Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Question Flooded Car

Nope not from Issac from a local dealership.

What concerns should I have with standing water inside of a closed Camaro for three weeks in the heat of the summer? Where can mold grow and what can be done to clean and disinfect the car completely if anything? What effect on the wiring and electronic equipment if any is there? The water that is visible is in the back foot wheel area.

EDIT:: These trim pieces were left off.

Last edited by tramtwo; 08-30-2012 at 06:38 PM.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post

What concerns should I have with standing water inside of a closed Camaro for three weeks in the heat of the summer? Where can mold grow and what can be done to clean and disinfect the car completely if anything? What effect on the wiring and electronic equipment if any is there? The water that is visible is in the back foot wheel area.

May want to check with bossbunny. Her Camaro's floor got flooded. Usually the insurance will just total them because of the wiring issue but hers was deemed to be okay and there was a process to replace the carpet and whatnot.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
That freaking sucks. Demand they replace the interior. Mold can and will grow ANYWHERE there was water or the moisture that accumulated in the hot car. Go to a pick a part and check out cars that have been there a little while to see what water does to everything. I would be pissed. I am glad I went with the hardtop...the top woes I read on here REALLY SCARE ME.

I hope this gets resolved PROPERLY.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:

I assume that the water level made it above the center of the wheels? If so, you have wheel bearings, differential, and other components to consider in addition to your interior problems.

Electronic modules could be damaged, etc. If you want to quantify the damage and/or mold growth, take out the seats, console and carpet. Only then will you really be able to gauge the damage.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
if you didn't get mud in the vehicle you can usually save it by stripping out the interior, using a wet dry vac and getting as much and you can out..

then put some big ass fans in the vehicle to dry it out, and coat everything with this stuff:

http://www.waxco.net/product_images/...pray-550ml.jpg

it will prevent the wires and connectors from rusting..

the deal is to get on it ASAP, the longer you wait the worse it will be..

it is a lot of work, but we have saved a few cars from the totalling fate this way, we also treat our boats with it because we dunk them in salt water more than fresh water out here.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
May want to check with bossbunny. Her Camaro's floor got flooded. Usually the insurance will just total them because of the wiring issue but hers was deemed to be okay and there was a process to replace the carpet and whatnot.
I agree, you need to have someone (besides that dealer) look at it.

If it was just a an inch or two of water in the floor board, then you might just need a good cleaning (worst case, carpet replaced).

The wires in your picture being exposed are not too bad to worry about.
But if water got into any connections, then it could get bad.
Was the water deep enough to get into the electric seat motors?

I would be rather firm with the dealer that you want all carpet and padding replaced.

How did the water get in there? Someone leave the windows down, or is there a leak?
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
tramtwo

The car's top has a leak and it was stored outside by the dealer while waiting on parts for three weeks now. Can there be mold in the AC system?
Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Tramtwo,
I'm assuming yours leaked the way mine did. Water management bag drain tubes not seated properly? If so, doubtful there is any air conditioning damage. The water drains to the floorboard between the interior quarterpanel wall adn the exterior. There is a lot of insulation at the bottom there so that's probably completely soaked.

I don't remember if you're going the buy back route, but if you decide to let (I say let, because this should not be on your dime to fix) them fix it, it's painful to go look at.

The carpet is one piece. All seats, console, cushions etc need to come out. I thought about using that opportunity to run better speaker wires but gm bought the car back instead.

Anyway, your question was about AC. Like I said, doubtful. If it leaks where I assume it does, there aren't any ac vents in that space between the interior and external quarterpanel.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
tramtwo

Thanks. I am asking about the AC because the car has had a lot of standing water in it for weeks in extreme heat of the summer. Surely some of those vapors condensed... the smell is unbelievable.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Basically, it's totalled.

It can be fixed right. Completely stripped, disinfected, scrubbed, all soft part interior parts replaced.... there is a procedure to disinfect the HVAC ducting.... but realistically do you think a dealer is going to do that? You will never get that smell out of that car. It can be done, I've seen it done... but I highly doubt flat rate dealer techs are going to take the time and care it takes to do it right. Strip car, clean everything, replace anthing fabric/foam, reassemble car.... notgonnahappen.com. What will happen... Dealer throws new carpet in, sprays a little lysol in the HVAC... then months from now you will still be dealing with rank odors that just keep getting worse.

I'd tell them two words. New car.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
They will need to do an entire interior replacement

-Seats
-Carpet
-Head liner
-Maybe electrical items
-Dash will need to be removed
-All vents will need to be replaced
-complete disinfect of car

Insurance might total it depending on the cost my estimate is $15k
Old 08-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Thanks. I am asking about the AC because the car has had a lot of standing water in it for weeks in extreme heat of the summer. Surely some of those vapors condensed... the smell is unbelievable.
The key is right there.... "the smell is unbelievable".

Water leak cars can easily be fixed if caught before they go funky. Let it sit out in the sun for weeks like these assholes apparently did... and that car is ruined. Been there, done that, it's fuct.

It's not just the AC, it's the entire interior. Smells attach to everything. Hard surfaces can be cleaned and disinfected, anything soft/porous is ruined.

Here is how you can tell if they actually fixed it when all is said and done. When they say the car is fixed, take it out back in the sun and lock it up. Take the keys. Tell them you'll be back in one week to open the car up with the Service Manager and Owner of the dealership standing there as it opens. If after one week closed up in the sun, it smells fine... be on your way and thank them for a great repair. If it smells like a bum's nutsack, those idiots better be starting the paperwork on a new car.

Last edited by Russell James; 08-30-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
Oops!

Did ya check the trunk? There's probably a pool in the spare tire well.
1SSFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
You would think they would place an car cover on it while waiting on parts , I'm sure the dealer has a few,dum mother f****'s
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold water corrosion