accurate.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
thompstl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonGPF View Post
I tend to agree with Dropspeed based on most of the dynos I've seen of 1LEs with similar modifications. Was it a conservative tune or something, or did you tune at all? A CAI alone would almost get a 1LE to those WHP numbers.

Awesome pics though, and
My tuner starts out with a conservative tune, then I read my computer with an auto cal during all types of operation... idling, normal driving, and when I made multiple runs at the Texas Mile. Then the tune is tweaked, re-read with the auto-cal, then re-tweaked again.

I'm actually pretty comfortable with the way the car runs regardless of the dyno numbers. The car holds it's own very well in competition... even against those Camaro's that tout the huge dyno numbers!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
thompstl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
You guys have to understand chasis dynos should not be used t compare numbers from one car to another, although they are more accurate than they used to be there are too many variables. This is why all new cars have sae engine dyno numbers. 50-60hp is what i have seen for those mods and he never posted the baseline dyno numbers. Chasis dynos are for tuning and estimating hp not for accurate hp numbers.

Cmparing chasis dyno numbers to engine dynos and trying to understand why the parasitc loss calc doesnt work is like trying to compare the new atomic clock to a sun dial and wondering why the sun dial isnt as accurate.
Amen!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:13 AM   #9
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Dynos are sorta subjective anyway. If it feels good, and it's laying the smack down, then who cares what the dyno reads?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:20 AM   #10
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post

Sun dials are perfectly accurate, it's simply human limits that denies us the precision to read one consistently to the degree that we can with an atomic clock. But I get what you're saying.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
B-_-RAD
Banned

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonGPF View Post

Awesome pics though.
My car made 410/410 with a k&n & longtubes untuned. To say an intake will get you there is a stretch.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

It wouldn't be terribly far off.. There's been some that have dynoed around 380-390 stock, so yeah an intake alone probably won't get you 411 but it's only a couple horses behind that. Plenty of intake dyno results around the web showing 15-20 WHP gains depending on the intake. I guess I was just figuring he would read higher with headers on there.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
SS MPSTR
Resident Artichoke

Drives: 14 1LE, 97 Z28, 07 Z06, 67 Chev SS
Don't waste your time trying to compare the results of differing types of chassis dynos. They will all read different, and the results are all relative anyway.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:02 AM   #14
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

I agree it's quite subjective. Best way to tell is the drag strip.