Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
ZL1 Strut tower brace

Ever since I saw the first pics of the brace under the hood, I've bounced back and forth between "eye candy, probably not needed" and "jeez maybe the MRC and big tires are going to pull enough lateral G's to need it".

I seem to remember Pedders saying in the forums on this site that they make a brace for the Mustang but not the 5th Gen Camaro because in their opinion it doesn't need one due to chassis ridgidity.

Any thoughts, comments, rumors or guesses?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
When it first appeared on the convertible it made sense. I was surprised to see it on the ZL1. It's more weight, so it must serve a function.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Fishdadddy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ; 1970 Firebird Formula
Funny thing? Went to the Cadillac dealer to buy the wifes new CTS last week. They have strut tower braces on all of their cars? Even the wagons? What's up with that?
Fishdadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtrigger View Post
Ever since I saw the first pics of the brace under the hood, I've bounced back and forth between "eye candy, probably not needed" and "jeez maybe the MRC and big tires are going to pull enough lateral G's to need it".

I seem to remember Pedders saying in the forums on this site that they make a brace for the Mustang but not the 5th Gen Camaro because in their opinion it doesn't need one due to chassis ridgidity.

Any thoughts, comments, rumors or guesses?
I remember the comments you mention and I also remember comments from another vendor with a video where they actually show strut tower movement while driving. While I don't know, necessarily that the STB is required, being it looks aluminum, it's not a lot of weight, and given the extra weight and mass of ZL1, not to mention it's higher stock capabilities, I'm certainly in favor of the STB. I'm glad it polished; if it stays into production, I think it's eye candy, just like that LSA

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Me love eye candy!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Well, it would probably help. How much would it help (or is it even needed)? I have no clue.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Pfadt makes a strut tower brace. So does hotchkins and peddlers either is in the process or has one out. From what I have read it helps with handling by keeping the towers from flexing under heavy load.
macwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwest View Post
Pfadt makes a strut tower brace. So does hotchkins and peddlers either is in the process or has one out. From what I have read it helps with handling by keeping the towers from flexing under heavy load.
I haven't read anything about Pedders making an annoucement about developing one. I believe I remember them commenting on the fact the front apron area and strut tower areas are pretty different between G8s (and the Auzzie counterparts) and that CAMARO's was significantly more stout, but don't recall them saying it was necessary until you're building a race car - which they say they don't.

Anyhoow - I'm sure ZL1's is going to be functional and it certainly isn't going to hurt anything. Hopefully - with some nutzerts, or the like, that bar can trickle to SSs and V6s out there for those who might be interested. I know that sheetmetal is thick and tough in that area, but I'm sure it'd be a nice edition

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
stb's have been 50/50 for a long time. Some cars like fwd need them and you can feel a difference in the handling with them on it. I'm not sure about the Camaro's though. I dont have one but I do have every other suspension mod under the sun on my Camaro.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Me love eye candy!!!
A couple extra lbs maybe, but I'm sure it's lightweight and besides, anything you lose on weight you gain triple that in WOW factor

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
GM isn't going to waste development time and cost on a part like a STB if it wasn't needed. If that was the case they would have just thrown one on the SS. The performance of the ZL1 must warrant it.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
GM isn't going to waste development time and cost on a part like a STB if it wasn't needed. If that was the case they would have just thrown one on the SS. The performance of the ZL1 must warrant it.
Great point. I can see it, without thinking about it, for the ragtop, so ZL1 must see some benefit from it.

Excellent point!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #13
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
The strut tower brace does help with handling, anything that increases chassis stability like sub frame connectors and even down to the sway bars. I don't see it weighing that much, maybe 10lbs but it is worth its weight...

I would like to see the bottom of the Convertible's improved chassis treatment if anybody has a picture. The vert has several under-body braces that are basically bolt on and could be applied to the coupe. I am willing to bet that some of those bolt-ons will find their way to the ZL1.

As in the transmission support reinforcement brace, underbody tunnel brace and especially the front and rear underbody "V" braces.. The "V" braces are my bet but it wouldn't surprise me to see the other two as well...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
The strut tower brace does help with handling, anything that increases chassis stability like sub frame connectors and even down to the sway bars. I don't see it weighing that much, maybe 10lbs but it is worth its weight...

I would like to see the bottom of the Convertible's improved chassis treatment if anybody has a picture. The vert has several under-body braces that are basically bolt on and could be applied to the coupe. I am willing to bet that some of those bolt-ons will find their way to the ZL1.

As in the transmission support reinforcement brace, underbody tunnel brace and especially the front and rear underbody "V" braces.. The "V" braces are my bet but it wouldn't surprise me to see the other two as well...
Well I came across this in my tech manuals looking for the jack points. Compared to what little photos we have this looks like the underside of the vert.

Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote